[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Although Napoleon was not particularly short, why was he given
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4
File: 1452889080366.jpg (23 KB, 260x332) Image search: [Google]
1452889080366.jpg
23 KB, 260x332
Although Napoleon was not particularly short, why was he given nicknames by his soldiers referring to him as if he were, such as "Le Petit Caporal" and "Le Petit Tondu"?
>>
>>723381
Because he had a tiny penis
>>
>>723381
Le Petit Caporal is because he rose from low ranks I think
Kinda a mark of respect to remind of all he achieved, and in the spirit of the revolution (merit as opposed to birth right)

Le Tondu was not preceded by "petit", you made this one up
>>
>>723392
I don't know if it's accurate, but I just found as part of a list on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grande_Arm%C3%A9e_slang
>>
>>723381
Because they were affectionate nicknames.
>>
>>723402
This, petit carries affection.
We say "petit-ami", "petite-amie" for boyfriend and girlfriend.
Nickname may be translated as "sobriquet" or "petit nom"...
>>
>>723399
>Déjeuner à la fourchette (lunch on a fork, or eating lunch with a fork)
>a bayonet attack

>embrassé par une demoiselle (kissed by a young lady)
>wounded by a cannonball

>La Fête (The Party)
>War.

>Pousser la botte au cochon (to kick [lit. push one's boot against] the pig)
>running one's sword through somebody's throat

>Se faire laver les cheveux avec du plomb (to have one's hair washed with lead)
>to be executed by firing squad.

>Les Sauterelles (Grasshoppers)
>British riflemen, who wore green uniforms rather than the red uniforms issued to common British infantry.

>Les soldats à la crème (soldiers served with cream)
>Austrian troops (because of their white uniforms).

FUCKING
KEK
>>
>>723437
This is amazing
>>
>>723399
>Les Cousins de l'Empereur (The Emperor's cousins)
>Corsicans.
>>
>>723381
>not particularly short
he was tall for a Frenchman at the time. He was three inches above the average height in his country in the early 19th century. That is equivalent to calling a six foot tall man in America today short.
>>
>>723645
The Nappy being short meme was just British propaganda as French inches were longer than British ones making Nappy look shorter on paper. Also didn't help the imperial guards were tall as fuck.
>>
>>723382
Well we don't know for sure because it's really old and kept in some box.
>>
>>723399
>La Fête
>>
>>723382
>tfw Nappy was cucked by a Hussar Dudebro Chad
Not Even Napoleon can defeat chad
>>
>>723399
>la savate (the old boot)
>an informal punishment where a soldier who had committed an infraction against his fellows was forcibly bent over and then kicked in the buttocks by his squadmates. Typical charges were for concealing small valuables or loot, badly preparing the squad's meal, straggling on the march, or arriving too late on the battlefield. Victims were sentenced to either the "thin" or the "fat" of the boot depanding on the severity of the infraction. Using the "thin" part was kicking with the sole or side of the toe (which was less painful) and using the "fat" part was stomping the target with the heel of the boot (which was more painful).
>in the Grande Armée badly preparing the squad's meal or arriving too late on the battlefield would get your ass kicked
This is hilarious.
>>
>>723778
>arriving too late on the battlefield
>>
>>723756
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Charles_Louis_de_Lasalle

Hussars were great. This fucking guy in particular was awesome.
>>
>>723781
I now have this image of Davout kicking Bernadotte in the arse after Jena–Auerstedt.
>>
>>723783
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_Charles_Louis_de_Lasalle
I had heard Lasalle's name before but never read about him. Funny, I thought Murat was a badass before reading that link. It seems Lasalle should have had the position Murat did.
>>
>>723887
Lasalle was way too reckless to be a Marshall (one Ney was enough). Can you imagine being his aide-de-camp and trying to keep him in place once a battle start?
>>
>>723943
>Can you imagine being his aide-de-camp and trying to keep him in place once a battle start?
I'd fucking love it, desu. Him just sitting there white cannon balls whiz past him without flinching would be fucking awesome to be a part of. The party was wherever Lasalle was.
>>
>>723783
>tfw will never be a Hussar fighting under Lannes
>>
>>723756
I honestly feel like Napoleon was a huge robot who was lucky enough to have a great military mind.

He was downright weird in his younger years and even wrote bad fanfiction about himself.
>>
>>725750
>Napoleon was that weird robot who got really into ROTC and RTS games but who eventually made something big out of himself
>inspire a nation, conquer an empire
>made the inbred normie royals shit their pants out of fear
>even got confident enough to make it back out of exile because normalfags thought they could keep him down
>become known as one of the greatest military minds of all time, highly respected for his brilliant tactical mind

>normies make fun of him for being short
THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS
>>
>>725930
It's ok, at least in France, if he came back from the dead he could go full dictator within a year.
>>
Cause Napoleon was a salty manlet cuck. My chaplain told me yesterday that when Napoleon was advancing through Austria his fedora nature got the better of him and he went into a Dominican church, excavated the graves of all the clerics, and then re-buried them with the horses that he had lost in battle.
>>
>>726184
t.anglocuck
>>
>>723399
>Les Goddams
>British infantry
the French be based af yo
>>
>>723399
Are we looking at a list of early 19th century memes?
>>
More like Le perdu à Waterloo amirite?
>>
>>725930
>>725750
>Napoleon

>robot

But he's not fat and ugly

He's aesthetic as fuck
>>
>>726200
More like defeated 5 european coalitions and conquered France without firing a single gunshot
>>
File: I'm upset.jpg (52 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
I'm upset.jpg
52 KB, 500x366
>>726218
And yet it all came crumbling down at the end, some general Napoleon was.

[spoiler]Napoleon was good, but people need to realize that he lost[/spoiler]
>>
>>723392
>Le Petit Caporal is because he rose from low ranks I think
>Kinda a mark of respect to remind of all he achieved, and in the spirit of the revolution (merit as opposed to birth right)

More to do with the fact that he insisted on helping to sight the cannons himself before battle, which is a corporal's job.

Napoleon not only rose up from the ranks, he maintained a sense of great humility and fellowship with his soldiers, doing their jobs, eating their food, sharing their miseries to a great extent, and also sharing the same risks, fighting right at the front sometimes.

Even though he is always depicted as a egomaniacal self-styled Caesar in his paintings, he never acted like that in front of his men.
>>
>>726229
Definitely saved the Republic and won both the hearts of men and long term History. Besides Jesus he's the only man that had as much literary work dedicated to him. He won.
>>
>>726229
Every man dies. Not every man truly lives.
>>
>>726235
>YFW Napoleon never got hit when he was at the front because everybody was aiming above his head
>>
>>726202
He got pretty fat look >>726229
>>
>>726242
Hey, Vietnam is immortalized in culture, but that doesn't mean the US won.

>>726243
I dunno if I'd call having your empire destroyed by a faggot named after roast-beef "living".
>>
>>725930
>made the inbred normie royals shit their pants out of fear
>normie
>nobles

Nobility was the opposite of normies. French revolution was the start of chad-thundercocking.
>>
>>723399
Damn that's nice
>>
>>726256
Do I need to post the death mask every thread or something?
>>
>>726265
Wellington didn't destroy shit senpai. It was the russians.
>>
>>726279
I mean, fair enough. But everybody remembers him as the guy who beat Napoleon (with good-ish reason).
>>
>>726265
Wellington is a meme.
>>
>>726290
We're all memes at the end of the day Anon.
>>
>>726289
No, Wellington was shit that got wrecked during all the spanish campaigns when facing serious opposition and didnt got defeated at Waterloo because
1) Unexpected Prussians
2) Napoleon doing mistakeshe wouldnt do usually (he was sick and growing old)
3)Coincidences, shit weather
Wellington himself was sure he would lose.
>>
>>723399
A lot of those are style used today and very common
>Arme blanche
>Briscard
>Débine (less common)
>Dur à cuire
>Friser
>Tourner de l’œil
>Bougre

although I don't know if they were all created during the Grande Army
>>
>>726308
>Unexpected Prussians
If you mean Grouchy fagging around, then yes.
>>
>>726322
Les Rosbifs is still used as an insult for Britbong
>>
>>726326
No, Napoleon was to blame, Grouchy was sent on an impossible mission. He would have been more useful some way else than following the order of dicking around to try to spot lost prussians
>>
>>726308
Wellington's defense of Portugal literally kept England in the war. Had he failed the French could have secured the Portuguese fleet as a replacement for their own and put the boot into the Iberians allowing him to turn his attention elsewhere. To devalue Wellington's defensive victories is retarded. Without Portugal the English would have had difficulty finding a single friendly port in mainland Europe and probably would have left the war.
>>
>>726348
Yeah, i just went ahead and expressed the french point of view at that time. Still very far from great
>>
>>726335
Yeah that one too, I didn't mention it because I think it well known at least around here
>>
>>726357
He was pretty great as far as English generals at the time go even if he isn't historically great. His singular leadership and political sway kept other pussy Englishmen in line. His being declared Generalissimo of the dumbfuck spainish kept them from ruining things as well.
>>
>>726378
But crap compared from France's dream team
>>
>>726392
to*
>>
>>726392
You mean the dream team that lost?
>>
>>726402
>7 tries
>>
File: 1452301574738.jpg (137 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1452301574738.jpg
137 KB, 500x500
>>726202
>implying robots can't be aesthetic
>implying it's not [spoiler]all in their heads[/spoiler]
>>
>>726402
7-2. I wouldnt call that a loss
>>
>>723381
They were terms of endearment.
>>
>>726504
That's a loss, seeing as how the final go was a failure.
>>
>>723381
Literally a forced meme, OC by the Eternal anglo
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.