[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Holidays
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: dzhWX.png (283 KB, 591x901) Image search: [Google]
dzhWX.png
283 KB, 591x901
Can we have a thread about the origins of various holidays?

I'll start. Christmas is pagan.
>>
>>71134
They timed Christian holidays to pagan holidays so pagans didn't have to do much cultural transitioning with this method in place.
>>
Independence day (July 4) is Marxist.
>>
Halloween is Buddhist
>>
>>71134
>>71169
This isn't actually true.

Early Christian writers were ashamed of the fact that Christmas was associated with the same day as a Pagan holiday and Pagans made fun of them for it. A lot of Christians wanted to change it.
>>
>>71134
Festivus is Jewish
>>
>>71224
>Early Christian writers were ashamed of the fact that Christmas was associated with the same day as a Pagan holiday and Pagans made fun of them for it. A lot of Christians wanted to change it.

Citation needed
>>
>>71204
>>71173
Wat
>>
>>71238
For the rest of us!
>>
>>71238
So is Christianity
>>
>>71134
In Slavic mythology, the 25th of December was the day to remember the birth of the son of the main god Svarun (alternate name Svarog), Svarožič (Literally translates to Svarun's son).
>>
>>74336
Is that the original? Seems like December 25 pops up a lot
>>
>>74446
I'm pretty sure it's a legit date.

Also, forgot to mention: In Slovene, the word for Christmas is božič, which also translates into son of God. That also comes from the old Slavic tradition.
>>
>>74506
Just when you thought Christianity couldn't be anymore unoriginal
>>
>>74541
We still keep a lot of old traditions, like dressing up to scare away winter in February and burning pyres on the night before the first of May to welcome spring.
>>
>>74446
It was the birthdate of Mithras as well, a deity that goes back to Zoroaster
>>
>>74588
So which is older?

Who first decided December 25th was so special?
>>
>>71134
Advent is older than Christmas OP. How can it be pagan?

You should read some church history. It's actually good historical reading too since it explains what's going on in their time aside from church politics.
>>
>>74631
Probably whoever first discovered that days were getting longer and nights were getting shorter at that point in the year.
>>
>>74685
>Advent is older than Christmas

Gonna need a Citation on that
>>
>>74587
I love bonfires. Traditionally it has been done in my family around Thanksgiving or Christmas
>>
>>74716
Who was that?
>>
>>71134
Christianity is such a virus
>>
>>74159
so true
>>
>>71224
It's so fucking true it is in the OP, in great detail
>>
>>77444
Nice trips of truth
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.