[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Ancient Egyptians keep being portrayed as white in Western media ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8
File: 1455535368464.png (64 KB, 557x605) Image search: [Google]
1455535368464.png
64 KB, 557x605
Why Ancient Egyptians keep being portrayed as white in Western media ?
>>
Well known actors attract a much larger audience.

Most movies are not set in Africa, but Europe or the United States, so most movie stars are white.

Thus, it is more profitable for studios to use a cast of British and American stars than a cast of Middle Easterners.
>>
the pharaohs were white
>>
>>709904
Because Ancient Egyptians usually show up in the media when they have to do with the Bible, and everyone in the bible was white
>>
>>709904
because the ruling classes of priest in Egypt weren't black, the blacks were always a slave race. It wasn't hard for the Semitic rulers to scoop them up from the uncivilized mass expanse of jungle to the south and west
>>
>>709943
>semitic rulers
I'm pretty sure semitics came in Egypt later. Ancient egyptians were a polulation similar to the berbers.
>>
>>709904
Because it's safe to assume that Arabian peninsula didn't have population large enough to significantly alter the general skin colour of Egyptians after conquest seeing as Egypt was one of the richest and most populous province of Roman Empire.
>>
>>709943
>the Semitic rulers to scoop them up

Where the fuck does this 'Egyptians were semitic' meme come from? Does the theory have any genetic studies to back it up or is it just made-up?
>>
>they don't know what they're talking about

nobody gave a fuck about the race in Egypt. Nubians and Somalians were black and they traded with Egypt and there was a huge immigration of blacks in Egypt. some Egyptian dynasties were almost certainly black.
also Semites, especially those, weren't white, they are sandniggers. Egypt is not white at all.
>>
>>709943
>semitic

I'll explain without being an asshole

Egyptians were not semitic speakers nor did they have any particular relation to them.
>>
>>709943
>Semitic rulers

Egyptian rulers where a lot of things. Semetic was never one. Neither linguistically or racially.
>>
>>709972
>>709961
read literally any studies on pagan mythical overlay of the bible, i mean just googling hebrew pharaohs will help you.

people actually denying hebrew roots in antiquity. they were literally everywhere and you'll find history of magi or the priest in most ancient civilizations, they informed the torah, look at hassidic jews and their dress. hebrew existed side by side with greek, just as in rome the masses spoke latin, the patricians however always spoke greek when amongst each other.
>>
>>710004
>read literally any studies on pagan mythical overlay of the bible,

So what you're saying is the Egyptians culturally influenced the hebrews which is different from them actually being Hebrews. (they also influenced the Greeks, does this make the (pre-ptolemaic) pharaohs Greek? )
>>
File: nefer.jpg (54 KB, 290x272) Image search: [Google]
nefer.jpg
54 KB, 290x272
>>
>>709977
>also Semites, especially those, weren't white, they are sandniggers.
So Europe has been worshipping a Non white for centuries?
>>
>>710004
>hebrew pharaohs
We tinfoil now
>>
>>710033
Yes. Everyone knows that.
>>
>>710033
For millenia
>>
>>709977
>also Semites, especially those, weren't white, they are sandniggers. Egypt is not white at all.
The three classic racial catagories are: Negroid, Caucasoid & Mongoloid or Black, White, Yellow.

Obviously that grouping is shit, and there's alot more (meaningless) variety among humans, but if you need to use those groupings Arabs are Caucasoid or white.
>>
File: picture-of-three-races.jpg (127 KB, 640x320) Image search: [Google]
picture-of-three-races.jpg
127 KB, 640x320
>>710052
>>709977
forgot mah pic.
>>
>>710033
Did you seriously think otherwise?
>>
>>710012
egypt was around for a long time, are you claiming that any of us could ever EVER be right about what the Egyptian ruling class looked like in the beginning?

based on what we do know and the hieroglyphs, they had blacks and various skin tones depicted in their murals. literally never seen a black skinned pharaoh or anyone that was black not in a loincloth with a primitive tool standing in glades, maybe you could find one for me.
>>
>>709904
Because there's a scant few good actors that are actually from Egypt.
>>
>>709943

Son I'm afraid you just got school, retard
>>
>>709904
They're casting the new Universal Mummy as an actual North African, but she's from Algeria not Egypt I think.

So there's that.
>>
>>710033
Being 'white' wasn't even a thing until the Enlightenment. People cared far more about your religion and the language you spoke than whatever race you happened to be.
>>
>>710052
They have a caucasoid skull, not a white skin. Using this XVII century's classification doesn't help.
>>
>>710062

I'm not really sure how this relates to what I said. I'm just pointing out that your justification for Egyptians being 'semitic' (whatever that even means) is very flimsy. I never claimed the pharaohs were black (though now that you bring it up, there was a Nubian dynasty, which I think qualifies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-fifth_Dynasty_of_Egypt)

Still waiting on your proof of a semitic dynasty..
>>
>>709943
>Blacks were always a slave race
Practicing slavery among your culture =/= everyone was a slave.
>>
>>710068
a lot of people being butthurt doesn't mean anyone got schooled it just means what we are talking about is rooted in emotions, if you weren't an xfactor watching, cooking show competition pleb you would have real context of whats actually being said.
>>
>>710085
Hyksos originally came from Canaan and worshiped Semitic deities. Though there is evidence that they came from farther East. They also precipitated huge numbers of Semitic immigrants.

Also, does this man look Semitic, Black, or White to you /his/?
>>
>>710088

>that guy is a pleb because he doesn't buy my ridiculous 'we wuz jews' revisionism
>>
>>710062
He didn't say they were black.
But excluding blacks doesn't imply they were semites. It seems like you can't think about other races. The autochthonous population of North Africa is berber, which is not black/white/semite.
>>
>>710100
>Semitic means Jewish
>laughingarabs.jpg
>>
So what I'm getting from this thread is there were many dynasties in Egypt:

Some were black: Nubian Dynasty
Some were white: Ptolemaic Dynasty
and some were semitic: Hyskos
>>
>>710033
Yes. Why do you think the Catholic Church is the most liberal religious organization in the world, sending missionaries from Japan to Africa in the midst of Middle Ages xenophobia and electing its officials from those areas for centuries. Jesus was indeed not a Westerner/true Caucasian (no Semites are), but only thing that matters is his spiritual and divine role that transcends races and nationalities. Rome was the most powerful center that adopted Christianity and spread it, but it wasn't the only one.
>>710052
That is some medieval shit, might as well call races Whites, Negros, Jews and Turks.
Modern genetic research clearly established better racial categories than that making a difference between the two greater than difference between various genetic markers within white category.

Anyway, Kingdoms of Kush, Damot, Nubia and possibly Sheba were all black, there is no point denying this, that is deep into Africa and so much remains suggest that, same with Egypt. Egypt could've had many 'white' rulers too, but the origin of that society, language, religion or tradition was neither white nor Semitic, but rather Kushite which was black and their religion originated in the black tribal societies.
Egypt is often rightfully portrayed white because all the movies about it were about Cleopatra, Alexander or some members that were indeed white, but that was much later in the time of Greeks and Romans. Cleopatra couldn't have been white. By her time whites were taking over the world.
>>
>>710123
And most were ethnic Egyptians, which are kind of a mix of Semitic/Arab and black at any given time.
>>
>>710125
I meant *couldn't have been black
lel
>>
Moses was black.
>>
>>710123

So pretty much everyone wanted to be Egyptians.

How can anyone deny that Egypt was the greatest of all the ancient powers? Rome can't even compare.
>>
>>710085
nice non existent wiki article.

semitic languages are a thing just like romantic languages are a thing. historically the magus or elites of civilization spoke different languages, especially in the company of their slaves. the problem is you people equate semitic meaning I'm referring to the jews now in israel who pretend they belong there. the relation to the two are only in the books that survived since. reminder to everyone we are talking about a place that existed thousands of years ago. the image in peoples minds that michael jordan and shaq like pharaohs ruled over egypt is silly, its far more likely anyone who was important in society had gotten there by being born into the caste of priest NOT to be misrepresented as slaves being brought into the fertile crescent.

>>710095
the nose knows.
>>
>>710146
You mean cultural power, right? Egypt doesn't seem to have a good military track record let alone being compared to Rome in that regard.
>>
>>710148
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-fifth_Dynasty_of_Egypt
lol sorry nevermind I copied the parentheses
>>
>>710148
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-fifth_Dynasty_of_Egypt

Non-existent? Did you add the fucking parenthesis?
>>
>>710154
egypt was only really the best at subjugating its people to a very disparate position of power between the priest and serfs

in a society where your only real goal in life is to beeline to death and be forever written the "holy word" that's like a hindu society.
>>
I'm really tired of this thread. I tried to say it twice ( >>710108 >>709961 ) but no one noticed me.
Explain me how egyptians were not berbers, and how semites and blacks were not a minority.
>>
>>710148
>the relation to the two are only in the books that survived since. reminder to everyone we are talking about a place that existed thousands of years ago. the image in peoples minds that michael jordan and shaq like pharaohs ruled over egypt is silly, its far more likely anyone who was important in society had gotten there by being born into the caste of priest NOT to be misrepresented as slaves being brought into the fertile crescent.

All you've shown is that the semitic Hyskos were a ruling dynasty at one point as early as 1650 BC which is about a millenium after the great pyramids were built. Your claim that 'semitic peoples' were always a ruling class is over-reaching at best and cherrypicking at worst.
>>
File: MocroManiac.png (546 KB, 858x459) Image search: [Google]
MocroManiac.png
546 KB, 858x459
>>710095
>mfw
>>
>>710154
>Dominate the most important length of the Nile from 3150 BC to the 6th century BC
>repel invaders for over 2500 years, albeit some short lengths of outside rule lasting less than half a century
They were only formally conquered by the Achaemenid Persian Empire in the 6th century BC and then the Macedonian/Greek Empire in 332 BC. The Egyptian Empire had their shit together, why do you think they influenced Greek and Roman architecture so much.
>>
>>710171
You're not be controversial enough. Reasonable moderate opinions will not be acknowledged by people that want hardline answers that conform to their preconceived worldviews.
>>
>>710171
You're clueless, that's why you're not noticed. Your logic is erroneous.
>>
>>710171
when you read about romans, do you read about everyday plebeian romans who lived on chicken feed mushed into porridge? naw you read about the fucking caesars because its the demigods of society that make it into history not the people they ruled.
>>
>>710088

The butthurt just radiates from his post
>>
>>710125
Can we just abandon "black" and "white" as terms to describe people born before the 1700th century?

The thing that Afrocentrists don't understand is that Ethopians and Nubians are about as related to blacks in West Africa as Cambodians are related to Koreans in Asia. Native Egyptians indigenous to the Nile Valley have been ruled over by Nubians Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, Assyrians, Persians, Arabs, Turks etc. The Egyptian ruling dynasty changed so many times over 3000 years that trying to categorize all of Ancient Egypt as one thing is laughably stupid. Rome's legacy lasted almost 2000 years up until Constantinople's fall, Ancient Egypt lasted 1000 more years than that. We can't even begin to imagine the amount of change that has occurred in Egyptian society over that time frame.
>>
>>710188
>not reading about based Senate politics of the Republic
>worshiping kings
Caesar was the death of Rome.
>>
>>710184
They are the firsts populations of Egypt. Since the egyptian civilization boned both isolated and spontaneously, it's very unlikely to attribute it to an allochthonous population.
>>710188
Too bad the most of the dinasties were ethnic egyptians.
>>
>>710229
lol, the senate weren't exactly plebs either were they? you are missing the point.
>>
>>710203
WUZ
>>
>>710597
KANGZ
>>
>>710125
>Whites, Negros, Jews and Turks
>Whites, Negros, Whites, and Whites
>>
>>710033
Did you think Jesus was white prior to today?
>>
Maybe Hollywood knows something the blogosphere doesn't
>>
File: khartoum-03[1].jpg (100 KB, 700x450) Image search: [Google]
khartoum-03[1].jpg
100 KB, 700x450
>>709943

>mass expanse of jungle to the south
>Sudan

come the fuck on, dude
>>
>>709943
If you know nothing about Egyptian history, why post?

Egyptians of Nubian descent were a small but well-integrated subset of the population. For several centuries, a Nubian dynasty ruled Egypt.

Egyptian slavery was not race-based, and slavery in Egypt was quite minimal when compared to the United States or Brazil. Egyptians and Semitic peoples are both members of the Afro-Asiatic language family, but Egyptians are not culturally or linguistically Semitic. What you're doing is akin to calling the Danes a Slavic people.
There are also no jungles anywhere near Egypt.
>>
File: berber07.jpg (36 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
berber07.jpg
36 KB, 480x320
>>709904
Before attempting to answer this question, OP, you must first define "white". Race is a created concept, and white in no way is connected to one specific group or people. Not all Europeans consider Greeks or Slavs to be "white", for example. Berbers can be considered "white" compared to other peoples from the MENA. Many Arabs could be considered "white" based on comparative skin color.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.