[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After binge watching this show's first season I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (208 KB, 670x377) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
208 KB, 670x377
After binge watching this show's first season I've fully realized how comfy we have it not. Seeing that almost all roofs are made of grass and that buildings have no insulation or thickness is crazy. So when did villages start to become recognizable to today's standards?
Age of Colonialism?
Age of Imperialism?
>>
>>589029
Good bait, I almost feel bad calling it so early
>>
>>589029
A think layer of grass would act as insulation though (trapping air), not as effective obviously.

Lack of comfy thread?
>>
>>589046
Based mammoth bone huts from Ice age Ukraine.
>>
>>589029
Good show. but it annoyed the fuck out of me that Uhtred always wore some retarded fur jerkin rather than chainmail. actually so much fucking fur and leather in this show.
>>
>>589054
How would you be able to tell that they're larping if they didn't?
>>
>>589029
What show is this?

Last tv show I've seen was fringe and that manyyyy years ago.. what did I lost?
>>
>>589042
what the fuck? legit questions are considered bait? what are you some sort of architectural design historian
>>589046
no thanks I'd rather have a proper timber roof or Mediterranean style tiles. imagine the things living in a thatch roof not to mention the dust
>>589054
or why Vikings don't have horned helmets XD
>>
>>589059
The last kingdom. set in the danes invading 'England' era, based of books by bernard cornwell. Has mistakes like all historical shows though.
>>
>>589059
>>589071
I'd give it a 9/10. The actors all do great jobs and it kept me up to 2am watching it all this week if that's a measure of quality. I'm not a historical expert on the era, but there's nothing striking out of place.
>>
Actually mud brick is surprisingly adaptive. You'll find that rooms with adobe walls are the warmest in the winter and the coolest in the summer.
>>
File: Huntsman-spider.jpg (67 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
Huntsman-spider.jpg
67 KB, 700x525
>>589070
>imagine the things living in a thatch roof

>tfw i'm Australian and have had red-back spiders, snakes and larger than pic related in my modern house.
>>
>>589029
Give it the high middle ages. Maybe somewhat before.

Wattle and Daub + timber framing is basically the same as modern drywall construction in the barest sense of the principle.
>>
>>589096
South of the equator is where all the creepiest crawlers are found. There probably aren't many things that big outside of a tropical or desert climate.
>>
>>589096
>>589153
yurop Anglo America and New Zealand are fine
>>
File: Eastern brown range.jpg (5 KB, 289x174) Image search: [Google]
Eastern brown range.jpg
5 KB, 289x174
>>589153
For Australia there are plenty in the eastern coastal cities where the majority of the population resides (i'm the anon you replied to and I'm from Brisbane). Only Crocs are restricted to the far north really. pic related is the range of the second most venomous snake in the world. Had a mate watch one being removed from a train station in the city last week.
>>
>>589029

>grass and straw make bad roofs
>people didnt know about insulation
>wood isnt a good insulator
>that fucking show
>OP is a faggot

cant resist bait so obvious, just cant
>>
>>589071
It gets a lot of events right such as the death of King Edmund of East Anglia. But the design is highly stylised.

On the other hand, BRIGANDINE! :D
>>
File: image.png (553 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
image.png
553 KB, 400x600
>>589196
Oh so why don't mum and dad have a thatch roof right now?
>actually saying they would prefer something filthy, dusty, prone to infestations
>yea anon you never see people wearing heavier coats in wintertime until the 20th century!
>wood isn't cleaner and more tidy
>I love wind blowing through the cracks in my raggedy wood shack
>successful tv show sucks because King Alfred takes a shit one morning that he didn't IRL so the show is literally shit
>didn't get jerked by mum and dad tonight >:(

Im sure your superior intelligence and medieval knowledge are letting you live life with the most fulfillment
>>
>>589196
mate if you're looking for a sign to kill your self this is it
>>
>>589204
>BRIGANDINE
CENTURIES TOO EARLY!
This is abad thing.

You want metal armor? Chain.

You want something else? Gambeson.

You don't want either? You get nothing.
>>
Oh great, another "Vikings" clone.
>>
>>589079
Not so good in rainy countries
>>
>>589463
I thought it was more like low budget historical game of thrones.
>>
>>589478
And I did like it
>>
>>589463

Not at all. It is based on a set of novels by a bretty gud writer of historical fiction that were written long before Vikings was ever made.

It's decent. I'm not quite as enthusiaatic as OP or a couple of other people in this thread but I would give it 7 or 8/10.
>>
File: house.jpg (645 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
house.jpg
645 KB, 800x600
During Ottoman times there were no advancements of architecture or civil building techniques on the Balkans. This means that by looking at 18th century houses, we can reasonably imagine how houses would have looked like in the 12th century Balkan Peninsula, and from there relate how they'd look around Europe, in non urbanized areas.

I'll post a couple of images from a village that never had more than 150 people population.
>>
File: house2.jpg (561 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
house2.jpg
561 KB, 800x600
>>589488
Basically you make a skeleton out of heavy timber, and fill in the gaps with stone or sun baked brick on the lower floor, and fill them in with wicker panels on the top floor.
The roof would be planks, and on top of them seated whatever you call flat bricks in english. Roof tiles?
>>
>>589257
My dads million dollar summerhouse has thatched roofs. Why do people not use it? It's expensive, and it requires more upkeep if not done right.
Thatched roofs are totally still being done though.
>>
File: house3.jpg (563 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
house3.jpg
563 KB, 800x600
>>589490
The whole thing would be finished with a plaster of clay on the outside, and thats the only part you really have to repair once a year or so to have your house look nice. Even without repairing it for nearly a century most of those are in okay condition.
On the inside they'd have white plaster, I imagine mixed with quicklime, with some decorative drawings on it.

Typically you'd live on the upper floor, and you'd have a storage place or kitchen on the lower floor, and you'd have the animal and storage buildings placed around the house in such a way as to create a small yard covered from wind on at least 2-3 sides, or completely encircled by your buildings, to keep prying eyes away.

Thats the Balkan style, at least.
>>
>>589494
Based thatch roof
>>
>>589490
They're called slates.
>>
File: 1IMG_0087(1)[1].jpg (613 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1IMG_0087(1)[1].jpg
613 KB, 800x600
>>589495
This is where the last guy in the village used to live, before he died several years ago at the age of 95.
Lived for years as the only person for tens of kilometers around, only eating his garden produce and drinking his home made alcohol. I wonder how he felt about life.

Anyway, the roofing is visible, this is what historians think was used on the Balkans for most of the middle ages.
>>
File: Margeret_Thatcher.png (699 KB, 1132x307) Image search: [Google]
Margeret_Thatcher.png
699 KB, 1132x307
>>589497
>there are people right now that prefer tiles to thatch
>>
File: 1IMG_0152(2)[1].jpg (541 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1IMG_0152(2)[1].jpg
541 KB, 800x600
>>589477
Its perfectly fine in rainy countries, you only have to replace the outside plaster once a year or even once every few years.
You have roofs covering more area than the walls circle, so the rain has to fall at a particular angle to hit the walls hard, and even then clay mud mixed with dry grass is pretty solid.

These houses dont just dissolve in water like some people seem to think.
>>
File: 1IMG_0149(1)[1].jpg (559 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1IMG_0149(1)[1].jpg
559 KB, 800x600
>>589477
>>589544
Wall with the plaster fallen off. This is the worst heavy rain could do, and this particular house has been left untouched for decades to get to this state. It starts having grass grow inside it before it falls apart.
>>
>>589528

maybe they don't think dying in an inferno because a crow dropped a cig on their roof is a good way to go
>>
>>589648
fuck you.
>>
>>589676
>Dying from the plague in a city is better than fire risk.
>>
>>589257
>Oh so why don't mum and dad have a thatch roof right now?
Lots of modern houses have thatched roofs. It's much better for insulation than you seem to be giving it credit for
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.