[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Besides Czechoslovakia how many countries have separated peacefully
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5
File: 1455987011001.gif (12 KB, 419x327) Image search: [Google]
1455987011001.gif
12 KB, 419x327
Besides Czechoslovakia how many countries have separated peacefully and without any problem?
>>
>>726214
Central America and New Spain.
>>
>>726214
Luxemburg and the Netherlands
>>
>>726220
wat
>>
Yugoslavia.
>>
>>726737
Well Serbia and Montenegro did split peacefull
>>
Australia. A referendum or two, a few politely worded notes, and a vague plan concerning some of the state apparatus like courts of appeal, and we were independant.
>>
>>726317

The UPCA secession from Mexico was peaceful. Its internal politics afterwards, not so much.
>>
>>726737
they had a fuckin war dude
>>
>>726878
you're still tied to the UK
>>
>>726890
How, outside of sharing the same useless monarch?
>>
>>726949
we don't have 100% independence.
>>
>>726950
The Australia Act of 1986 severed any practical link between Australia and Great Britain. The only real link is the monarch, who is useless.
>>
File: independent.png (502 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
independent.png
502 KB, 800x600
>>726964
The cuckstamp is still there.

Besides that still means Australia is tied.
>>
>>726969
Nothing is stopping Australia from changing the flag or the monarch. Even then, those two things are entirely symbolic and changing them will do nothing but make Australians feel better about themselves.

Unless you are some butthurt wog or something, neither of those things should bother you.
>>
>>726981
why would a wog be butthurt? you're missing the point, Australia is still not 100% independent.
>>
>>726950

Almost entirely irrelevant in practise. Ceremonial links are hardly worth mentioning, and the GG might as well be a senior, PM appointed pressure valve.

>>726969
It's history. Nothing wrong with a symbol of it.
>>
Norway and Sweden.
Iceland and Denmark.
>>
>>726737
literally the bloodiest european war since WW2
>>
File: 1455820581415.jpg (64 KB, 428x287) Image search: [Google]
1455820581415.jpg
64 KB, 428x287
>>726737
>>
>>727532
Funny thing the war was very short
Also there we're very fee real battles
It was just Bosnian Serbs ehtnic cleansing of Bosnia which lasted 4 years
>>
>inb4 Canada
They are still a constitutional monarchy. Guess which monarchy.
>>
>>726214
Poland separated with Danzig and other German clay without any problem in 1939.
>>
>>728569
When ethnic cleansing is a part of the seperation I don't think you can claim that they seperated peacefully.
>>
>>728620
When war is part of the separation you can't call it peqcefull
>>
>>726887
>>726220
Central American here. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

If you're talking about Central America remaining royalist while New Spain proclaimed independence and became the Mexican Empire, then sure.

If you're talking about Central America seceding from the Mexican Empire after it was annexed soon after independence from Spain, that wasn't so clean. It took the United States to break the Mexican Empire for that.
>>
Serbia and Montenegro.

Tibet and Qing/Rep. of China.

Netherlands and Luxembourg (as well as Monaco, Lichenstein, etc.).

uhhh does Panama count? Though that was more great powers shoving their dick in SA's ass.
>>
>>726214
Sweden and Norway
>>
>>726983
it is essentially independent
the UK cant influence politics besides the governor general and his/her power is basically ceremonial and only there to make sure democracy isnt destroyed
>>
The Sudans.
Khartoum was literally "go ahead, you can separate, i'm ok with this"
>>
>>726214
No one mentions the USSR?
>>
ukraine :^)
>>
>>730914
that would never happen
>>
>>730881
> writing anything good about USSR
Should I start tipping fedora, or will you admit it was a bad joke and say that you are sorry?
>>
>>730619
Sudan has had an almost continuous civil war since independence.
>>
>>733233
The fuck are you on about? It's not about your opinion of the USSR. When the time came, the Soviet Union disassembled peacefully and without any major problem.
>>
Sweden-Norway
>>
>>733256
I'm tipping so hard right now
>>
>>733395
Not him, but that's not an argument and this sort of behavior should be frowned upon on /his/. If you disagree with what he said, make an actual point.
>>
>>733415
The (>>733233) is answering the question "why nobody mentions USSR": writing good things about USSR is a faux pas.
>>
>>733433
>writing good things about USSR is a faux pas.
No such thing. If there are no good parts about the USSR, then you should just refute the ones that are said. Just saying they are automatically wrong doesn't constitute a refutation.
>>
>>727363
Denmark was occupied during the separation, shouldnt really count
>>
File: august 1991.jpg (188 KB, 991x601) Image search: [Google]
august 1991.jpg
188 KB, 991x601
>>733256
>without any major problem.
>>
>>734150
Oh, did Eltin try to prevent Ukraine and Belarus from leaving? It dissolved without a hickup, which is quite surprising considering how fucked up it could have been
>>
>>734150
It is minor problem in grand scope of things. Could be much worse.
>>
>>734170
>>734173
I'm seriously thinking about any major power collapsing without strife or genocide and I can't. In the end, the only thing the USSR did right was an hero.
>>
>>734190
It's a matter of perspective, and ideological representation of that perspective. They did pretty well in WW2, for example.

And even that, it's a pretty controversian position to hold in /his/, even though it's unquestionably true. If you manage to rise your flag on the Reichstag, you probably did well enough against Germany in war.
>>
>>734210
>pretty controversial

Nomenclaturist regimes had a pretty oppressive streak, which softened a bit towards the 90s in most places(except Romania and Albania) but never, and I do mean never, were any of them genocidal. Corrupt as fuck, greedy sum'bitches, but not really violent ones. I speak of the late era politrucs of course. All of the Eastern Bloc esentially left the Warsaw pact and the USSR without bloodshed, which is kind of impressive. What is even more impressive is that neither country went out on a "hurr durr gib back clay" spree after the 90's, and a few of the more heavily armed ones(Poland and Romania come to mind) had every opportunity.
And then there's Yugoslavia.
>>
>>734296
>then there's Yugoslavia

You mean Serbia
>>
>>734190
Gorbachev is pretty based. He created the modern relatively peaceful world from what basically one step from mutual nuclear annihilation. Is is shame that people ignore this kind of political thought.
>>
File: raisa.jpg (37 KB, 316x500) Image search: [Google]
raisa.jpg
37 KB, 316x500
>>734310
You'd be surprised how well Gorby is seen among former Warsaw pact countries. Shit even us right-leaning fags have respect for the man.

You have to give it to the nigga tho, he scored with that Liv Ullman-looking qt while sporting no hair and that fucking skidmark on his forehead. Nigga had game
>>
>>726969
perhaps symbolically and in theory? There are no actual practical implications of this though are there
>>
>>734539
No, although Straya usually is in league with UK/US whenever shit is going down. Like Vietnam.
Any strayans here? Are there a lot of Vietfags roaming around or did Romper Stomper lie to me?
>>
>>733256
Have you heard about resent Ukraine crisis? Or maybe about war in Georgia in 2008? That's all about consequences of USSR collapse.
>>
>>734190
You should read more about what happened with ethnic Russians in Central Asia republics, Chechnya, Dagestan, Kasakhstan and Khakasia. And about wars in Georgia. And about war between Armenia and Azerbaijan. And about war in Tajikistan.
I know it's hard to find sources about this, even in Russian there're only few of them, mostly just memoirs of people.
>>
>>734573
Yeah, but the seperation itself was peaceful.

Would you say the Treaty of Versailles was an act of war because it was WWI that brought it into existence?
>>
>>728737
A donkey died and was the only casuality in the independence of Panama, so, not peaceful at all.
>>
is it really worth fighting for independence?
>>
>>728737
Tibet and Qing/Rep. of China wasn't peaceful at all. Brits forced them to do it.

When all the white bois stupidly BTFO themselves off in both world wars and when China got unified under the PRC, they took it back.
>>
>>734296
But Yugoslavia wasn't part of the Warsaw pact. They were one of the leading figures in the independent 3rd world movement.
>>
>>738871
>the Warsaw pact
i hear this a lot, what is it?
>>
South Africa
>>
>>726214
It could've been Scotland and the UK, but the cucks voted no.
>>
>>740166
It was an "alliance" Russia made to combat the U.S led NATO alliance. I put alliance in quotes because while NATO actually was an alliance between the independent nations of Western Europe that joined of their own will (even if pressured by events) for self defense, The Warsaw Pact was entirely forced upon the unwilling countries of East Europe to better enslave them to Russia.See how when Hungary tried to leave the Pact Russia invaded them Yugoslavia is unique in that it was an Eastern European communist state that rejected the Warsaw Pact and Russian servitude and struck out on it's own. They managed to do this mostly because the Yugoslavian dictator Josef Tito was a hardcore mothafucka who personally threatened and may have even assassinated Stalin.
>>
>>735029
a donkey and a chinaman, both by a colombian cannon shot
>>
>>740348
oh i see. thats really interesting. was stalin assassinated? I don't know how he died
>>
Does Finland and Russia count?
>>
>>740457
Stalin officially died of natural causes, but this being the Soviet Union you can never entirely trust their account. The fact is his death was very sudden and quick, like a poisoning. Adding to this it happened immediately after Josef Tito's aforementioned death threat. Another possibility is that his Doctor poisoned him as immediately prior to his death he had been beginning another round of purges said doctor knew he was on the list for. In the end we'll never know for sure as the Soviet government wanted Stalin buried and gone as quickly and with as little controversy as possible.
>>
>>742321
>you can never entirely trust their account
I thought it was generally accepted that Stalin's paranoia about doctors gave Beria the opportunity to basically let Stalin slowly die on the floor rather
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.