[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Throughout the years it has become a duty of each Flat Earth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 11
File: 54.png (396 KB, 543x543) Image search: [Google]
54.png
396 KB, 543x543
>Throughout the years it has become a duty of each Flat Earth Society member, to meet the common round earther in the open, avowed, and unyielding rebellion; to declare that his reign of error and confusion is over; and that henceforth, like a falling dynasty, he must shrink and disappear, leaving the throne and the kingdom of science and philosophy to those awakening intellects whose numbers are constantly increasing, and whose march is rapid and irresistible. The soldiers of truth and reason of the Flat Earth Society have drawn the sword, and ere another generation has been educated and grown to maturity, will have forced the usurpers to abdicate. Like the decayed and crumbling trees of an ancient forest, rent and shattered by wind and storm, the hypothetical philosophies, which have hitherto cumbered the civilized world, are unable to resist the elements of experimental and logical criticism; and sooner or later must succumb to their assaults. The axe is uplifted for a final stroke - it is about to fall upon the primitive sphere of the earth, and the blow will surely "cut the cumberer down!"

The Bedford Level Experiment has been repeated countless times, is the "a temperature inversion caused refraction", always going to be the augment against it?
>>
>>603146
>Bedford Level Experiment
>(...) accepted as a new proof that the surface of the earth was indeed curved

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_Level_experiment

Any other delusions you need fixed?
>>
>>603182
It should be lower when viewed from either end, not higher.
>>
>>603146
Go to the beach. Sit down. Look at a ship sailing away. The bottom disappears before the sail
>>
>>603306
I think you need to go back to elementary school
>>
>>603476
Light from objects too far away either hits the ground or is bent upwards before it reaches us. This also explains the "sinking ship" effect: the bottom portion of the ship appears to sink into the ocean because all of the light either hits the ocean or is bent upwards, but light from the top portion will be able to go further down before being bent upwards and becoming visible to us, since the ocean is lower relative to it. Also, this allows for an extremely high Greater Ice Wall to keep the atmosphere in, while remaining invisible.
>>
Is the Flat Earth Society one big joke?
>>
Get in a plane and fly directly south until you cross Antarctica

Or

Get two planes, at a latitude of X degrees, one North and one South, and have they fly at the same direction in a distance of Y, making sure that they keep the same speed and fly the same amount of time and distance. At the end, both will be at the same longitude.
>>
>>603501
Very few of them seem to have been pisstakers.

I wonder if there's any profit preying on schizos? At my university the otherwise very well regarded founding geology professor held on to expanding earth (despite originally being an early proponent of continental drift theory), and there's many old copies of a symposium of his floating about. I wonder if I could make a profit from schizos by selling them?
>>
>>603488
This reminded me of Discworld cosmology

rip Pratchett
>>
>>603501
No.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/

We are simply adherents of Zeticism

>Zeteticism is a system of scientific inquiry. The word is derived from the Greek verb ζητέω (zeteo), which means "I seek; I examine; I strive for". A zeteticist is a person who practises zeteticism.

>Zeteticism differs from the usual scientific method in that using zeteticism one bases his conclusions on experimentation and observation rather than on an initial theory that is to be proved or disproved. A zetetic forms the question then immediately sets to work making observations and performing experiments to answer that question, rather than speculating on what the answer might be then testing that out.

>For example, in questioning the shape of the Earth the zetetic does not make a hypothesis suggesting that the Earth is round or flat and then proceed testing that hypothesis; he skips that step and devises an experiment that will determine the shape of the Earth, and bases his conclusion on the result of that experiment. Many feel this is a more reasonable method than the normal scientific method because it removes any preconceived notions and biases the formation of a hypothesis might cause, and leaves the conclusion up entirely to what is observed.
>>
>>603488
This

The flat earth theory is completely rejected by modern science. So for every single piece of evidence you put forth the flat earthers need to come up with some crazy shit. Like inventing new behavior for light. Or rejecting the laws of Newton.

It’s so stupid, it’s not even wrong.
>>
Just curious, how do flat earthers explain the moon and telescope footage?
>>
>>603595
Did you read the quote you just said "this" to? I was explaining why the horizon effect has nothing to do with the curvature of the earth.
>>
>>603610
All faked in a big conspiracy by NASA and globe-makers
>>
>>603610
It was basically faked. Not because of anything sinister to make the world look round, but because of dickwaving in the Cold War, and the pressure to beat the other side in the space race. It looks round because that is what they think it looks like, so that is the model they used for the space pictures.
>>
>>603615
>>603616
It's not anything about NASA videos, anons. I'm asking how they explain moon curvature that a plain eye can see and other planets that you can see on amateur telescopes.
>>
File: 32.gif (1 MB, 482x482) Image search: [Google]
32.gif
1 MB, 482x482
>>603632
>>
>>603639
How do they explain why the Sun doesn't light the entire planet? Since light radiates in a straight line
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (34 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
34 KB, 413x395
>>603639
This is great.
>>
>>603146
This seems more of a /sci/ shitpost than a /his/ one.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeY9tY9vKgs

RELATED VIDEO - FAKED NASA FOOTAGE
>>
File: afg.jpg (123 KB, 1655x282) Image search: [Google]
afg.jpg
123 KB, 1655x282
>>603667
>>
>>603611
yes I did.
>or is bent upwards
Wrong

> this allows for an extremely high Greater Ice Wall to keep the atmosphere in, while remaining invisible.
not even wrong
>>
>>603536
The major difficulty in profiting from schizos comes from the psychotic mind being rather random in the worldviews it adopts. It's basically gambling, paranoid schizos are just as likely to reject as they are to accept weird shit.

Source: I'm a schizo
>>
>>603581
>and leaves the conclusion up entirely to what is observed.
the earth is observed to be spherical.
>>
>>603704
Nope.
>>
>>603713
Damn, that's convincing.
You got me. I now nelieve the Flat Earth
\o/
>>
>>603727
https://wiki.tfes.org/Sinking_Ship_Effect
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5So6gmOjaO0
>>
>>603733
yeah that's just as wrong as ever.
If it were true a good telescope would alow you to see Tokio from LA.

Any more proofs?
>>
I'm pretty sure this garbage doesn't belong on this board.
>>
parsimony.
>>
>>603581
>Zeteticism differs from the usual scientific method in that using zeteticism one bases his conclusions on experimentation and observation rather than on an initial theory that is to be proved or disproved. A zetetic forms the question then immediately sets to work making observations and performing experiments to answer that question, rather than speculating on what the answer might be then testing that out.
>>603681
>When the theory is complete, attempts will be made to measure this experimentally.
>>
File: Elevator_gravity2.png (24 KB, 400x272) Image search: [Google]
Elevator_gravity2.png
24 KB, 400x272
In the Flat Earth model, 'gravity', rather than being a force, is the upward acceleration of the Earth. The Earth always accelerates upward at 1g, which is equivalent to the gravitational acceleration in the Round Earth model. Like the force of gravity, the Earth's acceleration causes several commonly observed phenomena in our daily lives.

'Universal Acceleration' is a theory of gravity within the Flat Earth Model. The traditional theory of gravity (e.g. Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, General Theory of Relativity, etc) is incompatible with the Flat Earth Model because it requires a large, spherical mass pulling objects uniformly toward its center.

Rather than a downward pull due to the presence of mass, the theory of Universal Acceleration asserts that the roughly disk-shaped Earth is accelerating 'upward' at a constant rate of 1g (9.8m/sec^2). This produces the effect commonly referred to as "gravity".

There are two Universal Acceleration models. The first model deals with the Universal Accelerator, which sits underneath the Earth and accelerates anything it touches. The second model deals with Dark Energy, which accelerates all celestial bodies, including the Earth, in the universe. Modern astrophysics accounts that the expansion of the universe is due to Dark Energy.
>>
>>603772
see >>603595
also, that 1g acceleration would, after some time, cause the Earth to move upwards faster than the speed of light (c)
>>
>>603797
I'm not advocating it or anything, I just find the whole thing hilarious. They have to reinvent physics to make this model work.
>>
>>603797
https://wiki.tfes.org/Universal_Acceleration#Why_doesn.27t_the_Earth.27s_velocity_reach_the_speed_of_light.3F
>>
>>603812
not even gonna click that. Cos no matter what it says, if it truely were of Einsteinian proportions I'd have seen the news about the Nobel prize.
>>
>>603832
>begging the question
>>
>>603812
>>603832
>>603836
Shit. I looked at it anyway.
But nothing that actually explains it. Just restates special relativity.
We already know nothing can go faster than light. But the constant acceleration of 1g would violate that law. Earth would be experiencing serious relativistic effects by now. And the amount of energy to keep the acceleration going would reach infinity.

So back to square one for FE
>>
>>603146
>Bedford Level Experiment

But most of the bedford level experiments say that the earth is indeed curved...
>>
>>603836
>fallacy fallacy
>>
Holy shit this thread is retarded.
>>
>>603869
>We already know nothing can go faster than light. But the constant acceleration of 1g would violate that law

ive always been fascinated by this

theoretically if you have a spaceship with infinite fuel and enough power to keep a constant 1G push why couldent you go faster then light? what effects would make it impossible to go faster then light? i mean what resistances would be strucurally damaging and shit like that? also relativistic effects?

you seam like a smart fellow so feel free to answer
>>
>>603922
>butthurt roundian detected
>>
>>603941
>implying the earth is flat
>>
>>603938
The mass of the ship would increase infinitely, making it so that it would require an infinite amount of energy to be moved
>>
>>603954
thanks for your answer anon i learned some new shit about how mass works

but its still theoretically possible if you would have a infinite energy source capable of turning it into infinite amount of forward propulsion right? (to bad we dont)
>>
>>603966
not the same anon. But no. The speed of light (c) is a fundamental limit for all objects that have mass. Like space ships and flat earths. No amount of savvy tech can overcome it. And no amount of bull shit FE theory either.
Only massless particles can (and will always) travel at c in a vacuum.
>>
File: 1449723399762.jpg (58 KB, 556x556) Image search: [Google]
1449723399762.jpg
58 KB, 556x556
>>603949
Dez pikture is klearly shopped you gubmint shill!!111
>>
>>604128
and these? all shoopt too?
https://www.google.nl/search?q=earth+from+space&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiDoN3Sm8XKAhWGjg8KHQzHA1kQ_AUIBigB
>>
File: 1433401691985.jpg (28 KB, 264x292) Image search: [Google]
1433401691985.jpg
28 KB, 264x292
>>604181
of course, look at the continents,
>sometimes, they look smaller or bigger
>sometimes there are clouds all over the place, can't see the continents
>sometimes the land is complete different colour
>>
>>603146
Oh god not this thread again

>>>/trash/
>>
>>604237
>sometimes, they look smaller or bigger
"Look" not "are".
What are different camera settings, angles, lenses?

>clouds
What is weather?

>different colors
What are seasons?
What is vegetation?
>>
File: 1375873301061.gif (1 MB, 267x219) Image search: [Google]
1375873301061.gif
1 MB, 267x219
>>603581
>Zeteticism differs from the usual scientific method in that using zeteticism one bases his conclusions on experimentation and observation rather than on an initial theory that is to be proved or disproved.
>>
How are global positioning systems supposed to work, according to the Flat Earthers?
>>
>>603966

My understanding (I know nothing much about physics):

First we need to define 'acceleration'. We can define it in two ways: Covering more space in the same amount of time, or covering the same amount of space in less time. The latter definition is more useful here.

The faster you travel relative to a given frame of reference, the slower you move through time relative to that reference frame (experimentally confirmed with atomic clocks).

So we can see that acceleration is intimately bound up with notions of time and space.

Imagine then, that there must be a velocity you could in theory reach, at the point of acceleration past which you would cease to be traveling through time at all relative to any other reference frame. And since we're defining acceleration as covering the same distance in less time, clearly you cannot accelerate beyond that point, since it's not possible to cover a distance X in less time than time Y when Y = 0.
>>
>>605077
Generally, they write things they can't explain with their model off by either providing some other "theory" which is just complex enough that a layman will stop when seeing the math and assume it's right because it looks smart, or they'll just say it's a massive government conspiracy.
>>
>>605165

I mean, obviously. I was just interested in seeing what exactly OP would come up with.
>>
>>603536

If all professors always held the same view we'd never challenge incorrect theories.
>>
How do flat earthers explain the other planets, are they flat too?
>>
How do flat earthers explain Eratosthenes and his measurement of the circumference of the earth and his shadow observations?
>>
>>605209
>lol stupid greeks
>they were all fags anyway
>what a fag
>>
>>605200
I've got a friend who's a flat earther. They're round, it's just Earth that's flat.
>>
>>603146
Explain seasons, I fucking dare you pancake boy.
Why was my day in Michigan today shorter than my sister's day in Australia
>>
how would flat-earthers explain throwing an object so hard it never hits the ground (aka orbit)
>>
>>606692
I think they just deny that orbit has been achieved same way they'd deny the moon landing. Makes you wonder what they'd say about satellites
>>
>>606361
https://wiki.tfes.org/Seasons#How_do_you_explain_day.2Fnight_cycles_and_seasons.3F
>>
>>603506
I see that no one tried to find flaws in my proposed experiments
>>
File: 600px-Flat_Earth_Seasons.svg.png (62 KB, 600x322) Image search: [Google]
600px-Flat_Earth_Seasons.svg.png
62 KB, 600x322
>>606802
That's actually really funny. This is like when slightly less stupid people think that summer and winter are cause by the proximity of the sun.
News flash, seasonal variations in solar energy aren't cause by any sort of orbit of the Earth around the Sun or vice versa. On two dates, in two places respectively, the sun can be seen for a whopping 24 hours. A little event called the equinox and this (pic related) coupled with this really spectacular model here >>603639
leaves one curious as to how that phenomenon occurs. Does the sun shine in sort of a donut shape to illuminate the Antarctic circle and not the Arctic?
>>
File: wp06816beb[1].gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
wp06816beb[1].gif
2 MB, 320x180
Flat Earth is probably my second favorite stupid theory.

The first is obviously concave earth theory.
>>
>>603537
Liek dis if u cry evertim
>>
>>603675
Can confirm. Have seen this threads made on there, and they all seem like they were made by one delusional guy
>>
>>603581
Explain the International Space Station
>>
You guys will laugh now but they did the same to Jesus and Scientology, just you wait.
>>
>>608759
It a goblin hanging from a tree branch, dangling a model version of the ISS.
>>
How does Flat Earth explain how GPS works?
Too widespread to be a big guberment conspiracy, right?
>>608780
Holy keks
>>
>>606718
I remember reading once that GPS and satellites are explained by this massive government conspiracy, where you have guards all around the "antarctic border wall" that shoot anyone that gets close and satellites being merely really big radio towers spaced out around that wall.
>>
>>608675
Oh man, I wish we were inside the earth, it looks so cozy
>>
>>608935
Mathematical models technically work as well using that.
>>
Flatearther retardation can explain most phenomena from their pov, just as you can construct equations that will assume a geocentric world and will work; They can work out an answer for everything to fit an idea of a flat earth, however these are separate bits from you can't construct overarching an theory, that through its concise nature elegantly explains natural phenomena and can be applied to both the heavens above us, to ourselves and scales below.

And this is where modern science triumphs over pseudoscience.
>>
>>607125
currently on a plane BRB
>>
>>608772
>Jesus and Scientology
and I'm still laughing at both!
>>
>>603639
I like the Pratchett way better, where the sun goes under the Discworld at night.
>>
>>608985
I like how they claim to use a method that doesn't assume models and set out to prove them, but use observation instead.
Then they proceed to invent models that replace roundhoax physics with those that would work with a flat earth.

top kek
>>
>>609060
Same. I also like the fact that he invents his own physics - his universe has different laws. For example, there is a dense field of magic in the air, depending on where you live. So when the sun rises, it has difficulty penetrating the said field, so it creeps up slowly at some places, and faster at another. These guys could learn a thing or two from him
>>
>>608985

geocentric and heliocentric theory are not necessarily incompatible if you apply the theory of relativity, it would all just depend on the vantage point.

Flat earthers are not however arguing that the earth is flat from a certain point of view.
>>
>>606361
>>606802
>>607727
This. The equinox completely disproves the flat earth model
>>
The world is flat, the earth is round. We must find a bridge and this is where our brain and eyes come into play. It's all physics.
>>
>>603501

/x/ is fairly convinced they're a group funded and full of CIA operatives meant to discredit all truther societies by making this one look particularly fucking loony.

Not that the CIA would have to try very hard, the Flat Earth Society is one big fucking joke even without the conspiracy theories.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.