[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Germany de jure own this? Debate.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3
File: 3v5p.jpg (387 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
3v5p.jpg
387 KB, 1000x800
Does Germany de jure own this?
Debate.
>>
>>745070
No.
>>
>>745070
Life isn't a GS game.
>>
>>745070
De jure means shit.

NK is,de jure, a democracy.
>>
>>745070
No.
>>
>>745181
This and no even if it was

They lost the German Empire in wars fair and square.

Oh and Germany has never won a war.
>>
>>745245
If it were a GS game they'd still have cores on large parts of Silesia, Kaliningrad, and east Prussia.
>>
>>745070
Bring back DDR.
Anyone wanna see my collection of DDR stamps?
>>
>>745259
>If it were a GS game they'd still have cores on large parts of Silesia, Kaliningrad, and east Prussia.

Since East Prussia was originally not even a German territory, I would say no.

Silesia maybe it would probably get assimilated and made into a core.
>>
>>745245
Didn't they win the Franco Prussian war.
>>
>>745271
They held most of their east provinces for enough time to core them. They would have had to renounce cores on the territories lost in WWI after WWII but you can't lose a territory and lose the core on it in the same war [spoiler]iirc[/spoiler]
>>
>>745272
The North German Federation did.
>>
>>745272
Prussia=/=Germany
>>
>>745272
That wasn't Germany that was Prussia. You could say German Empire is extension of Prussia and I would agree with you but Germans like to pretend that's not the case, especially the catholic Germans.

I feel like Austria has had and still has more claim to catholic parts of Germany than Prussian German Empire does. Hapsburgs even owned it for so long and Austria was the main German player in history for most of it.
>>
>>745070
germany was an empire, not a kingdom, so the polish duchies were never absorbed into the kingdom of germany
>>
>>745286
Otto would disagree
>>
>>745281
They lost parts of it in WW1 and then later in WW2. East also stayed under Soviet influence and as sovereign states enough to make the de jure not their cores I feel.

It obviously would depend on the capabilities of the states to make them their cores and at that point we would need to abstract those states into GSG terms which I can't be arsed to and feel is too autistic.
>>
>>745271
>German part of the family is from East Prussia
>tfw it's part of Pooland now
>>
>>745297
Otto's fucking dead so who gives a shit?
>>
>>745070

Germany has officially forsaken all it's claims, so no.
>>
>>745303
Well to be honest lad if your "German" part of the family is from East Prussia they are likely Germanized Balts and Polish.

I hate Germans for ruining legacy and accomplishments of Frederick II and Otto von Bismarck.
>>
File: Prussia_ethnic_1800_B.png (97 KB, 1058x1241) Image search: [Google]
Prussia_ethnic_1800_B.png
97 KB, 1058x1241
>>745303
>German part of the family is from East Prussia
>>tfw it's part of Pooland now

Most chances that they were Pooles themselves.
>>
>>745345
>I hate Germans for ruining legacy and accomplishments of Frederick II and Otto von Bismarck.

Hey, even Frederick William III still distinguished Germans from Prussians, the latter meaning all of his non-German subjects. The nationalistic Germanic idiocy, which backfired so spectacularly, started only with Bismarck.
>>
>>745070
Germany is rightful rus clay along with poland and belgium
>>
>>745414
I don't think Bismarck was nationalistic. Wasn't he more about linguistic unity than an actual ethnic German image?
>>
>>745414
What is funny that all this German larpers have real hard on on Prussia which was built mostly on germanized and non germanized Slavs and Balts.
Prussia and Austria both mixed or built on Slavic subjects were two main players and two only 'german' countries that actually achived something.
>>
>>745428
>I don't think Bismarck was nationalistic. Wasn't he more about linguistic unity than an actual ethnic German image?

Nope. Bismarck was a conservative, but also increasingly nationalistic as the years went. His hatred of Poles was borderline psychotic and he was deeply paranoid about Poles retaking eastern parts of Prussia. The irony is that Bismarck's policies was exactly what sparked the Polish national revival in Prussia as well as pushed the wavering Kashubians and Silesians into the Polish camp.
>>
>>745438
>What is funny that all this German larpers have real hard on on Prussia which was built mostly on germanized and non germanized Slavs and Balts.

Not to mention that much of the Prussian nobility were of Slavic descent. All those Puttkamers, Moltkes, Lichowskys, Oppeln-Bronikowskis etc. etc.
>>
>>745461
>he was deeply paranoid about Poles retaking eastern parts of Prussia

Well they did, didn't they?
>>
>>745245
>Herero war
>Boxer rebellion
etc.
>>
>>745493
>Herero
>A war

It was just another genocide.
>>
>>745475
Actually for some time the Prussia had a dual language Polish and German.
>>
>>745485
>Well they did, didn't they?

Yes, thanks to Bismarck and his Germanization policies, which galvanized Polish minority into action and revival.

Even better fail was Bismarck's poking the Catholic church. The church was deeply reactionary and did much to thwart the Polish revolutionaries by preaching the obligation to obey the rightful Prussian king. But Bismarck just had to make another enemy. The church, with all its organisational might, started to support the Polish movement.
>>
>>745393
>protty poles
what
>>
>>745514

Actually, for a time it seemed Polish would be the dominant language. Frederick the Great toppled the scales in favor of German by making this language the language of instruction in schools.
>>
>>745550

Yep, also in parts of Silesia there are protestant Poles. In Cieszyn Silesia the Lutheran church was actually the vehicle of Polish nationalism.
>>
>>745552
>we could have had a polish germany
>>
>>745556
I suppose they all got killed or emigrated in the interwar period and WWII aftermath then?
>>
>>745562
I don't think there would be a Polish Germany or even a Germany without Frederick II's accomplishments.
>>
>>745567
>I suppose they all got killed or emigrated in the interwar period and WWII aftermath then?

Nope. In Cieszyn Silesia the Polish Protestants are alive and better than ever.

In former Eastern Prussia, there's about 100k of them remaining. Most of the rest got assimilated by intermarriage with Catholics.
>>
>>745575
I would think we'd have a Grosser Germaniums under Vienna.
>>
>>745509
This is not about your opinion. They are classified as wars. Deal with it
>>
>>745516
History is really funny if you treat it seriously but not in serious way.
>>
>>745393
>Family from southern Germany
>Day wuz poles guiz
>>
>>745583
Prussian Polish Commonwhealth really sounds funny.
But definitly better than Polish Lithuanian.
>>
>>745600
Prussia started out as an autonomous duchy within the PLC. The branch of Hohenzolerns that ruled there became quite strongly polonized. Only after they died out, the duchy was taken over by the German-speaking Hohenzolern branch from Berlin.
>>
>>745614
Polish Polabie when?
>>
No it doesn't. Germany signed legally binding treaties wich made the Oder-Neiße border the ultimate border to Poland. Germany gave up every claim they might have had. The German Constitution only mentions the existing 16 German states, a territorial expansion is never considered anywhere.
>>
File: 1456356401359.png (105 KB, 1058x1241) Image search: [Google]
1456356401359.png
105 KB, 1058x1241
>>745393
Yeah...about your map. This is closer as of 1828 census.
>>
>>745070

>de jure

Of course they don't you fucking mongoloid. Germany's modern borders are well established in international law.
>>
No.
They lost any right to the territories they don't hold anymore after starting two World Wars and then losing both of them.
>>
were the eastern parts occupied by Germans or Poles? Why did Poland suddenly get so much land and did they expel all the Germans out?
>>
>>745892
>were the eastern parts occupied by Germans or Poles?
Germans
>Why did Poland suddenly get so much land and did they expel all the Germans out?
The Danzig corridor was just a fuck you to Germany and a "here you go little guy" for Poland, but in WW2, the point was to just punish Germany for starting another world war. And yes, they did expel the Germans out.
>>
>>745914
>The Danzig corridor was just a fuck you to Germany and a "here you go little guy" for Poland, but in WW2

No, the corridor was given to Poland because it was inhabited mostly by Poles.
>>
>>745892
>were the eastern parts occupied by Germans or Poles?

Corridor, Posen, Silesia and southernmost part of East Prussia were inhabited by Poles.
>>
>>745914
You're an idiot. The lands that were given to Poland after WWI had mostly Polish people. The city of Danzig had a majority German population, but that's it.
>>
>>745393
Masurians
>Poles
>>
>>745955
Only Katowice and maybe Oppeln were Pole majority in SIlesia
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.