[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Were the Romans justified in taking Jesus as a rebel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Jesus13.jpg (84 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Jesus13.jpg
84 KB, 800x600
Were the Romans justified in taking Jesus as a rebel?
>>
>>588999

Who knows.

We don't have any decent historical sources detailing what happened.
>>
>>589009
This.

>>588999
Ask your question as a proper theological question.
>>
>>589010
How do I do that?
>>
>>589015
Pick one of the four texts, find the passage, determine how the Romans approached the Jesus character. Take a theological position, make an argument regarding justification, invite counter positions and disputation.
>>
Yes. He was a political figure and his politics were being against the establishment.
>>
>>588999

I would recommend this book if you're interested in the subject.

http://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Judaea-Hyam-Maccoby/dp/080086784X
>>
>>588999
>rabble-rouser carpenter talking shit about being rich
>pontius pilate has a lot on his pontius plate

he made trouble and got put down

t. Caiaphas
>>
>>588999
It wasn't so much that they took him in because he was a rebel, but he was inflaming tensions with establishment Jewish groups with his preaching and antics.

I mean, if a guy is going around the Temple of Solomon declaring everyone there is a terrible person, that's going to make a lot of people angry. Even if that guy dies on a cross for em later.
>>
>>589115

Don't forget, that he's inflaming (or is perhaps symptomatic of) already existing tensions between the Pharisees and the Sadducees. And the trial before Ciaphas mentioned in the Gospels, if it has any validity at all, sounds a lot like a kangaroo court drummed up by a Sadducee inner circle rather than a proper meeting of the Sanhedrin; which is probably why they tried to palm off the actual execution to the Romans rather than doing it themselves.
>>
>>589140
Oh yeah, the Romans were barely keeping the province together.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.