[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on the Federalist Party (1789-1824)? Notable members
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9
Thoughts on the Federalist Party (1789-1824)?

Notable members include:

-Alexander Hamilton, 1st Treasurer of the US
-John Jay, Chief Justice and signer of the Treaty of Paris
-John Marshall, longest-serving Chief Justice of the SCOTUS
-John Adams, 2nd President of the US

Post related articles, essays, opinions, etc. that is related to the Federalists or "Era of the First Parties" in US History below.

Pic very related
>>
inb4 Aaron Burr taking out the trash
>>
>>9223
Needed in order to distinguish the constitution from the AoCs, but sowed the seeds for the looming federal govt that was cemented after the civil war.
Also they were scared of the french so theres that
>>
File: 722px-Federalist_Cockade.png (86 KB, 722x722) Image search: [Google]
722px-Federalist_Cockade.png
86 KB, 722x722
>"Federalist policies called for a national bank, tariffs, and good relations with Great Britain as expressed in the Jay Treaty negotiated in 1794. Hamilton developed the concept of implied powers and successfully argued the adoption of that interpretation of the United States Constitution. Their political opponents, the Democratic-Republicans led by Thomas Jefferson, denounced most of the Federalist policies, especially the bank and implied powers, and vehemently attacked the Jay Treaty as a sell-out of republican values to the British monarchy."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalist_Party
>>
File: MTE5NDg0MDU1MDEwMjQ4MjA3.jpg (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
MTE5NDg0MDU1MDEwMjQ4MjA3.jpg
16 KB, 300x300
>strong national government
>friendly relationship with Great Britain
>opposition to revolutionary France

nah they can fuck off. I'm glad ol' TJ blew them the fuck out
>>
>>9971

Not really. The UK at this point was much more stable and a better trade partner than France was, add in the fact France is going through the Revolution at this point. Federalists actually, looking at what they did and their theories and such, wanted to run the country and build it up. Contrary to the Democratic-Republicans, whose policies and theories were laissez-faire amped up to 11.
>>
>>10131

To source:

>"The Republicans wanted to pressure Britain to the brink of war (and assumed that America could defeat a weak Britain).[28] Therefore, they denounced the Jay Treaty as an insult to American prestige, a repudiation of the French alliance of 1777, and a severe shock to Southern planters who owed those old debts, and who were never to collect for the lost slaves the British captured. Republicans protested against the treaty, but the Federalists controlled the Senate and they ratified it by exactly the necessary ⅔ vote, 20–10, in 1795. The pendulum of public opinion swung toward the Republicans after the Treaty fight, and in the South the Federalists lost most of the support they had among planters.[29]"

Wikipedia links:

Miller (1960) p. 149.
Sharp 113–37.
>>
>>9223

bump for potential
>>
>>9971
Yeah because none of those things worked out, right? Oh wait, ol' TJ has been blown the fuck out by history, especially what with his "I'm totally not racist guys I'll free my slaves... except the one I'm banging :^)"
>>
>>9971
This
>>
>>10899
>democratic party formed directly out of anti-federslists
>free-soil party started by anti-federalists
>free-soil forms with whigs to form Republican party
>Jefferson BTFO by history
Fucking
Kek
>>
File: 1441403770048.jpg (56 KB, 460x727) Image search: [Google]
1441403770048.jpg
56 KB, 460x727
>>11197

>free-soil party started by anti-federalists

It came mostly from Whigs and Liberty Party Members with a few anti-expansion (slavery) Democrats. Not anti-federalists.

>Jefferson BTFO by history

He was a semi-autistic manlet : ^ )

>pic unrelated
>>
>>11489
>6'2
>manlet
What definition are you going by here?
>>
Shitty party although the one good idea of Hamilton's was paying off our debts
>>
>>11489
But he was autistic about liberty. That's basically like have moral superiority as a super power
>>
>>11588

Fuck
>>
File: Burr-Hamilton-Duel.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1495) Image search: [Google]
Burr-Hamilton-Duel.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1495
Literally BTFO.

Are there any decent books that focus on Jefferson and Hamilton's dealings together? Historical fiction or non-fiction, either works.
>>
File: Smug Pepe.jpg (122 KB, 831x1000) Image search: [Google]
Smug Pepe.jpg
122 KB, 831x1000
>But he was autistic about liberty. That's basically like have moral superiority as a super power

Being for extensive amounts of individual freedoms =/= Morally Superior
>>
>>11743
That's exactly what it means
Name a just reason for infringing upon life, liberty, or property. Name one.
>>
>>11731

I mean, sure, Hamilton lost the duel (and his life). But Burr is much less interesting comparatively and ended his political career with the duel.
>>
>>11807
>Name a just reason for infringing upon life, liberty, or property. Name one.

For the well-being for the wider aspect of a state or society or a populace.

By what you've provided me, is it considered wrong to keep prisoners then? You are restricting almost entirely their lives, their liberty, and their property with a strict regimen for X amount of time.
>>
>>11731
I don't know if it's good but there's a fairly new one I saw in the store the other day.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/jefferson-and-hamilton-john-ferling/1114258429?ean=9781608195435
>>
Alexander hamilton was the GOAT founding father. That is an indisputable fact
>>
File: 51Ch+y2dXUL.jpg (35 KB, 322x500) Image search: [Google]
51Ch+y2dXUL.jpg
35 KB, 322x500
>>11842
I know a lot of it is straight up fiction, and not very good fiction at that, but Gore Vidal's book on Burr made him a whole lot more interesting in my eyes. Not nearly as good a read as Julian, but a decent read nonetheless.
>>
>>12080

I'll give it a shot lad
>>
Hamilton is probably one of the most underrated figures in American history. To explain how America got so far economically over time, there's no-one better than him.

t. non-American
>>
>>9223
Generally had the right idea during Hamilton's day. Without his leadership though they devolved into a "MUH NOBILITY" fags. Hamilton's a true patriot though and everything he did (ego aside) was out of a true desire to make America into a strong nation that could stand on equal footing with the great European nations.

>>9623
It's kind of funny that Burr's remembered for killing Hamilton while the fact he later would try and overthrow the Spanish in the southwest to try and form his own kingdom as a "fuck you" to the government is forgotten.
>>
>>9971
He sucked as president but I guess penning the Declaration and having the Louisiana Territory fall into your lap because Napoleon decided overseas colonies were too unwieldy lets people overlook everything else.
>>
>>11956
Because it's in retaliation for crimes against life liberty and property. Try again
>>
File: 1435123490241.gif (1 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1435123490241.gif
1 MB, 400x400
Hamilton's bitch fight with Jefferson would've been great to see today.

In a way, they were both right.
>>
>>13296

>what is selling drugs
>what is etc etc.

I could go on a tangent listing crimes that don't infringe upon life, liberty, or property. Try again.
>>
>>13506
Yeah and those shouldn't be crimes. You can go on and on about how shit our country is at following our own damn founding documents, doesn't prove them wrong
>>
>>9971
>wanting a nation of yeoman farmers
Jeffersonians pls go.
>>
>>12172

Absolutely. In terms of developing the country into a major power he is absolutely one of the top five figures.
>>
The Federalists won the war with the Democratic-Republicans desu. If Hamilton were to see the state in America in 2015 he would be much less horrified than Jefferson. We've been following the Federalist blueprints on a national scale since at least the Civil War.
>>
>>15073
What would he think about the musical about him?
>>
File: 1442371105865.jpg (202 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1442371105865.jpg
202 KB, 1024x576
>>9223
Pretty based to be honest. Anyone who says otherwise is suffering from a womanish attachment to France
>>
>>15810
GUNS AND SHIPS
>>
>>15810
Reminds me but I really need to read Chernow's biography. Both it and his Washington bio are supposed to be really good.
>>
>generally tepid or affected support for independence
>ethos of centralization for its own sake
>financial corruption
>hatred of public liberties
Federalist Party a shit. 7/12/1804, best day of my life.
>>
>Not supporting a strong central government.

baka
>>
>>16052
I'll shoot you for that a second time, Hamilton.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.