[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Nixon on of the most underrated among US presidents?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Ri.jpg (16 KB, 220x260) Image search: [Google]
Ri.jpg
16 KB, 220x260
Is Nixon on of the most underrated among US presidents?
>>
We've yet enough time to evaluate him properly.
>>
The most underrated presidents are the ones like JQ Adams, Polk, Grant, Arthur, McKinley, the ones most know nothing about
>>
>>590947
>Polk
He's one of the most underrated; Nixon's legacy is unfortunately overshadowed by Watergate
>>
No I'd say Grant is
>>
considering the fact that he re-established relations with china and chinese products are a huge part of the american economy yet whenever you mention nixon you get
>muh watergate-gate
i'd say so
>>
>>591132
>watergate-gate

Kill yourself.
>>
>>590962
Thank you! Fucker said what he was going to do, got it done, and didn't run for reelection. Truely underrated
>>
>>591154
>what is a joke
>>
Nixon did nothing wrong. Prove me wrong, dare you.
>>
>>593189
He spent 1968-1974 establishing a policy in Vietnam that involved trading a substantial amount of blood and treasure for a relatively dignified disengagement from the war.

The entire policy depended on his administration having the political power to keep its promises, despite vast domestic opposition.

Then he got himself caught committing a bunch of felonies, his political power disintegrated, and his administration ended up trading 20,000 American KIA for nothing.
>>
>>593189
He did plenty of things wrong, but his reputation is unduly tarnished by Watergate. The general feel seems to be that he was the worst president in recent history because he resigned, while in reality he did quite a few good things. Still, you had
>starting the drug war
>bombing Cambodia, effectively facilitating the rise of the Khmer Rouge
just off the top of my head.

Still, not as bad in my opinion as Clinton.
>'94 assault weapons ban
>Waco Siege
>Effectively set us on the road to invade Iraq again
But his populr legacy is "oh he got his dick sucked by an intern"
>>
>>590271
>not Van Buren
>not Tyler
>not Cleveland
>not Coolidge
>>
>>593271
To be honest, the North Vietnamese using the north of Cambodia as a fuckpuppet probably did more to bring down their government than American bombing.
>>
>>590271
I was actually thinking about making making a thread about this earlier. I'd say yeah, or close to it. He was a crook, but overall, he wasn't a bad president.
>>
>>590965
What did Grant do that he doesn't get enough credit for. I studied him in high school, and I didn't really get the sense he did much.
>>
The Viet Cong actually feared Nixon as a leader, and his resignation encouraged them to push harder. I doubt we would've won even if he had remained in office, but he scared the commies.
>>
of course

you should check out his books
>>
>>593299

I'd be scared of nixon too

I dont think anyone had a real idea of what the hell he was gonna do

lbj would bully and try and fight poverty, while nixon seemed on a path to heal the nation
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.