[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just realised I'm 1/24 Danish and want to learn more about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11
File: viking.jpg (8 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
viking.jpg
8 KB, 284x177
I just realised I'm 1/24 Danish and want to learn more about my warrior heritage. Why were vikings such great fighters? Was it because of the harsh, mountainous enviroment?
>>
File: smugdane9.jpg (71 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
smugdane9.jpg
71 KB, 403x403
>>668915
Nice Saxon falseflag.
>>
>>668915

>muh warrior heritage

kek

go back to slurping on that BBC, little Danish boi
>>
The single most obvious bait I've even seen
>>
File: d9BIZ.jpg (78 KB, 800x601) Image search: [Google]
d9BIZ.jpg
78 KB, 800x601
>Was it because of the harsh, mountainous enviroment?

probably. Nordic Europe is probably the harshest enviorment on this planet, of course that environment produces some of the greatest if not the greatest warriors in human history. The vikings pretty much destroyed all warriors they came across, and they only fell because of internal conflict. The vikings weren't only great at fighting they were great at civilizations too. They found the british empire, the french empire, and the roman empire, AND they were able to keep the moors out of civilized europe and eventually pushed them out of spain
>>
File: 1454428890678.jpg (151 KB, 624x617) Image search: [Google]
1454428890678.jpg
151 KB, 624x617
>this thread
STOP
>>
>1/24 Danish
>>
>>668915

Vikings were great warriors because of their uncanny ability at attacking mostly defensless villagers.

nah just kidding, all memes aside, a culture that promotes savagery in battle and that dying in battle is the most honourable way to die and will get you the best afterlife can go a long ways in getting people to fight viciously.

And thats really all it took against franks or britons for quite a while. An enemy that ran into battle screaming and just so sure of themselves was spooky, morale shocks were a hell of a thing.

against a disciplined enemy that held their ground vikings werent shit though
>>
>>668943

Sometimes I wonder if scandinavians only explored, traded, and settled so far solely because scandinavia is sucha fucking garbage place to live.

everywhere else you can make a stable living with an agrarian society and get complacent.

You live in the nordic enviroment and you just spend your time getting pissed off at your happy neighbors I guess
>>
I recently found out that I am too, related to the Vikings. After doing lots of research with my mother and grandfather, we found that we are related to famous Vikings, Sweyn Forkbeard and Harald Bluetooth.

Believe me or not idgaf
>>
>>669011
That's the main reason, actually.
The land was so poor and the soil so shit they had to raid to get their resources
>>
>>668915
>1/24 Danish

you can stand on a chair and see all of denmark m8
>>
>>669034

>danes thinking they're nordic

Fucking mainlanders, what did you expect
>>
>>668998
Spartans and Samurai had similar ''death in battle is the bigges honor'' attitude yet they were more competent as overrated as they are
>>
>>669012
Im related to Bluetooth too. Well met kinsman!!
>>
>>668943

>Nordic Europe is probably the harshest enviorment on this planet

But that's bullshit. All of Africa is worse. Disease could barely survive in Nordic Europe. Predators were significantly more rare. Water is everywhere. Tons of fish to eat.

>some of the greatest if not the greatest warriors in human history.

Wrong. They weren't great. They were just famous because they constantly raided defenseless coastal towns. Once mainland Europe got sick of their shit, they immediately got conquered and became Christian. The only reason Christianity delayed getting getting there was because everyone thought wasting time conquering the north was pointless, until those backwards pagan blood-orgy having retards started reaching out further than they should have.

>The vikings pretty much destroyed all warriors they came across

Except for the armed ones. Which is why they avoided them.

>they only fell because of internal conflict.

Again, no, they fell because everyone got sick of of them burning centers of learning and libraries and churches that were feeding orphans.

>They found the british empire, the french empire, and the roman empire, AND they were able to keep the moors out of civilized europe and eventually pushed them out of spain

None of those people were nordic. The british mixed with nordic people. Those were all Germanic people.

I mean, that whole last sentence is so wrong, I now know you are trolling, but still.
>>
>>669669
he was being sarcastic anon
>>
>>669583
BROTHER!
>>
>>668915
>Danish
>mountainous enviroment
TOP KEK
>>
>>669823
I laughed my ass off wathing Beowulf, when they showed Lejre as a fortified town on top of a mountain.
Shit's flat as a pancake in real life.
>>
>1/24
>heritage
>>
>>668943
What a dense load of garbage
>>
>keep spamming false flag 'muh viking heritage' threads
>change the wording each time
>cuck mods and retard posters keep being fooled by this
>>
Probably you descend from a goat sheperd
>>
SAXON FALSE FLAG
>>
File: medieveil.jpg (83 KB, 319x340) Image search: [Google]
medieveil.jpg
83 KB, 319x340
>>668915
>Why were vikings such great fighters?

raid monasteries
kill unarmed monks
steal their shit
>>
>>668943
Have you ever been to Denmark? Fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>669011
>Sometimes I wonder if scandinavians only explored, traded, and settled so far solely because scandinavia is sucha fucking garbage place to live.

It's arguably the main reason. Scandinavia have been among the poorest and shittiest part in history since, well, around WW1 and 2.
>>
>>669538
How do vikings get in heaven dying to defenseless villagers?

I can understand the Spartans and their Samurai cousins but explain to me the Viking heaven.

Is it like the Muslim heaven where if you blow up and die killing innocent people, you get 72 virgins?
>>
>>668915
>vikings
>great fighters
If by great you mean good at raiding defenceless hamlets, they were quite good. Still, they didn't really stand a chance against regular armies, as individual bravery only goes so far.

Also Scandinavia isn't that harsh, the north sea is great for fishing, there is plenty of wood and if you stockpile well enough going through the winter is not really a problem. The region does however have little arable land, historians nowadays assume that Scandinavians bred like crazy and had to build off unsustainable population through raids.
>>
>>672212
Norse had more afterlifes than just Valhalla and only half of the warriors went there anyway the other half went to Folkvangr and people who died from old age or sickness went to Hel's realm. I don't remember what happens to those who die at the sea.
>>
>>668915
>1/24
Fucking americans.
>>
>>672222
How is the home of one of the greatest empires a "defenseless hamlet"?
>>
>>668915
I know a fucker like you, he always rails on about "Muh viking blood".
>>
>>672240
Anon, that would require people to be knowledgeable on a subject instead of shitposting. That goes for muh heritage fags and bait biters.
>>
>>673667
You mean Paris? They failed to seize the city and once Karl III arrived with his army they either retreated or found themselves in a militarily untenable position. Karl III being the spineless, feeble epileptic he was, instead opted to pay off the raiders and directed them towards the revolting Burgundians, something that the people of Paris never forgave him for.
>>
>>673758
I was referring to England. They ruled for a little bit after invading
>>
>>668915
It was because their religion wasn't a cuck religion like Christianity is and actually allowed for killing and encouraged death in battle. It's the same reason Islam was so successful until guns finally came into the mix or Stepp archers fucked shit up for so long. Warrior cultures and ideologies had significant impact on performance.
>>
>>674001
>vikings
>battle

wow avoiding soldiers and targeting defensless villages sure was a heroic battle lmao

I also like how they retreated on multiple occasions so yeah they truly were willing to die
>>
>>669026
>The land was so poor and the soil so shit they had to raid to get their resources
Denmark is an agricultural paradise. Something like 90% of the land is rich, arable land.
>>
>>674001
Encouraging death in battle and throwing away your mens lives while far from home aren't the same thing though.
>>
>>669034
We had more land back then.
>>
>>673903
What invasion? The Normans of 1066 could hardly be called Scandinavians anymore, and when they carved out the Danelag, England was not even a unified realm.
>>
>>668915

>1/24 Danish
>harsh, mountainous enviroment

The difference between their highest and lowest point is about 60 lego blocks
>>
>>674460
Which is why (I'm pretty sure, at least) majority of Vikings were Norwegians and Swedes, but mostly Norwegians
>>
>>674728
source needed
>>
>>674564
Look up Sweyn Forkbeard. He invade England and was king from 1013 - 1014 when he was assassinated
>>
>>675097
>being a king for only 1 year
>achievement
such conquerors
>>
>>676607
>Being a king for x years
>Achievement
You're right anon
>>
>>668915
>1/24
Go to bed Murrica
>>
File: 872652.jpg (1 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
872652.jpg
1 MB, 3072x2304
>>668915

Yes. Here, from the dizzying peak of Mollehoj, looking out over the frozen mountains, some of which rise as high as 160m above sea level, you can clearly see how barren and harsh this landscape is...
>>
>>676607
His son, Cnut the great was king for like twenty years
>>
>>668943
Dude africa and the middle east are harsher
>>
>>668943
>>Was it because of the harsh steppe environment?

probably. The steppe is probably the harshest enviorment on this planet, of course that environment produces some of the greatest if not the greatest warriors in human history. The mongols pretty much destroyed all warriors they came across, and they only fell because of internal conflict. The mongols weren't only great at fighting they were great at civilizations too. They found the Mongol empire, the Yuan empire, and the Qing empire, AND they were able to keep the japanese out of civilized china and eventually pushed them out of asia
>>
File: 41d.jpg (71 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
41d.jpg
71 KB, 256x256
>tfw finding out you're descendants of those that cucked britain and its isles
>>
>>668915
>great fighters
>litteraly got BTFO any time they fought someone who was not a defenecless villager/monk
>>
>>680609
>tfw you realise you are litteraly a snow nigger
>>
File: 2000px-England_878.svg.png (2 MB, 2000x2488) Image search: [Google]
2000px-England_878.svg.png
2 MB, 2000x2488
If Vikings got btfo'd by real armies all the time, how did they do this? I get that theres a large amount of backlash against the viking image since they get their dicks sucked so often by hopeless fanboys, but theres always some grounded reality behind every myth. What let them leave such a strong print on history?
>>
File: cnut_1014_1035.jpg (129 KB, 765x731) Image search: [Google]
cnut_1014_1035.jpg
129 KB, 765x731
>>680667
Also this.
>>
>>668915
Why does Americans only combine Denmark with Vikings? Theres so much more.
>>
>>680667
>britbong
>real army
>>
>>668943
Why do people respond seriously to obvious bait.
>>
>>680703
To Denmark? Like what?
"conquering" Estonia?
Letting the Kalmar Union fall apart?
Their colonial "empire"?
Their "participation" in either of the world wars?

The Viking side of Denmark is much more appealing than anything else they've ever done.
>>
>>680735
You know much more than the average already, thats fine. Im not glorifying Denmark or anything, ever since the defeat in the 30 years war, it has been a meme country.
>>
>>680869
Honestly, I like Denmark. I think theres an inexplicable feeling of honesty to their history. Its sad that they never really got their spot in the sun.
>>
>>668915

>Why were vikings such great fighters?

They weren't. They were tough and wild sure, but their success came from the fact that they generally attacked undefended communities and had the element of surprise on their side. When they did face an organized army they got whooped almost every time.

>>668943

Nordic Europe is nothing compared to the likes of Siberia or Mongolia.

>some of the greatest if not the greatest warriors in human history. The vikings pretty much destroyed all warriors they came across,

Tell that to the Franks, etc.

>AND they were able to keep the moors out of civilized europe and eventually pushed them out of spain

Ah I see, decent bait, 6.5/10.
>>
>>680667

Because England was divided in civil war with several larger kingdoms trying to do everything to fuck each other over all the time. The vikings and their army made for a good way of doing so.
>>
>>668915
Yeah man. Those harsh Danish mountains and brutal Danish winters.
>>
>>668915

Dane here. We don't have any mountains in Denmark. Our nation is as flat as the chest of a tsundere anime girl.
>>
>>680667
conquering a part of war torn country lmao such conquerors
>>
>>681092
We do have the heaven mountains.
>>
The vikings did not fear death as we do. They welcomed the chance to shine AND die in battle to please the gods. No fear = great fighters. Simple as that. (Might have something to do with them trippin on mushrooms when they were preparing for a fight as well) 100% Swede here! ;)
>>
>>681179
Is that why they attacked defensless targets or avoid England for 40 years after suffering one defeat? Such bravery.
>>
>>681092
Of course the mentally retarded Dane doesn't notice the joke.
>>
>>669538
Intensity tempered by discipline.
>>
>Vikings were great fighters

Well they were, individually. They mastered melee in an early age. I know it sounds cliche, but it was indeed a "warrior community".

When facing larger organized armies, they would spread out into small groups with the enemy casing. When the right time the Vikings would strike back when the enemy were splitted.

When cavalry started apprearing it would not work. And it was the beginning of the end for our dear viking friends
>>
>>668943
Nordic Europe is probably the least harsh environment on this planet
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 326x356) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 326x356
I CLAIM THESE LANDS FOR THE DANES
>>
>>682749
>frozen wasteland
>not harsh
>>
>>669051
>spot the swede
>>
>>682779
>frozen wasteland
northern Europe is not fucking Siberia
>>
>>668915
I'm 1/16 Iroquois, you white devils stole my land!
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.