[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't the British ever retake the USA?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8
File: 342.jpg (40 KB, 723x657) Image search: [Google]
342.jpg
40 KB, 723x657
Why didn't the British ever retake the USA?
>>
Why would they?
>>
Not really worth the effort.

IIRC there was some hope immediately post-Revolution that the Canadian Colonies would demonstrate the superiority of the British form of government and lead to the Republic's collapse or petition to be readmitted into the Empire.
>>
>>704270
wasn't worth the effort. being humiliated twice was enough.
>>
>>704270
Britain lost against a hastily raised militia, what hope did they have against the US when they were more prepared?

In the war of 1812 they burned the white house down, but they could never take the whole country.
>>
France kept them busy and in debt until mid Victorian Era. At which point they were making more money from India and Africa.
>>
>>704322
Yeah but in the revolution we had help from France and then in the 1812 war we attacked Canada but our invasion failed and their counter attack was semi-successful. Also they were at war in Europe at the time.
>>
>>704270
They couldn't.
>>
Same reason the Japs didn't. With almost the entire population owning firearms, you would suffer massive casualties taking even a single town. Because every American child learns how to operate a gun from birth, this means heavy weaponry would be required to subdue every single town, village, and city in America. Nobody has that kind of firepower except for the USA.

Also, Americans are notorious for fighting to the death and have exceptional marksmanship and training. Conquering the USA would be next to impossible.
>>
>>706063
Dog Bless.
>>
>>706063

Thank you for your service.
>>
>>706063
This is sarcastic but it's also mostly true. No foreign power has ever successfully invaded America and occupied it. Even England has been occupied.
>>
>>704322

>hastily raised militia

Sure thing buddy. It's not like Washington used his fortunes to buy the best armaments and military planners he could find. And the French DEFINITELY had nothing to do with the American victory.

Seriously though. Washington worked his ass off to create a respectable military. The "hastily raised militia" only existed in the opening days of the war. You know, when Britain was winning.
>>
They couldn't.
>>
>>706063
Just attack California instead.
>>
It was more profitable to trade.
>>
>>704270
The amount of resources that would be needed to secure a rebellious former colony the size of the United States was untenable, and ultimately futile. It was better to accept the lose and move on towards bigger and brighter things (aka, subjugate India).
>>
Britain was always cucked by France. The U.S. was made with germanic seed, british law and french chastity

>>704280
natural resources and lots of vassals
>>
>>706170
I don't consider California as part of the United States, they are a rogue state intent on destroying the values and culture that we Americans hold dear. You may think I am joking, but I am not. Both California and New York are NOT representative of America and are closer in line with China or Europe.

>>706083
>>706108
Laugh it up, retards. You know I'm right, the US Army is the most feared and powerful fighting force in history. Stay jealous and mad, though.
>>
>>706211
>You may think I am joking
By no means.
>>
>>706211
>California and New York are NOT representative of America and are closer in line with China or Europe.
>China
I get that Americans like to call California gommies and shit, but this is going too far, lad.
>>
>>706211
>new york
>bad
hi texan
>>
>>706134
>You know, when Britain was winning
Britain was almost always winning. Washington's "wins" weren't fields of pitched battle, but typically indecisive hit and run skirmishes. His only real decisive moment came at Yorktown. It wasn't quite a militia, but they were a far cry from what a proper army should be.
>>
>>706211
The US is more than just the South and the Midwest, bro
>>
>>704322

>Thousands of men braving the freezing temperatures and hunger at Valley Forget, training under a renowned instructor to fight like regular soldiers
>some mongoloid 200 years later will still claim they're rag tag militia
>>
File: americans kermit.jpg (6 KB, 171x167) Image search: [Google]
americans kermit.jpg
6 KB, 171x167
>>706063
>>
>>706211
>The parts of the country where nearly a third of the population lives is not representative of America
>>
>>706211
California does have plenty of liberal nut jobs, but it also has plenty of rural areas and diversity in political ideology

It just that overall the state has more democrats
>>
>>704322

If you want to post your "Farmers with pitchforks" bullshit go to /pol/ or /int/.

That's not real history.
>>
This thread reminds me of the time Andrew Jackson, out numbered 2 to 1, beat the shit out of the British in New Orleans.
>>
>>706883

Sigh.

Nathanael Greene's campaign against Cornwallis in the South was very, very similar to what occurred in the Patriot. Strategic retreat, use of militia, etc.
>>
File: white-house-down.jpg (360 KB, 615x462) Image search: [Google]
white-house-down.jpg
360 KB, 615x462
It could be viewed historically and using perfect hindsight as a mistake but they had huge chunks of Africa and Asia to conquer instead of picking fights with their fellow Eternal Anglos.

Plus bigger fish to fry in Europe.

Although they did nedd to teach them a lesson when they got too shirty.
>>
>>704270
Because they had already developed their shitty american accents and the british would rather wipe their hands.

y'all fixin fer a fight?
oh lawdy I dun stole a pie
>>
>>704270
Tornadoes
>>
File: vietnam.png (554 KB, 656x654) Image search: [Google]
vietnam.png
554 KB, 656x654
>>704270
>>
File: reddawn_120704.gif (59 KB, 400x276) Image search: [Google]
reddawn_120704.gif
59 KB, 400x276
>>706855
>>706211
>>706170
For all it's reputation, California has nearly as many guns per capita as Texas - and that's not including all the illegal ones the gang bangers have.

It's also host to the largest naval and air force bases in the world. Really, probably just about the worst direction to attack the US from.

The only "safe" way to invade the US, is from the north, but you of course gotta go through Canada, and, depending on how you go about it, deal with some really nasty natural barriers. Provided you avoid the Great Lakes and Seattle, you wouldn't get much resistance when you finally arrived, but there also wouldn't be much worth taking, nor would any of these locations make for a good staging point to attack the rest of the nation. The more desolate northern states are also among the few places in the nation where the US likely wouldn't hesitate to bomb the fuck out of its own soil.

However, the US hasn't faced an invasion of its mainland in modern history. Unlike some of Europe, the cities and infrastructure are in no way setup with this in mind. The US mainland military arrangement is one of offensive deployment, not defense. One could, theoretically, do some real damage in short order. Its geographic location makes a non-nuclear surprise attack on the mainland difficult, at best, but if you, say, toss up an EMP during a time of financial crisis...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsnqHkg0X8E
(Not that Best Korea could actually pull it off, but some of the vulnerabilities the fiction demonstrates do exist.)

Mind ye, if you do invade the US, you'd better be able to put it down. Americans are really big on Justice - and at the same time - don't understand the difference between justice and revenge.

Most of our MAD plans focused on maintaining retaliatory nuclear strike capacity after all of the main land was wiped out. That should tell you something, if 9/11 and Pearl Harbor don't.
>>
>>706110
>No foreign power has ever successfully invaded America and occupied it
Uh, pretty sure the only one that ever invaded the US was Canada and occupied the capital
>>
>>707848
>Canada
uh oh you're gonna get a lot of tards on your back for that one
>>
>>707848
*Britain
>>
>>704270
Not worth it.

All the REAL money was flowing in from other parts of the world, it was better for them to just cut their losses and go conquer some other corner of the globe.
>>
>>704270
they couldn't.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 384x397) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 384x397
>>706211
:-DDDDDDDDDDDDD
the le memes are true XD
>>
I sensed someone mentioned my countries name in this thread. Let me remind you we burnt the whitehouse down and peed all over everything.
>>
>>706211
>US army
>not airforce or marines

Come on anon, your meme powers are too weak.
>>
Why do Canadians have to steal credit for burning the white house when they already have shit like being infamous for their balls to the walls soldiers in the world wars? It's not like you're lacking achievements.
>>
>>706110

This is entirely due to the logistics of getting past the fucking oceans on either side and has nothing to with muh guns and grass meme.
>>
>>709471
It's just a meme. I'm sorry.

Maybe it's the cold weather or the trees, I just feel the need to tease americans constantly. It's like that girl who makes fun of you but secretly loves you.
>>
>>709483
Nothing wrong with some bantz, just give credit where credit is due, otherwise you're as bad as mongoloid dagos pretending they're Romans.
>>
>>709499
Well if we are going to get technical we were british up until recently.
>>
>>709499
>mongoloid dagos pretending they're Romans
Who are they?
>>
>>709471
Because, truth be told, Canada did a lot of nothing for the majority of it's history. And as cool as our soldiers were in both Wars, there aren't any individual events that stick out. At least not when I was taught Canadian history in high school.

I will get into an argument with any dumbass Canadian nationalist who tries to say that we burned the white house, because it's fucking wrong.
>>
>>704270
cause it hard
>>
>>707065
This is wrong. Suburbs are designed in mile by mile strips so that aircraft can land in cities for refueling and re armament.
>>
>>706134
Is this the best public education can manage? Washington was rich in land but had no moving capital past beer money. The best thing he did was make good speeches to inspire the men to forget frostbite and hire a Prussian. By the end of the war, units capable of even facing European armies on similar terms numbered maybe 5000.
>>706063
God bless us.
>>
They were going to in the War of 1812 until America pussied out.
>>
File: reg.jpg (951 KB, 1594x897) Image search: [Google]
reg.jpg
951 KB, 1594x897
>>706211
New York is the pinnacle of capitalism and American Exceptionalism
>>
>>704270
Just like Rome not bother to retake Caledonia. Not worth the time or expense when there is richer pickings elsewhere.
>>
>>710553
>there aren't any individual events that stick out

Passchendale, the sacrifice at Dieppe, they come to mind. I'm not even Canadian.
>>
>>706176
>natural resources and lots of vassals

They already had India, which was way more profitable.
>>
>>710998
Every single one of those buildings is infested with rats.
>>
>>712393
Most urban centers are.
>>
sissy brit boys couldn't do it
>>
How would it be possible for the USA to ever lose? We got 300mil+ capable men, women, and children all allowed to own weapons and use them at thier leisure. Even tho we're separated by political parties, we usually still come together in the face of crisis like pearl harbor and 9/11
>>
they probably wouldve gone after russia. going after the us wouldve been a mistake.
>>
>>704270 it had become a mutually benificial economic and military relationship
>>
>>704329
>France kept them busy and in debt until mid Victorian Era.
What? The UK was tremendously wealthy in the mid Victorian Era and before.
>>
>>707848
It was actually an Irish commander with predominantly Irish soldiers.
>>
>>706063
SOME FOLKS ARE BORN
MAAAAAADE TO WAVE THE FLAG
OO THAT RED WHITE AND BLUE
BUT WHEN BAND PLAY
HAAAAAIL TO THE CHIEF
OO THEY POINT THE CANNON AT YOU

I'm surprised your post didn't include any pictures of eagles desu
>>
>>704307
Twice?
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.