[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do the existential thoughts and the fear of ceasing to exist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: Terracotta_Warriors2.jpg (79 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Terracotta_Warriors2.jpg
79 KB, 640x480
Do the existential thoughts and the fear of ceasing to exist ever go away?

When I was like 17 I used to think that I'd stop stressing about it over time, 10 years later and I still have those same thoughts. No philosophy, books or real life activities ever helped me.
>>
I wouldn't know about yours, but existential crises can end.
>>
>>853631
After diagnosed with a very serious disease that made my life literal hell and anguish for years when I was 23, coupled with painkiller addiction.I started to long for death.

I don't know did opiates cause this, but after one accidental overdose, eternal sleep sounds a very comforting thought to me.

Marcus Aurelius meditations have been only comforting book to me and his stoic philosophy itself he expounds in that book. It is a rather curious fact that he wrote it almost on his death-bed and probably under Opium according to some sources.

Dealing with pain is always worse than death and has made me appreciate the condition where there is only bliss for the body and mind (chemically or otherwise achieved), but I don't consider myself hedonist.
>>
Get a hobby and a girlfriend

Even then, you'll probably still think aboht it from time to time. Not much can be done. Enjoy the time you jave in this life is all I can say.
>>
>>853645
this. also sleeping and living healthy helps.
>>
>>853631
yes and the ignorance generating your fear of death happens with stream entry as the buddhist call it.

=>you are sad because you take seriously what you feel and what you think, whereas those are not really you.
Once you understand this, the attempt to stop being sad is the attempt to reach stillness which brings you happiness.
>>
>>853631
I'm actually kind of afraid of eternity.

Oblivion seems simpler.
>>
>>853631
based 12 year old babby having his first "existential crisis"
>>
> the fear of ceasing to exist
You can't fear inevitable all of your life. For any sane human there is limit for how much he can fear anything. There exist a point past that you just doesn't care anymore.
>>
>>857313
>For any sane human there is limit for how much he can fear anything
Really now?
>>
Read walt whitman
>>
>>853631

Think about it this way; once you're dead you won't care.
>>
File: chillin.jpg (88 KB, 634x476) Image search: [Google]
chillin.jpg
88 KB, 634x476
>>853631
“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”
t. Mark Twain
>>
>>853631
Are you me?
>>
Existentialists are babbies crawling out of a mother's womb. You need to literally "grow up".

People who haven't seen the existentialist's plight are still stuck in the womb however. So, don't let that fool you into thinking you're some hot shit.
>>
>>853631
Step 1: attain equanimity
>>
>>858950
This. Death can't be bad, because you wouldn't experience suffering, nor miss being happy, in a state of nonbeing. If you believe in an afterlife then you wouldn't be having an existential crisis.
>>
File: boutlet.png (102 KB, 765x1145) Image search: [Google]
boutlet.png
102 KB, 765x1145
Nope. You just have to stay distracted or delude yourself into believing that death is not the end.
>>
>>859359
That's sad.
>>
>>859359
>>860105
Eh, I think it's something that most of us would prefer having over not.
>>
bvyo
>>
You can become suicidal.
>>
File: bacon velazquez.jpg (398 KB, 1123x709) Image search: [Google]
bacon velazquez.jpg
398 KB, 1123x709
>>853631
I like it. It's what makes me feel alive. It often makes me want to listen to music, and led me to crave for quality ones, including other arts in general. Sometimes it makes me creative. It's hard but when I struggle while meditating/thinking, it grants me personal glory and satisfactions so long I don't give up.

Of course, the pay off is when I did so, I didn't pay attention to my health and well-being at all. Is that what those Freudian nutjobs call 'Death Drive'?
>>
>>861840
I also hate it at the same time, trying to avoid it, because I'm also a coward.
>>
You live on through your children. In any case death is part of the human condition. You also won't care that you're dead because you'll be dead.
>>
>>853631
What books have you actually read?
>>
Id say OP pic alone proves the fear of death is unavoidable. The Emperor was the most powerful, rich, etc person known to exist in their limited knowledge of the world and he was still scared enough of death to make all those golems for his afterlife
>>
>>861886
that emperor was a pathetic narcissist
>>
I can't understand why people are scared of dying

I mean, I fully understand being scared of other people dying - they leave and you never see them again even though you wish you could
But what is scary about your own death? I don't get it
>>
>>863047
>But what is scary about your own death?
beyond the unknown, you fear to miss an achievement in life.
>>
>>863121
>the unknown
But there's nothing we know better than death
For most of the universe's existence we weren't alive after all

>fear to miss an achievement in life
How does that matter to the point of being scared? Yeah it's pretty cool to try to make your actions in life have positive consequences, but eventually when the lights must go out you don't exactly have a choice, and that's what you signed for when you were born anyway. Countless people in history have simply been forgotten and erased from memory, why should we be surprised it will be our case too?

I obviously don't want to die - being alive isn't a bad thing, and if I died I would make people sad - but I rarely think about it, it'll come when it'll come and that's it
>>
Death is a beautiful thing and the only real religion. It's a transcendent phenomenon that every person gets to "experience" (or 'go through,' I guess, since you're not really there to 'experience' it). Philosophers and even scientists try to identify universals, but it seems they want to ignore the one concrete universal that applies not only to all human beings, but all living things, and eventually the universe itself. Fear of death is like fear of deprivation, but death isn't a deprivation (unless you stay alive and someone else dies), it's a neutralizing of qualities. An un-differentiation. All matter reduces back to it's homogenous starting point. It's kind of comforting.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.