[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Donner Party
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: donner dinner party.jpg (425 KB, 1200x818) Image search: [Google]
donner dinner party.jpg
425 KB, 1200x818
What went so wrong?
>>
What?
>>
>>599789
Damn, they were young.
>>
>Patrick Dolan
Shouldn't have brought along someone with a meme name
>>
>>599789

Long pork is just too delicious.
>>
>>599789
Turns out snow is cold.
>>
>>599791
During the "pioneer era" of American history, a group of pioneers got trapped in the mountains and ended up having to resort to cannibalism. It's a footnote in US history classes, so if you're not a burger you probably wouldn't have heard about it. It's just US history trivia.
>>
>>599986
how do you get trapped in a mountain?
>>
File: Robert-Carlyle-Ravenous.jpg (37 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
Robert-Carlyle-Ravenous.jpg
37 KB, 500x300
>>599789
Robert Carlyle ate them
>>
>>600019
Snow.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (42 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
42 KB, 1280x720
>>600019
They were using a pass in the mountains when the snow came down. They weren't able to get through the snow so they settled down in a camp to wait for spring when the trails would clear up again. You can't navigate this shit with 1800s equipment while carrying your entire life with you.

They didn't literally get trapped inside of a mountain.
>>
>>599986
Oh, OK. I'm Canadian so the only US history we learned was during the American Revolution and the War of 1812 as they tied in with Canadian history. Manifest Destiny was also studied a bit since it was one of the factors for confederation.
>>
>>600093
Yeah it happened pretty much during that "manifest destiny" era. I think the Donners were crossing in the Rocky Mountains when they got fucked up.
>>
>>599789
Some dude sold them a travel guide that was complete bullshit. Not even joking.
>>
>>600199
>Pioneers bought the "MAP OF THE STARS" Hollywood equivalent meme maps
>>
>>600093
I'm a Canadian and many people I know are aware of this, so that's not really an excuse. It's uncommon but still alluded to within pop culture, it's not exactly obscure.
>>
>>600199
This. Actually. He brought them through a "shortcut" that actually added another month to their journey.
Hence why they ended up going through the mountains at the worst time possible.
>>
>>599789
They died
>>
>>599789
>White people

Foods so bad they ate each other.
Still better than Mac and Cheese
>>
>>599789
They had a Texan in charge and went into the snowy mountains.

And they kicked out the Irish guy who would save the survivors in the end.
>>
>>601546
Was it due to his race that he was kicked out?

Eternal Anglos at it again.
>>
Little known fact, humans in survival situations generally don't kill and eat one another simply for food. They typically would rather starve than resort to murder. Usually starvation is just an excuse to murder someone who is detrimental to the group.
>>
>>599789
the books that pic is from are pretty great. wish i had them when i was little.
then again, the picture only shows the forlorn hope expidition, they were the young people trying to break out over the mountains to find help/food.

anyway yeah the donnor party is a depressing calvalcade of misery.
>>
>>599789
>Doesn't Antonio get a last name?

No, "Antonio" does not need last names.
>>
>>601565
He got in a fight and killed someone else in the expedition. I heard at some point that the fight was about the party taking the wrong route, but that was probably bullshit someone came up with later to make a better story.
>>
File: hand-emoji[1].png (30 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
hand-emoji[1].png
30 KB, 256x256
>>601565
haha epic /int/posting my man
>>
>>601268
Spoiler alert
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.