[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Wikipedia as a reference for history/philosophy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Wikipedia-logo-v2.svg.png (28 KB, 150x137) Image search: [Google]
Wikipedia-logo-v2.svg.png
28 KB, 150x137
Thoughts on Wikipedia as a reference for history/philosophy?

Should it be avoided at all costs or is it decent enough for getting the summary of a topic?
>>
>>679934
It's fine.
>>
>>679934

Pretty good. Better for science, but okay for history.
>>
Avoid it like a plague. A great majority of citations is rooted in highly obscure, meme authors who are most likely the laughing stock of the genuine academics.
>>
>>679934
Its a good place to get some simple facts. Because it is an encyclopedia, it is not a place to read in depth analysis, even if some of the articles can be very long.
>>
>>679934
Gives a decent summary/background on a topic the majority of the time, an if you're really lucky you might find a couple of good references to follow up with.
You'd be nuts to solely rely on it though.
>>
>>680000
This desu.

Avoid it for anything even vaguely controversial.
>>
>>679934

Always check the talk page.

You can tell immediately if there's any POV by the butthurt shill editwars going on.
>>
>>680046
Like the gamergate page. Follows the sjw narrative.
>>
Only use it for basic information, check out the sources for more in depth reading. Avoid anything controversial though. Wikipedia likes to pick a side on controversial topics and unfairly leave out the dissenting view.
>>
>>680000
>>680046

so is there a consistently accurate source on the net?
>>
>>680142
Nope.
>>
>>680149
This. The other day I was arguing with some fuck about some Austro-Hungarian specifics and he was all like POST A LINK TO PROVE YOU'RE RIGHT and I'm like nigger, I got this from books and primary sources, there is no link.
>>
>>679934
For philosophy use SEP. Nothing compares.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.