[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good /his/ related youtube channels and podcasts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 9
File: HH-current-239x239.jpg (21 KB, 239x239) Image search: [Google]
HH-current-239x239.jpg
21 KB, 239x239
What are some good /his/ related youtube channels and podcasts?
Except of course pic related.
>>
history of rome
history of byzantium
history of the crusades
history of english
revolutions
the memory palace
futility closet
>>
>>710822
History on Fire
>>
File: 1394517148662.jpg (35 KB, 479x591) Image search: [Google]
1394517148662.jpg
35 KB, 479x591
>>710822
>listen to Hardcore history because /his/ likes him
>he's pretty good, kind of rambles a bit
>really excited to hear his take on the fall of the Roman Republic
>13+ hrs between 6 episodes

O-okay Dan.
>>
>>713238
Books that cover the fall of Rome without being simplified bullshit aren't measured in chapters, they're measured in volumes.
>>
>>713258
Suetonius did it in like 50 pages.
>>
>>713238
Punic Nightmares and Death Throes of the Republic are some of the best shit ever, just put them on while you doing something unimportant.
>>
>>713238
The long series' are the best shit

His one off episodes don't do much for me
>>
>>713238
Do you want to learn about the fall of the Roman Republic or don't you?
>>
>>710822
>youtube channels and podcasts
While not exactly either, the Yale Early Medieval History course videos are pretty good for a concise overview about the birth of Europe.
>>
I like the History of Japan Podcast. Japanese hisotry isnt my thing but i enjoy that one.

>>713890

King of Kings was shite.
>>
>>714021

Agreed. Ghosts of the Ostfront was the best
>>
>>714021
>>714074
Is King of Kings a standalone or is it gonna be a two-parter?

Why didn't you guys like it? It was kinda convoluted, but he said right off the bat that it would cover an insanely long time period.
>>
>>714021
I didn't care too much for history of japan. It wasn't one thing but too many small insignificant things just built up and I dropped it.
>>
>>714100

Personally, I don't like older history. I just couldn't get a 'feel' for the location of all the tribes. Also, the good bit seemed rushed
>>
>>714200
Gotta agree with you there.

>Also, Cyrus died and that other guy's mom dunked his severed head in a bucket full of blood, lol
>>
The problem with his standalones is he doesnt plan them for a standalone, i think he writes and then condenses which doesnt convert well.

>>714100
>Why didn't you guys like it?

> I just couldn't get a 'feel' for the location of all the tribes.

I think it was just poor story telling. He gave very little information about each group/person before moving on to something else.

I literally finished it this morning and can barely remember any of it. Except the spartan beginning, the boning the dudes wife after he was executed and Cyrus head wine thing that he ends with probably wasnt true.
>>
I was enthralled by Wrath of the Khans and Blueprint for Armogeddon, but I found Kings of Kings rambling nonsense. The problem with history at literally the beginning of civilisation is that you feel so disconnected, not to mention most of it is most likely untrue.

Why the fuck hasn't Carlin covered the 30 years war yet? It seems ripe for a HH.

>>713890
Didn't you enjoy the Munster Rebellion episode?
>>
In our time podcasts by the BBC, taken from BbC Radio 4, each one is of a decent length with the most dicusssiing a certain historical, figure, event, idea, concept with a series of academics who are authorities on the topic, normally taken from universities around the UK

All are free to download too
>>
>>714518
In Our Time is way too short. And Melvin has a habit of cuuting off his guests, but it's good podcast apart from that.
>>
>>713238
>>713281
This, I like to put them one while I play video games.
>>
>>714362
That Cyrus head wine thing is in Herodotus' Histories. I wouldn't doubt it being true, but I also wouldn't doubt it being false. Crazy ass shit happened
>>
>>714482
Oh god, a 30 Years War HH, that would be godly
>>
>>715916

It was the way Carlin did it that annoyed me.

He spends 30 minutes in his dramatic story voice telling how Cyrus lost his head, then ends with a comment along the lines of "well alexander visited his tomb, nobody wrote that anything was wrong with the body. This was the epitaph..." Cue dramatic music buy square space.
>>
>>710822
history on fire is pretty good
>>
History of Byzantium is at the 800s and History of the Crusades starts around the 1000s. Any good podcasts to bridge the gap until Byzantium catches up in like 100 episodes?
>>
>>713036
>BAXELILY
>BAXELILY
>BAXELILY
>BAXELILY

I like the guy, but that accent takes some getting used to
>>
>>714482
>>715921
He only covers whats he knows well.
The reading he did for WW1 was insane
So unless he has mentioned the subject before you will have to wait a long time for him
>>
>>716843
What does he know well?
>>
>>716896
Well he mentioned China a lot in Khans and elsewhere occasionally. And he is hugely into military history and WWII. Maybe like Ostfront he will do the lesser known China Japan conflict of WWII.
>>
>>716896
He isnt up front about it, because he doesnt want to spoil whats coming out.
He has this old media attitude about revealing the future subjects
But if you listen to him talk, in early shows of HH and CS he talks about some stuff he likes.
He has mentioned doing the Peloponnesian war which is the first and best 30 years war
>>
Civil War Hardcore History when?
>>
>>716978
American Peril is my favorite HH because you get to hear Dan say
>nigger
>Goo Goo
>Gooks

I cant imagine how nigger the word ladden a civil war HH series would be?
I cant handle this level kekry
>>
>>716822
What is this trying to pronounce?
>>
>>710822
Oh cool, a podcast by some rambling libertarian that uses a 60 year old popular history book as its primary source material for everything he does

"And a-geen, I turn to Will Durant..."
>>
File: 1455737515724.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1125) Image search: [Google]
1455737515724.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1125
"Revolutions" and Mike Duncan's previous podcast "History of Rome" are my favorites after HH. History of the Crusades is interesting and I can't help, but smile at the narrator's (some middle aged Australian mom) quaint enthusiasm for the subject, wouldn't surprise me if she taught middle school history.
>>
>>717350
What are the issues with the Durant's work?
>>
>>710822
The Great War is a fantastic youtube channel.
>>
>>714482
I feel that the munster rebellion doesn't get much attention because it's a one off episode. It's his best work in my opinion. The way he brings you back to the beginning of the story with the execution was great story telling.

They actually made a German movie about the rebellion. Christoph Waltz plays van leiden.
>>
>>717473
I'd love to watch it. Christoph is one of my favorite actors. Any links to it with English subs?
>>
>>717226
Basically
>>
>>710822

his rome and genghis khan podcasts are must listen
>>
>>717599
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106051/

I think it's this
>>
>>717428
Nothing wrong with using an accessible omnibus history, but seriously, Mike Duncan is referencing and building his stories around books that were first published in the 1930s and 1940s - which, come on, are super out of date now

It's like using Edward Gibbon as your main source for Roman history right now

(don't do that)
>>
>>718310
How has Roman history changed in the past 70 years?
>>
>>717473
>>714482

Munster Rebellion was the Prophets of Doom episode right? Fucking great episode that.
>>
>>717599
>>718310
That's the one. I watched it without subs lol. I studied German for a year but only caught a few words. Great movie even though I didn't understand jack shit.
>>
>>718386
Yes it was. It made me sad to hear him say he didn't really like the way it turned out. Dan seems to be too hard on himself.
>>
>>717430
>>717430

Seconding this.
>>
>>715010
Me too, It's so relaxing and informative.

Used to play tons of War Thunder tanks while listening to HH. I've listened to all the long series multiple times and they are good every time.

I want series about the rise of islam, 7 years war, 30 years war, china anything, and ottoman empire.
>>
You might like The Rex Factor podcast, it's a podcast that reviews all the Kings and Queens of England and determines if they have the rex factor.
>>
>>715010
Honestly, the only time I can listen to podcasts is while driving or if I'm literally doing nothing else but lying in my bed. I can't seem to retain information if I do anything else, dunno how you remember anything if you are playing even the least engaging videogame of all time.

>tfw on part 6 of Blueprint for Armageddon
>tfw will have to shill out money soon to listen to more

I might just relisten to all of Blueprint again, to make sure I retain most of it.
>>
Joe Rogan Experience's Graham Hancock podcast eps
>>
>>718420
you can find them in many places
>>
>>718310
Duncan mostly used primary/historic secondary sources and some modern authors- specifically Holland, Heather, etc. Like for Julian he mainly used Ammianus Marcellinus and Adrian Murdoch's The Last Pagan.

I really appreciate Duncan because he's detailed and apolitical. It's really shit when you can here the podcaster's bias in the podcast- I can't stand the British History Podcast for that (also it's really clumsy and there's no reason he has to veer off for Scotcasts and Welshcasts, you can cover them in the narrative if you can cover all of England in it. His description of life in Anglo-Saxon and Roman Britain were very good, though, but he's not any good at building a narrative.)

As someone mentioned the Open Yale lecture on the Early Middle Ages, I'm obliged to mention Donald Kagan's Introduction to Ancient Greece on there. Kagan's obviously rather up there in years, but he's still a master of the classics.
>>
>>718420
>>718468

Blueprint, Khans and Prophets of Doom are all free on youtube/"podcast" app
>>
File: Capture.png (128 KB, 805x830) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
128 KB, 805x830
>>718536
Yeah, but punic nightmares, death throes of the republic, etc. aren't
>>
File: an american bum.jpg (68 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
an american bum.jpg
68 KB, 600x600
>>718544
there's a torrent that has everything up to and including Khans.

Or you could support poor ol Dan
>>
>>718544

I downloaded a torrent of episodes 1-48.
>>
This guy did a great podcast on British history
http://bingethinkinghistory.blogspot.com/
>>
>>718551
>>718553
Torrent doesn't have the extra bonus ones.
>>
>>718585
I have an mp4 of Khan extras.
If only there was something easy to upload it too
Oh wait
https://mega.nz/#fm/GIACBZ6Z
I dont know how long it will last so it grab now
>>
>>718621
Cool. Thanks. I get home in about 2 hours. I'll make sure grab it right away.
>>
File: coolice2.jpg (21 KB, 454x318) Image search: [Google]
coolice2.jpg
21 KB, 454x318
>>718544
>>718553
pay the fucking man his few bucks. the research he does for his episodes is immense.
>>
>>718720
I did at least give him youtube views ad bucks.
>>
>>710822
It's become fashionable to trash Dan Carlin. His podcasts kick ass for what they're worth, and he's constantly abundantly clear how much they're worth and to what extent he can speak for certain things. And yes, they are worthwhile. People need to get the fuck over themselves.
>>
>>713266
??
>>
File: images (1).jpg (5 KB, 203x249) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
5 KB, 203x249
>>718727
The way I look at is for a series like Ghosts of the Ostfront, it's only 6 bucks. That's a dollar per hour of entertainment on sometime that the guy threw months into, which I want more of. Only way to guarantee he keeps producing is to support him. It's a lot different than paying 15 dollars for a shit movie on itunes from a studio that doesn't care if they lose money.
rant over.
>>
>>710822

War college lectures tend to be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Clz27nghIg
>>
>>718749
fack
>something
>>
>>718621
This links to the mega account login page not the file.
>>
>>718553
link to torrent?
>>
>>718405

Caspian Report has a 5 part series on the early days of Islam

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLv-SNV2XmnZkJAGWGRKWTWheqEjEejQnf
>>
I'm a huge fan of Astonishing Legends. They go after topics like the Knights of the Golden Circle, Oak Island, Dyatlov Pass, etc., hence the "Legends" part.

But holy shit if they don't do a good job of digging and presenting all historical opinions, finds, conclusions on the topic at hand. They spent 3 hours analyzing every theory on Oak Island and did a good job explaining the historical context of piracy in the 17th and 18th century.
>>
Should I buy Punic Nightmares or Death Throes?
>>
>>719319
Punic nightmares is better imo
>>
Is there a better free podcast app than Stitcher because using that I was going to listen to the Bowery Boys but the uploads are fucked and only go back to episode 100.

>>717415
Does the Crusades podcast ever fall too much into "MUH PEACEFUL MUSLIMS, INSHALLAH" OR "MUH HOLY LAND, DEUS VULT" shit? I'd be willing to listen as long as it doesn't go too far into one end or the other.
>>
>>718749
>That's a dollar per hour of entertainment on sometime that the guy threw months into
>It's a lot different than paying 15 dollars for a shit movie on itunes

You mean, a movie a few dozens up to a few hundred people threw months of work into? :^)
>>
>>719319
>>719763

Death Throes are better imo
>>
>>719856
It doesn't really do that
>>
>>714545
Time management. It'd be a better show most of the time if they had two hours (the podcast extras help some), but he's pretty amazing at having his guests get to all the key points in the time they have.
>>
File: 1454785382454.png (96 KB, 231x220) Image search: [Google]
1454785382454.png
96 KB, 231x220
>>719856
No it's a fairly straightforward account. I mean, if you're going to lose it every time she mentions a moment where one side acted barbarous or another acted magnanimous then maybe it's not for you.
>>
Besides the obvious Duncan and Carlin podcasts mentioned above...

Forgotten weapons - https://www.youtube.com/user/ForgottenWeapons - I don't have any particular interest in weapons (don't even browse /k/) but Ian is ultra comfy to listen to. He seriously knows his history, and I sponsor his Patreon.

History of WW2 w/ Ray Harris - http://worldwariipodcast.net - Don't expect the quality/perspective of Duncan, but it's also a lot more detailed and 'objective'. Basically having someone read you 100000 page single volume history of WW2.

There are a couple of retro technology YouTube channels I watch. https://www.youtube.com/user/phreakindee and https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5I2hjZYiW9gZPVkvzM8_Cw go into some pretty obscure stuff.

This Day in Canadian History - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/today-in-canadian-history/id380310363?mt=2 - Pretty OK. Surprised how many episodes there are (I've only listened to a small fraction)

Stuff You Missed in History class - http://www.missedinhistory.com - Again, pretty OK for passing time. Not nearly as engaging as "Stuff You Should Know", but they cover really obscure stuff (sometimes the ultra-obscure / niche in extreme detail) you'd never learn about otherwise.
>>
>>720380
Tried to listen to that history of WW2 podcast, but i found the guys accent and pronunciation to be very grating. Does he get any better?
>>
File: 1455151269408.jpg (60 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1455151269408.jpg
60 KB, 720x540
>>720081
>You mean, a movie a few dozens up to a few hundred people threw months of work into?

you mean their job that they were paid for? that's exactly my point, you small retarded child.
>>
>>713266
Twelve Ceasars was essentially gossip
>>
>>715921
so much want
>>
>>720344
Stuff like that is fine. I'd more have an issue if it was an obvious pro-Crusader or pro-Muslim slant in the narrative. I wouldn't want some Thomas F. Madden-esque "CRUSADERS DINDU NUFFIN" shit nor would I want some lefty "DEM ARABS WUZ GOOD BOYS" bias.
>>
>>721365

Can you speak without memes?
>>
>>721379
Is it possible? To speak without memes?
But then I wouldn't look cool on the internet.
>>
>>710822
Anyone know any good podcasts on less narrative topics? Economics, agriculture, anthropology and the like?
>>
>>719319
they're both great but I think I prefer Death Throes
>>
>tfw Dan still hasn't done a Hardcore History on the Finno-Korean Hyper War.
>>
>>720971
I don't find his voice annoying.
>>
Not a channel but look up "the True story of Hannibal"
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.