[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Implying Scottish history isn't very interesting and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 11
File: sgotdland.jpg (217 KB, 1152x1279) Image search: [Google]
sgotdland.jpg
217 KB, 1152x1279
>Implying Scottish history isn't very interesting and overlooked
>>
>>71004
>Be Scottish
>Get walled in by Romans
>Fight England a ton
>Try to build colony
>Everyone dies
>Run back to England for help

That's fucking it
>>
100% of Scottish history is just individual achievements. Lots of great literates, scientists, inventors etc but as a collective they fucking suck dick.
>>
File: The_Battle_of_Culloden.jpg (658 KB, 1498x892) Image search: [Google]
The_Battle_of_Culloden.jpg
658 KB, 1498x892
HAE MYND O CULLODEN MUIR
>>
>>71004

You can start showing us some interesting cases then.
>>
>>71258

implying there wasn't great internal changes within scotland pre-union

>Scottish reformation
>the fucking Stuarts
>Bloody Mary
>>
>>71394

the Second Scottish war of Independence is pretty fun to read about
>>
>>71419
Relatively speaking nothing was really revolutionary or groundbreaking. I mean guess the Stuarts are important for making parliament stronger than the king in England but that because of their acts as English monarchs.
>>
English bribes were all in vain
Though poor and poorer we may be,
Silver canna buy the heart
That aye beats warm for thine and thee
>>
>>71508

the scottish enlightenment did bring about ideas which would form the basis of modern capitalism tho
>>
Read somewhere that a medieval King of Scotland put two babies in the care of a deaf woman on an island to see if they would grow up speaking ancient hebrew (as if all men were descended from Adam, knowledge of Ancient Hebrew would be innate)...

When they were 5 they came out (obviously) only able to make unintelligible noises. Opinion was divided as to whether the experiment was successful as they didn't know what ancient hebrew sounded like.

DUMBEST. EXPERIMENT. EVER.
>>
This was a really cool set of documentaries done by the BBC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIBkhtVvfsU&index=2&list=PLEaZPdq0CRk9w1rf406jBD7CbsGko9ply
>>
>>71637
YOU CAN'T MAKE IT UP
O
U

C
A
N'
T

M
A
K
E

I
T

U
P
>>
File: le moe syszlak.jpg (9 KB, 222x200) Image search: [Google]
le moe syszlak.jpg
9 KB, 222x200
>>71004
>hometown isn't on this map
>literally the 7th most populous settlement in Scotland

But no, >>71258 has done a pretty good summary of our history. The English thought Scotland were theirs. We didn't. After all, England had a track record of claiming shit that wasn't theirs (see: France). Best thing there was the battle of Bannockburn showing how effective actually training your pikemen is.

>>71595
I take it you're mostly referring to Adam Smith? A lot of his stuff is pretty exaggerated case studies, but it was new stuff at the time to go against the mercantilist policies that had worked well for the large European nations of the time. I've heard that David Hume's stuff is slightly more refined, but I haven't read anything of his.
>>
unfortunately scotland's geography means it was always doomed to fight with england forever
>>
>>71004
The formation f Scotland is pretty intersting with Dal Riata and the Irish monks spreading christianity and the gaelic language
>>
>>71258
>Try to build colony

Kek, just looked it up.

You mountainniggers tried to set up a colony in Panama?
>>
>>71637
Thought that was Barbarossa?

>>72759

One of the greatest epic fails in history
>>
So, what movies/TV series do you guys know about Scottish history? I've got:

Braveheart (1995)
The Bruce (1996)
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot (2004)
Reign (2014)
>>
>>71637 >>72833
Regardless of which it was, wouldn't that not work anyway, even from a Biblical perspective, since that whole Tower of Babel thing where God specifically broke up people into different languages?

Was the King trying to find a loophole in that or something?
>>
>>72845
Don't do Braveheart, it's extremely wrong.

Back in History class in high school we had a swear jar, and among other stuff, saying the name "Braveheart" would mean you had to put £5 in it.
>>
>>71004
Anyone have any good sources on Gaelic Scotland?

Every history of Scotland I get my hands on treats it as peripheral, and every history of Ireland I get my hands on treats it as peripheral.
>>
>>72759

to be fair until that point they just shared colonies with England until England banned them, colonising panama was more out of desperation than anything
>>
>>73063
Why did England even let them share in the first place? Although they had the same monarch, I was under the impression that they were both still very much independent entities.
>>
>>73124

It was sort of a halfway point, they were in a personal union although the crown in England had much more influence than in Scotland which was effectively controlled by a group of bishops.

That set-up was irritating for England but the bishops didn't want to give up their power so England banned Scotland from the colonies, cutting off their primary income source, and forcing them into the acts of union
>>
>>71258
>implying Scots weren't forced into Darien because England enacted a trade embargo on them despite having the same head of state
>implying Darien wasn't just an excuse used by a minority of Scottish lords to curry favour with George I
>implying George I hadn't been trying to dissolve the Scottish parliament since the early 1690s
>>
>>71276
>what is the Scottish enlightenment?
>>
There is a country named that?
>>
>>71637
>they may well have actually been speaking ancient Hebrew
>we will never know
>>
its shite being scottish, we're the lowest of the low!

Scots history can be fantastic.
there's only one important problem with scottish history.
All the fucking American tourists who are convinced they're descended from William Wallace / Mary Queen of Scots / Bonnie Prince Charlie. (delete as applicable)

I know people who work in Stirling castle. apparently they get a "I'm descended from..." at least once, every single day.
>>
>>73543
Wallace did rape 11 year olds
>>
>>73543
I'm in a pipe band, and was over at Stirling for a thing.

Got waylaid by a group of Americans, was there for 20 solid minutes for photos.
>>
>>73579
If you remember that life expectancy was around 30 back then, 11 years old would be like 25 today.
>>
>>73611
thats mostly due to high infant mortality so not really
>>
>>73543
Americans being in love with Scots is the most hilarious shit.
>>
File: The Death of the Stag.jpg (3 MB, 4001x2843) Image search: [Google]
The Death of the Stag.jpg
3 MB, 4001x2843
Ma nigga Alexander III
>>
>>73611

>le life expectancy meme

a low life expectancy only means that there is high infant mortality, if a bunch of people die before five it obviously drags the life expectancy down. If you make it to six you can expect to live until 60-70
>>
>>73870
Isn't there a significant lack of elderly individuals in the archaeological record though?
>>
>>71258
You can summarise every single nations history like this, all it does is make you seem ignorant.
>>
What was the Scottish Play based off of?
>>
>>74966
A very vague understanding of an actual dynastic struggle.

He got a lot of stuff wrong, but the names are all kinda accurate.
>>
Scotland is based af. Per capita, up there with Holland and Sweden when it comes to major accomplishments, in my humble opinion senpai desu

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_inventions_and_discoveries
>>
>>75004
Thats how Macbeth got to rule Scotland, he killed off as many rivals to the throne. It was actually a Scottish tradition until Malcolm ,on his deathbed changed the rules
>>
>>75041
>up there with holland
I might be inclined to concede on Holland but what the fuck has Sweden done?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Swedish_inventions

Bear in mind Holland is almost four times as populous as Scotland despite its land area.
>>
>>75097
With Holland I was more thinking about their golden age and the dutch east india company. Sweden has got an absolute ridiculous amount of patents for example.
>>
>>75196
But yeah come to think of it, scotland also produced many world class writers and poets. Sweden had always been known to lack in that department.
>>
File: IMG_3273.1.jpg (2 MB, 3000x4000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3273.1.jpg
2 MB, 3000x4000
>>75041
>wikipedia
>doesn't mention the greatest scottish achievement of all
>>
>>75250
If u wanna have a wee chuckle, take a look at the welsh page. Its kinda sad.
>>
well the Union Jack was created by and named after a Scottish King, for one thing
>>
File: 1437511291287.jpg (14 KB, 180x249) Image search: [Google]
1437511291287.jpg
14 KB, 180x249
>>75278
>equals sign
>>
File: 1437083925841.png (197 KB, 284x396) Image search: [Google]
1437083925841.png
197 KB, 284x396
>>75298
>posting on /int/
>australian unironically says "I don't see any scottish flags ITT"
>>
>>75305
They even had to mention some "pioneer" who got his primitive flying device airborne for half a minute before crashing i to a bush.
>>
File: 1445187100097.webm (3 MB, 640x350) Image search: [Google]
1445187100097.webm
3 MB, 640x350
>>75328
>Australians
>on /int/
>>
>>71335
It's Drumossie, you fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>71637
Reminds me of an incident cited by my high school psychology teacher as one of the first psychological experiments:

Some king in the Fertile Crescent or thereabouts was certain that his people were the first and best. He figures, if that's true, a kid would innately know their particular language without being taught anything.

So he takes a baby from some lady and pretty much sticks it in a shed for a few years, sending someone to occasionally feed the kid.

So a few years pass by and they drag this kid out. They try to talk to him and the kid says "bread" in the language of the neighboring state.

The king is massively embarrassed and discounts the whole thing while basically faced with the thought that the neighboring culture is in fact the One True Culture, while odds are some peasants from the town over happened to find and feed some bread to this poor kid they found in the king's shed.
>>
File: stuarttrigger.jpg (59 KB, 388x620) Image search: [Google]
stuarttrigger.jpg
59 KB, 388x620
>>71335

Charles Edward Stuart, greatest hero in history
>>
>>73543
in fairness, a lot of those people are probably right. do you know how many descendants people like that tend to have? ever heard of y-haplogroup r1b-m222?
>>
Literally Irish in denial. Scotii was Latin for Gael and all the Irish high kings used the title of King of the Scots.

Keked by England in the end and then themselves
>>
>>78451
Scots are as Irish as Romans were Greek
>>
>>72845
There's a good TV series called outlander but I don't think it's very accurate
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.