[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nietzsche thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8
File: Nietzsche.jpg (53 KB, 442x600) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche.jpg
53 KB, 442x600
What is your opinion of this man?

I personally like this Will to Power
But I hate this Nihilism bullshit.
(if you don't believe in God you can believe in nature)

Thoughts?
>>
>But I hate this Nihilism bullshit.
(if you don't believe in God you can believe in nature)
Nihilism ≠ atheism
>>
>>59520
disbelief is an aspect of nihilism.
>>
One of my favorite philosophers. I don't personally see him as a nihilist as he was not a fan of nihilism. I don't think that disbelief in a god or religion is an aspect of nihilism.
Check this site out if you're interested in Nietzsche’s take on nihilism.
>http://www.iep.utm.edu/nihilism/
>>
>>59449

Cringe-tier edgy on occasion, but also the only man that made being an edgelord marginally respectable.

6.9/10
>>
>>59765
>>
Baby first philosopher tier
>>
>>59790
>why is doing what you really want whitout distracting yourself edgy?
>>
>>59449
Nietzsche was an inadvertently religious thinker, whose incessant attacks on Christian beliefs and values merely attest to the fact that he could never shake them off. Schopenhauer was the opposite. He was able to leave off the shackles and understand the true nature of Will and it's relationship to compassion.
>>
literally twitter : the philosopher
>>
>>60459
explain?
>>
100% autist

>Be Nietzsche
>Dad dies when he was a kid.
>Grow into an retard edgy teen with no friends.
>Realize you like cock and start hating on women.
>Hate God because your a massive degenerate faggot.
>Get syphilis
>Become a deformed sickly subhuman cripple.
>Write a bunch of nonsense that no one takes seriously.
>Wave literally zero friends and followers.
>sperg out after seeing a horse die, and lose what was left of your mush brain.
>Last 11 years of your life are in an asylum where you spend your days drooling, shitting yourself and claiming to be Jesus, Napoleon and Ceasar.
>another spegrtard takes to your writing, 100 years later.
>He's almost as stupid, as he tries to conquer the world, instead embracing a decent system and caring for his downtrodden volk.
>>
>>60986
*have
>>
>>59765
based IEP, saved my ass so many times in university, along with SEP
>>
>>60986
good critique of his philosophy, would read again.
>>
>>60986
>100 years later
what

Nietzsche died in 1900, what spergtard are you referring to?
>>
he is an idol for teens that like edgy things and are self-proclaimed atheists after they watched videos about science on youtube
>>
>>59449
The will is pretty much his crazy extrapolation on german popular science of the time IIRC.

But really he's pretty much a none entity, a good second philosopher to read because he can get you thinking though.
>>
>>61035
Obama
>>
Bitter virign.
>>
>>59449
>>>/lit/
>>
>>61111
It says philosophy you done faggot.
>>
>>61096
>>61111
>>61053
>>60986
>>60459
>>59924
thank you all for your appallingly low quality contributions
>>
>>59449

I think his moustache was stupid and he was probably a massive insufferable cunt irl.
>>
File: flowchart.jpg (111 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
flowchart.jpg
111 KB, 960x640
>>59449

There's a difference between active and passive nihilism, and as most people associate the term nihilism with the latter instead of the former, Nietzsche would not be, and would not consider himself a nihilist. I'm sick of this gay ass misunderstanding.

As for Nietzsche, he's my number 2 philosopher. The man made me what I am today. I went from post-Christian morality to aristocracy.
>>
>>59449
Fruit.
3 somes.
Ponies.
>>
Zarathustra is a fun read.
>>
File: nietzscheinsane.jpg (228 KB, 620x364) Image search: [Google]
nietzscheinsane.jpg
228 KB, 620x364
>Tfw you realize Gott ist tot
>>
File: tumblr_msv5d0rIvx1r1vfbso1_500.jpg (135 KB, 500x706) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_msv5d0rIvx1r1vfbso1_500.jpg
135 KB, 500x706
>>59449
Nietzsche wasn't a Nihilist. He quite rightfully predicted that, with the "death of God" and the collapse of Christianity an enormous vacuum meaning would emerge and this could lead to a great crisis of Nihilism throughout Europe. He was interested in sources of meaning which weren't derived from religion or spirituality, hence his concept of the transvaluation of all values, amour fati, the will to power and the eternal recurrence. His focus was using his joyous or "gay science" to create certain concepts or weapons that the reader could use to defend themselves against Nihilism and develop their Will to Power.
>>
File: 1408756796395.jpg (69 KB, 700x900) Image search: [Google]
1408756796395.jpg
69 KB, 700x900
Why does mentioning Nietzsche trigger so much shitposting?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
>>61292
>As for Nietzsche, he's my number 2 philosopher. The man made me what I am today. I went from post-Christian morality to aristocracy.
>>
>>59449
Nietzsche's claims are moot if you're an Aristotelian or even Thomist.
>>
Nietzsche was the only philosopher I was ever really seriously into.

I've since soured on him though, realizing that, in his later years, he just became another idealist metaphysician, the exact thing he railed against in his early years.
>>
>>65375
That's exactly wrong, he was a lifelong idealist (Schopenhauer), though tried to distance himself from it in his later life.
>>
>>65375
Nietzsche wasn't a philosopher though.
>>
His philosophy and ideas may not be entirely well-thought out and a bit immature in places, but the impact of his work on others is undeniable and his legacy is noteworthy for that reason
>>
>>63730
That's an amazingly generous way of looking at it.
>>
>>65118
"Elitist Aristocracy" sums up his philosophy pretty well. I think people with an inferiority complex would really hate him. You've got a philosopher that is implying not only are some people better than others but this is a good thing and the inferior have no right to complain when they fail and others succeed. This triggers losers.

Liberals hate him because he calls their bullshit with slave morality and is anti-egalitarian. Conservatives hate him because he is the anti-Christ and declares the religion an enemy. His style of writing is also pretty aggressive which leads to more hurt feelings.

>>65453
It's a pretty accurate way really, read your Zarathustra. Nietzsche's thinking is entirely pro-active. With God dead the only paths open are the Last Man and the Overman and Nietzsche makes it very clear which one he thinks is preferable.
>>
File: nietzche.jpg (207 KB, 700x449) Image search: [Google]
nietzche.jpg
207 KB, 700x449
>>59449
>edgystentialism
>>
>>66129
Can you source the bottom quote please?
>>
>>59449
the end of philosophy.
>>
I think he's clever and has some good insights but I can't get behind his condemnation of the weak, especially coming from someone who's always excelled academically and intellectually (there are other examples of his excellence in life too I believe). His analysis that morality is essentially a construct that benefits the weak and keeps the strong from ruling over them is correct but I don't agree with his conclusion that we should do away with it. This line of thinking is simply self interest without any greater insight, just like how slave morality is in the self interest of the weak.
>>
>>59449
>But I hate this Nihilism bullshit.

What? the entire point of his philosophy was to create something to fight nihilism. Even the reason he wanted to sweep away Christianity so quickly was to get ready to do SOMETHING about nihilism, because it was already the only possible destination for humanity after the death of god.
>>
>>60222
>Nietzsche was an inadvertently religious thinker,

The precise opposite.

Read a fucking book.
>>
>>61035
Uh don't you know that even 1901 is 100 years after 1899
>>
>>69455
I was told he believed that Christianity's obsession with truth would inevitably destroy Christianity and lead to nihilism.
>>
>>65453
It's pretty much exactly what Nietzsche said. Is "generosity" in your mind reading the author in question and not just wikipedia skimming?
>>
>>69529
Right, he thought it had already happened and there was no turning back, science (which he saw as essential christian and self-hating) would lead to the collapse of all meaning and value in the universe.
>>
Nietzsche opposed nihilism though OP.
>>
>>69435
Nietzsche is essentially an arrogant, self obsessed asshole, but his overall intentions are good, he wants to save mankind as a whole and have there be some sort of future. How much of this is out of love of art and "great men" and how much is HOW HE FUCKING HATES THE LAST MAN, is up to debate. Nietzsche wasn't very good at living up to his own ideals.
>>
File: 1385160376992.png (6 KB, 419x249) Image search: [Google]
1385160376992.png
6 KB, 419x249
Nietzsche is overyhyped in many regards and not hyped enough in others. People take him a little bit too seriously, especially on this board.
He had a few ideas I was fascinated by, mostly concerning how modern man has killed God (God is Dead and all that) and, more importantly, in doing so ushered in a new age of polytheism wherein a perverse effigy of science and reason is erected to fill the void that the death of God left behind.

The more you think about it the more he's right in that regard - we worship science, technology, and "reason" as almost fanatics worship a God. There's even a good number of people that believe, with all their hearts, that if we worship science and technology hard enough it will bring us immortality and eternal happiness and utopia on earth (technological singularity and all that bullshit) and we trust the word of scientists with the same utter lack of skepticism as others would trust the word of their rabbi or priest or imam. God really is dead.
>>
>>69529
He considered Christianity was already nihilistic. Everything that it fails to find meaning in, it declares a sin. God becomes "good" at the expense of the human condition being "bad", this is life denying.

He successfully predicted the religion was on a downhill road. Society had become dependant on the religion to explain the nature of things, with that gone there is a power vaccuum. If it's not filled than nihilism sets in. But what it feels it must be entirly anti-Christian. With God dead none of his morals are alive either. Nietzsche's philosophy is that which fills the power vacuum. God's throne is empty, those that have courage can now sit on it.
>>
Nietzsche was not a nihilist. When will this meme end...
>>
>>59520
>Be Nietzsche
>Dad dies when kid
>Start to hate God because you're an irrational child
>Grow into an Angry edgy teen with zero friends
>Realize you like cock and start to hate women
>Double hate God because he doesn't approve of your degeneracy
>Get syphilis because God works in mysterious ways
>Become a deformed sickly Untermensch cripple
>Write a bunch of nonsense that no one takes seriously
>Have literally 0 friends or followers
>Spurg out after seeing a horse die, and lose what was left of your mush brain
>last 11 years of your life are in an insane asylum where you spend your days drooling, shitting yourself and claiming to be Jesus, Napoleon and Caesar.
>Another spurtard takes to your writing, 100 years later.
>He's almost as stupid, as he tries to conquer the world, instead of embracing a decent system, and caring for his downtrodden volk.
>>
>>69727
In Christian vocabulary nihilist seems to be a word to describe any philosopher that is not religious. There even branches of theology that teach that it is literally impossible find any meaning without a God. In other words, if any person manages to find any sort of meaning to life without a religion, than according to their theology they would be stronger and wiser than God. So they either have to deny Nietzsche or worship him.
>>
>>69662
I agree. I was going to raise that same point that he very clearly has an interest in civilization doing well outside of himself as evidenced by his concern with nihilism (which he thought would be bad for society and individuals) and his love of art and culture and how he thought it should be able to help people in the absence of God. He was a good natured guy I think.
>>
>>59449

Is not Nihilism, is an error of interpretation, with Nietzsche for first we approach to something that seems Nihilism, but you quoted the will to power, and this is the point. The Ubermansch is the man that can stand and accept the fact we are in the eternal return.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fTnEB_r_6Q

Raymond Geuss's Nietzsche lectures are pretty good if you haven't watched 'em
>>
>>69791
Fair enough, but I mean, as far as I have read of Nietzsche he actually seems like he has more or less "uncovered" the fact that the world and it's culture is nihilistic, and he wanted to find a cure to it that was genuine, and not life-denying or a treating of symptoms.
>>
>>60986
stopped reading at degenerate

why cant autist add more words to their vocabulary
>>
>>69970
Nietzche uncovers that there is no absolute morality. There is an absolute drive and that drive is the Will to Power. Keep in mind the word Will is based Shoupenahaur's concept of Will. So it is not that a person seeks power it is that the various wills that form the person seek power. This is why a person committing suicide is not a violation of the Will to Power. In this case it was their Will to Death that sought power and it won out over the combined forces of all other wills.

So the true nature of the world is amoral but not nihilistic. All things have their own meaning through their Will. A person may be a nihilist but the world itself is not nihilistic because of how Will operates. Nietzsche talks extensively about the world being nihilistic because he saw the signs that it would become that way. He expected his future readers to be nihilists or at least to be very familiar with nihilism. In a way a nihilistic person is the ultimate starting point for the Overman. A featureless, flat foundation is the perfect place to build a palace.
>>
>>63730
Oh wow, someone who has actually read Nietzsche. Fancy seeing you here.
>>
>>59449
I like him because Nietzsche was an existentialist in the end- in a world without meaning one is free to create their own. He has little to do with the "lmao cut my wrists" edgy Nihilism (hell he hated it), but rather just recognizing that dogma is bullshit and you shouldn't follow it and instead be your own man.

"If we affirm one moment, we thus affirm not only ourselves but all existence. For nothing is self-sufficient, neither in us ourselves nor in things; and if our soul has trembled with happiness and sounded like a harp string just once, all eternity was needed to produce this one event - and in this single moment of affirmation all eternity was called good, redeemed, justified, and affirmed."

Based Nietzsche.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.