[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I see a lot of atheists asking for some sort of proof of God
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 22
File: 1453735917376.jpg (240 KB, 736x1104) Image search: [Google]
1453735917376.jpg
240 KB, 736x1104
I see a lot of atheists asking for some sort of proof of God.

Well, if you really want it, try saying "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God," while inhaling through your nose, and "Have mercy on me, the sinner," while exhaling out your mouth. Just move your tongue, you don't have to move your lips if it's too conspicuous. Get a counter and do this exactly three thousand times a day for three days straight, not a single time more, not a single time less.

Orthodox reading list and FAQ's (for atheists, Catholics, liberals, Jews, Protestants and Muslims) for those interested: http://pastebin.com/bN1ujq2x
>>
>>617293
>Well, if you really want it, try saying "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God," while inhaling through your nose, and "Have mercy on me, the sinner," while exhaling out your mouth. Just move your tongue, you don't have to move your lips if it's too conspicuous. Get a counter and do this exactly three thousand times a day for three days straight, not a single time more, not a single time less.
Is language relevant to the effort?
>>
>>617293
Supposing I do it for 8 hours a day before falling apart, it's 6.25 times per minute. How fast is this shit? You have never done it man.
>>
That's not proof, that's a breathing exercise. You will get the same results if you say "There is no god but Allah" when inhaling and "and Muhammed is his messenger" when exhaling
>>
>>617300
No
>>
>>617293
>self indoctrination is proof

Are you a fucking troll?
>>
>>617310
Then don't bother with the breathing bit.
>>
>>617317
>
Kek, Constantines getting salty because of a few recent threads.

pro-tip, if you're not a tripfag no one can recognise it.
>>
>>617316
Just say "Jesus Christ" 3000 times a day for three days, then.
>>
>>617322
I mean don't bother synchronizing it, bruh, I didn't mean don't bother breathing at all.
>>
Now this is a new low for our favourite shitposter.
>>
>>617323
>christian encouraging people to take the lords name in vain
>>
>>617329
It's not in vain.
>>
>>617334
How the "Jesus Christ" is said isn't up to you m8
>>
>>617336
Repeating it in order to experience God, is not in vain.
>>
>>617293
>>617323
I literally am not sure if you're trolling
>>
>>617338
Maybe this is a desperate cry for help for people to stop taking his Christposting seriously. He can't stop because of all the sweet (You)s he's getting but at the same time it is killing him inside.
>>
>>617341
>implying this posting isn't pro christian by false flagging atheists.
>>
Not OP, but it's commonly accepted that the "proof" of Christianity is in the practice of it. Religiousness is primarily an act, not a set of beliefs, so it follows that it cannot be rationally reached by a logical system.
>>
>>617293
What your describing is a form of meditation. I can use similar techniques to have an experience with a bodhisattva or a shinto deity.

I doubt you would accept that as proof that Buddhism or Shinto are the one true faith.
>>
>>617293
>Well, if you really want it, try saying "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God," while inhaling through your nose, and "Have mercy on me, the sinner," while exhaling out your mouth. Just move your tongue, you don't have to move your lips if it's too conspicuous. Get a counter and do this exactly three thousand times a day for three days straight, not a single time more, not a single time less.

Kek. What the fuck is the point of this?
>>
>>617362
I would add that such visualization techques without proper training can be extremely dangerous from a psychological perspective and its probably not something you should just try
>>
>>617362
Well, they appropriated it from Christianity, but no, I don't you'd have the same experience at all. Feel free to compare.
>>
>>617368
What visualization techniques?
>>
>>617368
What's the worst that could happen?
>>
>>617370
>appropriated it from Christianity

Master ruseman.
>>
File: 1444209527230.jpg (11 KB, 360x361) Image search: [Google]
1444209527230.jpg
11 KB, 360x361
>>617370
Christians didn't invent meditation.
>>
>>617370
There is evidence of advanced meditation techniques in Asia going back to the neolithic period.

>>617372
in this case I am referring to any form of meditation were you are attempting to make contact or see a "deity"

note I used quotations because the deity is (most likely) a mental construct that does not actually exist
>>
>>617381
Random-ass thought: could meditation in such a fashion be used to speak with yourself?
>>
>>617406
I'm not sure, Ive mostly read about various meditiation practices rather than done them myself.

When I was younger however, I played with lucid dreaming, and had night terrors for years after. Ocassuionally I would see something, like a spirit and try to talk to it, but they usually only responded with nonsense. I eventually realized I was limited what they were saying to me, like in a lucid dream, and they were just aspects of my subconcious.

again these night terrors were extremely unpleasant and I do not recommend playing around with this stuff. Most of them were not so paranormal, the most common terror I had was that someone was trying to break through my door.
>>
File: image.jpg (201 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
201 KB, 1920x1080
>>617293
>>
>>617381
Actually, “mantra” and “japa” (mantra meditation) just meant a regular prayer in Eastern religions until a while after Christians started using constant repetitions. The earliest Buddhist canon, which is the Pali canon, dates from 29 BC and make no mention of mantra meditation. Christian meditation dates back to the OT (Genesis 24:63). Joshua 1:8 says to keep the Law constantly on your lips, to meditate on it day and night. The word translated as “meditate” here, means to mutter or growl quietly. Paul says to “pray without ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17) The earliest extensive written instructions on Christian mantra meditation, were authored by Saint John Cassian, in 420 AD, at the behest of Bishop Castor of Apt. The earliest account of Buddha as we think of him now was written by Buddhaghosa, and dates from around the same time Saint John Cassian was writing (earlier accounts of Buddha are closer to something out of Homer). The Visuddhimagga, Buddhaghosa’s extensive meditation manual, makes no mention of mantras; here meditation is focusing on something (or focusing on precisely nothing), but none of the instruction says anything about use of mantras in meditation. The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, from the 4th Century AD, mention mantras, but here they have nothing to do with mediation, they’re invocations used to gain power over things, probably the identical sense to what they were for Brahmin priests. As for Hinduism, their most famous mantra, the Hare Krishna, was not used for constant repetition or meditation until 16th Century AD, when it was popularized by Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.
>>
>>617477
Who's this jizz wiz?
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 500x706) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 500x706
>>617487
Haruka from Sakura Trick. Best yuri <3
>>
>>617431
Seems like evil spirits, desu
>>
>>617483
WE
>>
>>617581
Orientalism started le ancient Eastern heathen wisdom meme
>>
>>617356
>so it follows that it cannot be rationally reached by a logical system.

So its an irrational belief?
>>
>>617592
It's more uber rational.
>>
>>617598
Why?
>>
>>617598
I dont know german, whats uber?
>>
>>617600
Because it's apprehended by nous rather than dianoia.
>>
>>617603
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Cber
>>
>>617608
Soo.. adove irrational belief? Over? Super? I still dont quite get what you mean.
>>
>>617617
Beyond reason.
>>
>>617370
>Well, they appropriated it from Christianity
You went too far and the illusion has been completely shattered.
>>
>>617620
>>617483
>>
>>617619
Oh, thanks. But then it would still be an irrational belief, because you would be believing something you cannot comprehend. Right?
>>
>>617624
That's not technically irrational, or else belief in quantum mechanics would be irrational.
>>
>>617293
I'm an avid christposter, but this is more retarded than calling out church fathers on being platonists.
>>
>>617638
Why?

What sort of Christianity do you subscribe to, if you don't mind my asking?
>>
>>617642
Irrelevant.
Because it's actually pointless self indoctrination. It isn't prayer, it isn't theology, it isn't mystical. It's there to make faith a routine.
>>
>>617645
Literally the only thing we have the power to contribute it frequency. We can't pray right, we can't pray with faith, those are both purely grace. Frequently is all we can do.
>>
>>617645
Is Protestantism mystical?
>>
>>617653
Böhme and William Blake are a couple of examples. Mystical Protestantism tends to veer way off from Christianity proper.
>>
>>617650
>Literally the only thing we have the power to contribute it frequency.
False. Frequently praying is useless if not genuine
>We can't pray right, we can't pray with faith, those are both purely grace.
Of course you can pray right. And you can pray with faith, it's useless otherwise.
>Frequently is all we can do.
False
>>617653
I'm unaware of any mysticism in protestantism.
>>
>>617659
Wow. I never thought it can exist. From what I had seen, there'so nothing mystical or even aesthetically pleasing aboot it. It's mostly concert worship these days and wishy washy Jesus
>>
>>617660
It turns out there is according to Constantine
>>
>>617667
Constantine isn't an authority on anything except annoying christposting
>>
File: image.jpg (151 KB, 614x593) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
151 KB, 614x593
>>617669
It's kinda cute though
>>
>>617660
>False.
Could you elaborate? Faith comes from grace, and Paul explicitly says we can't even pray right on our own, but the Holy Spirit must do it for us.

>useless if not genuine
If you are looking for God, it is genuine.
>>617664
Oh, Swedenborg too.

Protestant mysticism and its thinkers would not get on well at all with the kind of Protestantism you're thinking of
>>
File: image.jpg (254 KB, 690x742) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
254 KB, 690x742
>>617675
No wonder there's no mysticism in them today
>>
>>617675
>Could you elaborate? Faith comes from grace, and Paul explicitly says we can't even pray right on our own, but the Holy Spirit must do it for us.
Meaning there is right and wrong prayer and not all works.
>If you are looking for God, it is genuine.
If you are intentionally conditioning yourself to make God a habit it isn't.
>>617685
Was there ever?
>>
>>617293
Holy fucking shit and I thought you were half-reasonable.
>theists
Not even one fucking once.
>>
>>617703
Not anymore. Now kiss me
>>
>>617703
>Meaning there is right and wrong prayer and not all works.
Right prayer doesn't come from us, though, it comes from the Holy Spirit praying through us.

>works
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.
>>
>>617712
Orthodox Christianity is the Pringles of religions.
>>
>>617592
you do not know what rational means, outside a few formal systems
>>
File: 1452999297061.jpg (33 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
1452999297061.jpg
33 KB, 514x536
I thought this was satire until I read the name.
>>
>>617365
he's describing hesychasm, an orthodox meditative practice which has the goal of allowing the practitioner to experience god directly.

>>617293

you shouldn't goad atheists and the unlearned on how to practice hesychasm without discussing the error of imagination and the dangers of prelest.
>>
>>617832
This isn't hesychasm, hesychasm is praying for hours in seclusion and stillness with your eyes closed.
>>
>>617293
Nice troll.
>>
>>617293
Nice pastebin senpai
>>
File: image.jpg (118 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118 KB, 852x480
>>617293
Constantine sama pls notice me :3
>>
>>617852
Thanks
>>
>>617868

You're cute.
>>
File: 1453143376535.jpg (55 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1453143376535.jpg
55 KB, 500x667
>>617868
>shilling for Jesus
Orthodoxy is nice but you're ruining it, cunt
>>
File: image.jpg (150 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
150 KB, 1280x720
>>617868
Senpai, notice me ;_;
>>
>>617592
As I said, being religious should be an act, a behavior formed by habit that has its aim in reaching virtue.

The extreme emphasis on the "holding of a certain belief" is curious in western Christianity. It seems like Protestants bring it to its extreme, so it becomes central to even salvation that you need to hold beliefs, and if you have trouble holding them, you need to try harder. It all turns pretty comical, honestly.
>>
File: 1451881855849.jpg (54 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
1451881855849.jpg
54 KB, 514x536
Why is it always Christ posting?
I literally never see any other religion full of avid shit posters, it's always Christians.
>>
>>617293
I do the heart prayer for hours / day. there is nothing paranormal about it and nothing paranormal should be felt about it.

If you feel anything it's Satan... if it's truly God then you'll feel overcome - but in order for Holy Spirit to visit you.. ah my friend you need a long period of cleansing, no computer, no nothing - but the effort is worth it - it's a taste of eternity while alive.

I got the peace of Christ once it was memorable. A feeling of being safe, of being guarded, guided ... of being conserved inside something which was beyond this material world - felt like this life is a second compared to an timeline that doesn't seem to stop.
>>
>>618043
Christians are dumber than most other religions. When your entire faith is born from deliberately misreading your holy books, you tend to weed out clear thinkers.
>>
>>618252
Your parents dropped you in your head?
>>
>>618043
>Why is it always Christ posting?
Christians are more defensive because the live in societies that are becoming more atheist. Also most posters are American and the christianity vs atheism shitflinging is a big thing in America atm.
>>
>>618256
But he's right.
>>
>>618335
Are you his gay lover?
>>
>>617293
look, on its natural habitat, the tripfaggot is achieving peak faggotry.

Notice his intense thematic preponderance of his posts and utter pointlessness of his utterances. After this brief period of intense shitposting and ego tripping, the tripfaggot usually falls into oblivion and subsumes into his original form as an anonymous poster.
In this case, as an annoying religious shitposter.
Hopefully, the same will happen with this praticular species example.

Also sage.
>>
>>618431
Constantine is a girl
>>
>>618595

Gross!
>>
>>618256

I don't see a refutation.
>>
>>618610
Why? I find it kinda cute
>>
>>617636
Well, they're not the same, we can see quantum mechanics, and we have some relative knowledge about it, we dont know it all and its difficult to conprehend but believing in something we can see its not irrational.

Im curious why do you believe in a god? Given that there's not yet any evidence to prove him/her.
>>
>>618595
Constantine is autistic tripfag just like you, I was talking with an anon, go fuck yourself to >>>/reddit/
>>
>>617293
Including humanities was a mistake.
>>
>>618682

Girls have cooties, and, if constantine is a girl, she has cooties, but, on the plus side, if Christ is behind her, and I am behind Christ, we should, if she were, indeed, inclined that way, engage in a theological intercourse.

For I see in her the holy spirit, the gentle fire; constantine, my new friend, I shall return for you.
>>
>>618595
>telling this to 4chan
Why?
>>
>>617293
>http://pastebin.com/bN1ujq2x

There's a "for liberals" section? Can you not be liberal and orthodox at the same time?
>>
>>618726
Too bad you'll never be as cute as Constantine though
>>
>>617293

At least you made me laugh, Constantine. This is comedy level stuff.

In fairness I can see how this could be useful as a meditation technique. The effects of meditation, of course, being what you are actually experiencing, rather than God or the Holy Spirit.
>>
>>618877

>Can you not be liberal and orthodox at the same time?

I don't know, CAN you be flexible and rigid at the same time?

>DUEUUURURUDURUudurududurudeuduruuu im a fucking dumbass
>>
>>618920

Does this mean 'yes'?
>>
>>618920
Woah, no need to be so rude.
>>
>>617293
What the actual fuck.
>>
>>618900

If you look at the prayer it's an spiritual-alchemical composition. You're being an idiot but I was and still am an idiot only i'm hoping i'm slightly less of an idiot than you.

On the inhale you recognize the law and the teaching and the godhood of Christ.

On the exhale your recognize thrice-fold: that by being on this earth you inherently are bound to sin, as was the message given to us by his Lord, that Jesus Christ is the mediator of our sins and that you at the same time recognize your sin and give it to Christ and ask for his forgiveness, and that Jesus Christ is all merciful and will, God willing, forgive you of your sins as long as you remain open to the idea of sin and continue your way in the light of Him, the Lord, Jesus Christ, whom we don't deserve.
>>
File: 1453329245975.png (14 KB, 364x322) Image search: [Google]
1453329245975.png
14 KB, 364x322
>>617605
I bet you aren't going to explain these mental gymnastics.
>>
>>617293
>3000
Is that an arbitrary big number or can I just spend 2 hours a day doing this and get the same result?
>>
>>617779
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rational
>agreeable to reason; reasonable; sensible
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/reason?s=t
>a basis or cause, as for some belief, action, fact, event, etc.

well you got me there, he could believe something for any stupid cause and it would still be reasonable, doesnt make it true though.
>>
>>618974

Can't you read?

>not a single time more, not a single time less
>>
>>617293
Its not about physically proving the existence of God like ledditor retards say

>Le Flying sphagetti mosnters xD
>>
>>618953

Sure.

But the truth is that you are just inserting your own ideology into a meditation technique and then 'proving' the validity of it to yourself by an experience that could be easily replicated without the ideology.
>>
>>617483
No one disputes that Chiristian meditation tradtion is old, and elements of it might be connected to the even older Jewish tradtion.

But meditation itself goes back way further, and while the methods themselves vary somewhat, the experiences with deities achieved through them are basically universal, and the methods to achieve such an experience go back into prehistory. Its today, where most people do not even know of or have access to such methods that is the oddity.

>.>617562

and I suppose you think sleep paralysis is caused by an Incubus sitting on your chest?

No, we know now that night terrors are the result of part of your brain being awake while another part is still in a dream state.
>>
>>619111

The ideology of Christ inserted into a meditation technique, yes, if you want to be vague about it.

The ideology is the idea. The ideology is how you, by your own will, become closer to Christ. It is said that we should walk in his ways and that by doing so we inherit Christ's kingdom.

The exercise is worthless without the ideology, and this was never something to be argued about.
>>
I wish people would stop shilling their religion on /his/, I truly do. I don't care if you're religious or not, I'm no antitheist. But because I don't care, it annoys me when people keep saying "SURRENDER YOURSELF UNTO HIM" and all that shit. I don't care. This wasn't the purpose of this board.
>>
Superstition functions on belief and can be understood through psychology. People oftentimes don't understand that Science is essentially the religion with the fastest manner of understanding the universe.
>>
>>619274

/His/ was created in part to move religious speak out of /x/, without the forementioned you wouldn't be posting here, so you cannot really complain. Also; philosophy is borne of religion, and religion is borne of philosophy, as is history borne of both of these. This is very much the purpose of this board, and If you don't like it you're welcome to move on.
>>
>>618252
>Christians are dumber than most other religions
should be

>christianity is dumber than most other religions

it's still retarded either way though lad
>>
>>619316

Tell me what is your interpretation of the Holy Trinity?
>>
>>619298
Shilling your religion is the purpose of the board? Said who?
>>
>>619334

Religious discussion is the one of the purposes of this board says the admin of the site. Any moderator on /x/ would also be happy to clarify this with you.
>>
File: 1443482415148.gif (45 KB, 462x700) Image search: [Google]
1443482415148.gif
45 KB, 462x700
>>619298
Trying to force people into specific religions is an affront to the one true god, you're essentially promoting the demiurge. People can only understand god through their own faucets, so trying to convert people that don't need it is not only vain and silly but also inviting the cruelty and wrath of the divine upon yourself.
>>
>>619342
Link to mod posts?
>>
>>619325
I don't have one since I'm not a christian, but claiming christianity to be "more dumb" than other religions like Islam where their prophet is said to have done all sorts of shit like ascend to heaven on a magical horse with a human face is some concrete retardation
Hindus are also wacky cunts with their symbolism and allegory
>>
>>619342
Also I don't consider religion shilling 'religious discussion'
>>
>>619348

Are you trying to moderate free speech? Do you feel assaulted by somebody's pride in Christ?

I surely hope you are not rousing me for fun. If not you speak for fear and fire.

>>619352

You seem to look at things at a very surface level. Or otherwise you seem intent on reducing everything you consume into a child-like paste, which you can really keep for your own self.
>>
>>619369

What you 'consider' really doesn't matter.
>>
>>619376
It's advice, man. Pride results in a fall, abandon it. If you want to get shit on by the creative forces of the universe, feel free. You can do what you want. I'm just trying to project wisdom on your path.
>>
>>619393

Yeah i'm gonna project something on yours.
>>
>>619380
What you do doesn't either I suppose then.
>>
File: 1438460096653.png (1 MB, 1544x1600) Image search: [Google]
1438460096653.png
1 MB, 1544x1600
>>619402
Have fun being a slave in Yaldabaoth's realm l0l
>>
>>619376
>You seem to look at things at a very surface level. Or otherwise you seem intent on reducing everything you consume into a child-like paste, which you can really keep for your own self.
was there a point to this response?
the original person I was responding to claimed christianity was the "dumbest" of all religions and I stated equally applicable religions for that title
excuse me if I'm not as learned in the spiritual world as yourself, so how about you attempt to enlighten me rather than condescend from a supposed high ground
>>
>>619412
>>619413

Praise Yahweh, the Lord and God.
>>
>>619428

If you'd like to learn here you should position your comments a little better, as in pose questions instead of kind of swing with your eyes closed.

What would you like to know first? There's loads to tell.
>>
File: cooties.jpg (124 KB, 976x474) Image search: [Google]
cooties.jpg
124 KB, 976x474
>>618767
>Girls have cooties, and, if constantine is a girl, she has cooties

Most probably.
>>
>>619436
it'd be proper to start with your own interpretation of the holy trinity considering the contempt you seem to show for it

>as in pose questions instead of kind of swing with your eyes closed.
the post I made that you originally responded to wasn't a question at all
>>
File: 1441437998108.png (746 KB, 696x745) Image search: [Google]
1441437998108.png
746 KB, 696x745
>>619430
Pfft, Yahweh is just the first aspect you need to learn out of many. It is the unity of the division, the higher force above artificial chaos and order.
>>
>>619459

Yahweh and Christ are the way, all else can distract you if they want and if you let them, Lord knows.

>>619455

I was more wondering whether you'd intepreted the trinity before calling the Christ ideology dumb in any context.
>>
>>619479
>I was more wondering whether you'd intepreted the trinity before calling the Christ ideology dumb in any context.
I never said that
think you might be responding to the wrong person
>>
>>619493

Well I too have no contempt for the trinity, so I think you too might have been responding to the wrong person.

In any case, God bless you brother.
>>
>>619428>>619352

As the person who made the original statement, I still stand by it. Yes, Islam and Hinduism and pretty much every religion make a broad number of factual and cosmological claims, pretty much all of which are implausible.

Christianity one ups that: Not only do they make similar implausible claims, they also try to claim they're the fulfillment of a work of scripture for a completely different religion, one that makes the rather open claim that people who do what they're trying to do are heretics and should be executed. They claim to see dozens if not hundreds of prophecies for their God-Messiah, (many of which are in non-prophetic sections of the work), often by just inventing new meanings to make it fit.

It requires a level of doublethink that isn't duplicated in any other religion I'm aware of.
>>
>>617293

I didn't think that the Orthodox believed in the same repetitive superstitions as the Muslims do.

>say al muhy three thousand times
>get healthy sons

Where did this number come from and why? Can you site a source or did you make it up? Either way I'll call a priest tomorrow and ask.
>>
>>618974
Look, it doesn't have to be seclusion (in fact I don't mean it to be), it can be soundlessly as you go about your day. Just carry some method of counting to keep track, like like knotted twine or a mechanical counter or use your phone or something.
>>
>>619740
It's just an arbitrary number, the number itself isn't mystical or important. The only reason a specific number is used is so you don't burn yourself out.
>>
>>619459
The son is Yahweh, the Father is Yahweh, the Holy Spirit is Yahweh. See Genesis 18, which uses YHWH in the Hebrew (translated as the Lord in English and Greek).
>>
>>619858

Constantine, will you marry me?
>>
>>620031
No, but I'm flattered.
>>
File: Assbaby.jpg (22 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Assbaby.jpg
22 KB, 400x400
>>620031
>>620051

But you two could have adorable children. You should go for it.
>>
>>620067

Our children would look much more adorable than that, thank you.
>>
>>617293
>walk down to metro
>see christcuck evangelists with their cardboard ad and travel guides
>see this every morning
>im usually in a hurry, yet they still say hi
>look at them with disgust
>always the black guys who tells them off and shows them what theyre doing is bullshit
>tfw true monotheist masterrace
i fucking hate christians, your dumb as fuck and think your the saved ones, with no logic to back it up, but in truth you are as degenerate as the other pagans, fucking faggots
>>
>>620248
From the Jewish FAQ

Q1: Concerning the lack of portrayal of God as Triune in the Tanakh.

A1: Genesis 18 explicitly depicts YHWH (generally translated as “the Lord” ever since the Septuagint) as Triune.

Q1a: Concerning the three men not being God.

A1a: He refers to them as אֲדֹנָי, the emphatic form of Lord, a term used 448 times in the Tanakh--in every case it used to refer to YHWH. Would Abraham's use in Genesis 18 be the sole exception?

>>
>>620248
From the Muslim FAQ

Q1: Concerning the Trinity as polytheism, as the doctrine of aspects, Sabellianism, is considered heretical.

A1: The Greek terms used here (οὐσία and ὑπόστασις) are generally translated as “being” and “person”, but can also be translated as “essence” and “existence”, so God is one essence with three distinct (though not separate) existences . According to Hebrews 1:3, the Son is not merely an εἰkών (generally translated as “image”) of God, as man is: He is a χαραkτήρ (which means perfect replication) of God’s ὑποστάσεως; so the Son, being a perfect replication of God’s existence, means HE IS (YHWH is archaic Hebrew for “HE IS”); so God the Father begets God the Son, but does not create him, because that would conflict with the Son being a perfect replica of God’s existence, as God’s existence doesn’t begin or end, and is uncreated; the Son also cannot be a distinct being from God, as God’s essence is predicated upon his existence (ὑπόστασις means the underlying support--I AM). So first of all, ask, “Could God furnish (not create, as God is uncreated) a perfect replica of himself?” Then ask what that would entail, and you get the Trinity. Now of course you might ask, “Why would God do that?” Well, even putting aside the divinity of Christ, the Trinity is fundamental to the Christian conception of God as love, and this explains why: http://www.antiochian.org/node/17594 This is all beyond really putting into words except in the vaugest of senses, but it makes more sense when factor out spatial and temporal conceptions, though it nonetheless remains a divine mystery
>>
File: 1453208531244.jpg (183 KB, 640x931) Image search: [Google]
1453208531244.jpg
183 KB, 640x931
To the people arguing with the OP what do you hope to achieve by someone who has as his axiom that the requirement of something being truth is based on its alignment with the teachings of the Eastern Orthodox Church?

If your views do not have similar axioms there will be no gain bar the coincidental and likewise for him regarding his axioms.
>>
>>620264
>>620266
the way i look at it is if a guy alone in a desert island can't figure out your definition of God by his rationality alone, then your definition is wrong, equal opportunity to find God and be saved

1 God all powerful, logical

3 in 1, but not really equal but all the same, born in the middle east, ect.. its too specific

if you have no exposure to the true monothestic religion, but still believe in 1 God alone, you will go to heaven, but in the christian case, you wont

and its not a theoretical situation either, there are many isolated tribes in the amazon and in india, im sure one of them became monotheist by his own logic
>>
>>620264
>אֲדֹנָי

Genesis 19:2. 1 Samuel 25:10.

You're welcome.
>>
>>620310
Neither of these is the same grammatical form
>>
>>620295
>if he's not comprehensible, he's not God
Surely you jest?
>>
>>617293
Have you tried being filled with the holy spirit by Pentacostals, do Sufi Dihkir or undergone auditing to the state of clear and externality by Scientologists?
>>
>>620330
Do atheists have any religious objections to the Jesus Prayer?
>>
>>620334
Im not an athiest and you didnt answer the question.
>>
>>620323

19:2 is quite literally the same word, applied to the same angels that appeared before Abraham.

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/i/t/t0118.htm

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/i/t/t0119.htm

Samuel's addition of the vav is because surprise, Naval is talking about the pluralized "Many servants" who break away from their master.

If you don't understand basic Hebrew grammar, why do you think you can do commentary on it?

Here's a little test for you, oh wise scholar. Translate this for me. I'll even make it easy, throw in the vowels.

הִנֵּה הָעַלְמָה הָרָה וְיֹלֶדֶת בֵּן
>>
>>620342
I've participated in Pentecostalism before

Sufi Dihkir is basically appropriated from Christianity, so I don't see the point

Scientologists are a criminal organization.
>>
>>620346
It's the same word, but not the same grammatical form. Which can be quite crucial with terminology.

According to which exegesis?
>>
Folks, I have to sign off for Friday Fast, which starts in the evening, but I will be back Saturday to resume discussion.
>>
>>620264
>Origen (Commentary on Psalms 2.2) and Jerome (Prologus Galeatus) said that in their time the best manuscripts gave not the word Κύριος but the tetragrammaton itself written in an older form of the Hebrew characters.

Besides, if the men are God, how can Abraham stand before Yhwh after the men walk away?
>>
>>620357

God bless you, Constantine.
>>
>>620348
Have you been filled?

>Sufi Dihkir is basically appropriated from Christianity, so I don't see the point

Even if one accepts that, the importance lies in that such a practice could lead one to Allah via the state it triggers just as your prayer would.

>Scientologists are a criminal organization.

Havent you heard of the Freezone Scientologists? They can provide auditing free from the criminal activities of the Church.
>>
>>620353

>It's the same word, but not the same grammatical form. Which can be quite crucial with terminology.

It is the exact same word and grammatical form. Unless you can somehow come up with a reason as to why "please" in the immediately preceding word would change the meaning of the successive word, you are literally talking out of your ass.

>According to which exegesis?

According to the meaning of the text. Translate it, please. I'll accept anything that's grammatically correct, as long as each word hits a valid meaning. If you're worried about me quibbling over הָעַלְמָה meaning virgin, I won't.
>>
>>620361

Don't forget that the same men talk to Lot, who is no prophet and then goes on an extended adventure involving dealing with a mob of sodomites, in no shape for the sort of trance and/or dream that you'd need to contact the divine.
>>
>>617483
>The earliest Buddhist canon, which is the Pali canon, dates from 29 BC and make no mention of mantra meditation. Christian meditation dates back to the OT (Genesis 24:63).
>>620348
>Sufi Dihkir is basically appropriated from Christianity

You are the Christian equivalent of this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tw7LIykvBw
>>
>>620348
>Pentecostalism
No thanks, not for me
>>
>>620348
>Pentecostalism
Disgusting.
>>
>>617483
Source?
>>
>>617293
Sounds like vain repetitions to me.
>>
>>620324
not fully comprehensible, but deducing the basics (with no outside influence) should be possible to all humans
>>
>>617293
>Get a counter and do this exactly three thousand times a day for three days straight, not a single time more, not a single time less.

You are literally insane.
>>
>>620679
yeah lol, just repeat OP sucks fat cocks for 3 hours a day for 3 days and you will see proof of OP
>>
>>620679
Which is why they talk of "daemons" afflicting people who do the technique incorrectly
>>
File: fakeJesus.jpg (62 KB, 700x456) Image search: [Google]
fakeJesus.jpg
62 KB, 700x456
>>617293
Does your breathing excercise refute historical evidence that jesus was a myth?

I'll rely on PhD historians with specialization in ancient history who know ancient greek and latin to read the sources directly. And their peer-reviewed published works.

Jesus was not a historical figure. Same as Moses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses#Historicity

https://books.google.de/books/about/On_the_Historicity_of_Jesus.html?id=EWIJoAEACAAJ
>>
>>621320
Probably shouldn't use Ehrman as your pic since he wrote an entire book on why jesus is likely historical. Although obviously quite different than his gospel portrayal.
>>
File: 1447282361962.png (367 KB, 488x351) Image search: [Google]
1447282361962.png
367 KB, 488x351
>>621320
>Bart Erhman is a proponent of the Jesus Myth
>citing Richard Carrier
You are embarrassing yourself, friend.
>>
>>621320
I don't understand why Carrier readers always mention the fact that his book is 'peer-reviewed.' It's not that hard a bar to clear, I've read papers with arguments like 'Luke was a good historian because he mentions specific numbers' which made it through peer review.
Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.