[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone listen to this podcast? I'm on the Punic Wars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: cover170x170[1].jpg (10 KB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
cover170x170[1].jpg
10 KB, 170x170
Does anyone listen to this podcast? I'm on the Punic Wars episodes. It's actually pretty enjoyable.

I never studied rome though so I don't know how accurate it is. He claims to provide a historian consensus on Rome, but often takes time to present conflicting accounts.

Any thoughts?
>>
Fucking shills!
>>
File: 1453264591460.jpg (51 KB, 475x356) Image search: [Google]
1453264591460.jpg
51 KB, 475x356
>>583923
At least the shills are shilling for something good this time.
>>
I'm not a shill. Just a guy that enjoys a podcast. I'll say something fucked up to prove im not a shill
>>
I love it, he has one on the byzantine empire as well since he finished this
>>
I've always liked Mike's style and his thoroughness. I think THoR is a great podcast, especially the episodes on the Late Republic.
>>
>>584051
No, that's another guy. Mike's doing Revolutions now. Currently on the Haitian Revolution which is more interesting than I've thought it would be mainly because almost everyone involved is either a.) really fucking stupid or b.) literally insane.
>>
I've been listening to it while I work and yea it's quite enjoyable. Just ended the Second Punic War.

Top tier podcast.
>>
>>583912
He is a fag. He jewed out a lot of idiots on his over expensive bullshit tours though so good for him.

I prefer the Byzantine guy over him.

t. PhD fag on Late Antique Rome
>>
>>583912
It's a good overview obviously cannot be as in depth as literature can be
>>584317
I am much more familiar with early antiquity and I'm curious how accurate was his portrayal of the end of the severans to Constantine
>>
>>583912
Oh dude it only gets better.
>Those crisis of the 3rd century episodes
>>
>>584352
Easily the best episodes
>>
>>584326
Sorry for the late response but I would say the Byzantine guy is does his research far more than him I would say Byzantine podcast episodes have far better material.

His Constantine etc era is meh, I just wish the Byzantine guy done it instead of him.
>>
>>584364
Totally under-rated historical setting.
>>
Is it on youtube what's the name of the channel I cant find it.
>>
>>584440
It's a podcast retard.
Try iTunes or podbay
>>
>>584407
Yeah I am actually listening to byzantine empire right now and what definitely enjoy is your get a much better sense of society as a whole and it doesn't feel like the story of Roman emporers as much
>>
>>585342
I looked at the byzantine guy and was put off by random episodes not being free. Did not like the idea of going through a history or story and then having the next part held off from me for money.
>>
Best rome podcast?

I just finished Hardcore History and I kinda really want more, and more in depth.
>>
>>583912

History of Rome is great

Revolutions is enjoyable, however I find he stretches certain discussions to the point where he could have summed it up into 3 or 4 sentences.

Duncan is a workhorse though; researching, writing, editing and recording 35-45 min episodes every week is a lot of work. He doesn't take month long breaks like Carlin and posts quality episodes on time each week.

After following him on Twitter though, I am starting to get annoyed. Not at him but at the people who slurp him on every post. I get the feeling a lot of his fans are the washed out political science graduates who never found meaningful work and feel the need to piggy back on his project for some sort of validation.
>>
>>583912
I listened to the whole thing last year, had a pretty fucking good time with it.

Revolutions is fun aswell.
>>
>>586062
This.
Both "The History of Rome" and "The History of Byzantium" are good quality podcasts and I highly recommend both. Wait until Rome is done before you start Byzantium though, as Robin, the host of Byzantium pics up right where Mike leaves off.

Others I recommend are The British History Podcast, The History of English podcast (These are great to swap back and forth between when their time periods begin to converge), Talking History: The Italian Unification, The History of Oil and because I'm the biggest nerd I know; More or Less. It's a podcast from the BBC that analyzes statistics from the news, politics and culture.
>>
>>585799
Honestly it never bothered me I will gladly pay for something that I enjoy and provides that many hours of entertainment. Hell it's cheaper than a movie ticket and I enjoy it a lot more. I would rather pay than it go away after Justinian.
>>
>>585825
Yeah I don't know of a better one maybe Byzantium but that depends on what areas of history interest you.
>>
>>585799
>Did not like the idea of going through a history or story and then having the next part held off from me for money.
so you just expect the content creator to just make shit for you without any compensation? Do you get pissed when you have to buy a book?
>>
>>584066
I really enjoyed the late rebulic era.
Anyone know of any good books on the Roman revolution, particularly the era leading up to the Caesars.
>>
Any podcasts with the same production quality as Hardcore History?
>>
Podcast Power Rankings:

God: Actual non-pop books
Top: In Our Time, History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
Good: History of Rome, History of Byzantium
Shit: "Real"CrusadeHistory
>>
>>587111
>Shit: "Real"CrusadeHistory

Wait, there's a podcast? I looked that stuff up on youtube and couldn't stand more than a few minutes of each video because of how he talks.
>>
>>586228
>>586271
Charging is fine. But don't give me something free then later charge once I'm hooked.
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 600x800
>>584115

This is exactly how I feel. I actually paused Revolutions after the French one but this Haitian revolution is shaping up pretty damn interesting.

That and History of Byzantium are the only Podcasts in my feed.

As for Rome, its brilliant, but the bulk of the episodes cover the political machinations of the later Emperors. The later in the Empire it goes, the more time he needs to weave through a subject. The same happened with the French revolution - God i'm glad that one is over.
>>
>>584440

Google Mike Duncan's History of Rome.
>>
He's okay. I prefer pirated Modern Scholar lectures though.
>>
>>587995
I feel like I remember a handful of factual errors in their Roman history lecture series. Some things about Caesar and saying that Diocletian "founded" Constantinople, not Constantine...
But on thread topic I do like Mike Duncan's podcasts
>>
>>583912

yes

but why does that faggot go off into diatribes about his personal life?

keep it out!
>>
>>587963
The French Revolution was a case of being maybe overambitious. He probably could've stopped at the Thermidorian Reaction and then give a brief high speed episode covering Napoleon.

He's still the best guy I've heard in terms of style, voice, etc. There's a lot of others that I can't get into because I find the delivery of the material bad. The British History Podcast is one I've tried a half-dozen times to get into and I just can't do it.
>>
>>588391

lol what? Got any examples?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.