[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the difference between Continental and Analytical Philosophy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 0219Stone-blog480.jpg (73 KB, 480x384) Image search: [Google]
0219Stone-blog480.jpg
73 KB, 480x384
What is the difference between Continental and Analytical Philosophy?

Does it matter?

TLDR:
I'm retarded
>>
>>891989
>What is the difference between Continental and Analytical Philosophy?

They are different philosophical traditions that use different methods to solve the same problems

>Does it matter?

Assblasted autists who don't actually read the requisite literature in order to intelligently discuss these matters will tell you it does but in reality it does not.
>>
>>892020
>They are different philosophical traditions that use different methods to solve the same problems
How are they different?
>>
In the early 20th century, philosophy took a linguistic turn. People started asking not "what is truth?" but "how can we know truth given that language is imprecise?". Anglo-American philosophers followed in the footsteps of Frege and Wittgenstein and tried refining language to a logical structure to make it more precise. Continental philosophers continued in the footsteps of Heidegger and Nietzsche and sought a more poetic understanding of truth. In modern times, however, philosophers on both sides of the divide have attempted to learn from their opposing schools and reconcile logic and poesis.
>>
>>892230
This guy explains it well. Although you could very reasonable argue the attempt to redefine language just showed that human-thinking doesn't work the way analytics want it to, Witty's latter book stomped on the idea of an absolute precise language.

It's generally understood that there is no such thing as divide between the schools anymore, although it was a historical thing. Anyone that still thinks there is a clear boarder is an idiot.
>>
File: 1419341390506.png (36 KB, 666x408) Image search: [Google]
1419341390506.png
36 KB, 666x408
>>891989
>>
>>893383
This 2bh
>>
>>893518
It's kind of sad that the image started as an ironic joke.
>>
>>893521
>I, expert memeologist can tell you the original intention behind every mem
>>
>>893383
This is spot on. Feelings vs logic, sort of.
>>
File: 1452393634941.png (518 KB, 1242x512) Image search: [Google]
1452393634941.png
518 KB, 1242x512
>>
>>893656
woaw! So meta
>>
>>891989
Continentals are the philosophers that logicians don't understand, basically starting with Schopenhauer/Nietzsche.

Analytics are logicians parading as philosophers, basically starting with Wittgenstein.
>>
>>892242
I'd argue that it's sort of a divide, that certain universities will be specialized in one tradition and not another and that you can make sweeping generalization between countries.

I think that it's South Korea, The Eternal Anglos, Scandinavia, Poland and Austria that tend to have a style closer to the analytics in your average university course, while the rest of the western world have a style closer to the continentals.

That said it isn't the shit-flinging contest certain people tend to make it out to be.
>>
>>893676
This is pretty spot on. I'd doing undergrad at a American university and we only ever offer one class on some continentals (marx, hegel. nietzsche) every couple of years because its taught by robert brandom
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.