[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is religion philosophical suicide?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: camus.jpg (908 KB, 1180x1500) Image search: [Google]
camus.jpg
908 KB, 1180x1500
Is religion philosophical suicide?
>>
No, religion is an answer that philosophy can't give us. Religion is for people who are tired to endlessly play with concepts.
>>
>>582880
>Religion is for people who are tired to endlessly play with concepts.

That's what philosophical suicide means.
>>
>>582873
religion is an umbrella term
>>
>>582888
>religion is an umbrella term

For the abandonment of reason, hence philosophical suicide.
>>
Abrahamic religion is
>>
>>582892
Philosophy won't lead us to Truth, when religion can.
>>
>>582892
Is logical positivism the only true philosophy then?
>>
>>582899

That's abandonment of reason for you right there. Where's the rationale or reasoning behind decinding your religion is 'the truth'.

>>582900

Who said anything about logical positivism, other than you?
>>
W-...T-... That's the definition of Philosophical Suicide... I think you may need to read some Camus... you clearly don't understand the concept.
>>
>>582931

I don't know who you think you are talking to. There are almost as many posters in this thread as there are posts.
>>
>>582920
>Where's the rationale or reasoning behind decinding your religion is 'the truth'.
Miracles, look it up.
>>
>>582958

And UFO abductions have 'eyewitness reports' to back them up

Give me a fucking break. Are your 'miracles' even defined consistently as a concept at all, or will 'anything that looked funny' do?
>>
>>582958

You know magic is another name for miracles, right?

It is also an enormous leap from any given purported miracle to claiming any given supernatural event (and let's charitably pretend they have been confirmed to exist) proves the truth claim of any given religion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXqBg1Uirbo
>>
>camoo
In le trash.
>>
>>582963
>>582974
Ignore him, it's the guy who shills eucharistic miracles and fatima every single week
>>
I used to be an atheist and I converted to Crhistianty. And to be perfectly honest, it is. You can still discuss most issues and you'll be as good as you were before at debating but you'll become close minded on most issues. For some reason, I can't accept the fact that there are gays and that people should be allowed to do weed despite nothing of this making any logical sense. I guess it's part of growing up and becoming a working slave, erm, member, of society.
>>
>>582873

No.
>>
File: you.jpg (38 KB, 400x339) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
38 KB, 400x339
>>583340
>>
>>583300
>you need to lobotomize yourself to worship the divine

God what a sad, impoverished faith you follow. God is never supposed to be a chore or something you settle for. Any one who sacrifices something essential to reality to love reality is lost . If your reason gets in the way of your faith you're doing both wrong
>>
>>583909
>God what a sad

This is blasphemy, burn this man.
>>
>>582873

Of course it is, it's the definition Camus gave us to the term he invented himself.
>>
File: Religion threads.png (137 KB, 1010x274) Image search: [Google]
Religion threads.png
137 KB, 1010x274
>>582873
>>
>>582873
God Camus is a retard.
>>
>>584024
he's right tho
>>
File: just an allegory bro.jpg (107 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
just an allegory bro.jpg
107 KB, 960x540
>>584021
>WOAH WOAH IT WAS JUST AN ALLEGORY
>>
No. Religion is the completion of what philosophy apart from religion can only, at the absolute best, long for.

Philosophy, like all other human things, is most itself when it is ordered toward God and completed by faith.
>>
>>584054
>religion describes:
>the human condition in allegorical, metaphorical, and symbolic language
>just a bunch of retarded shit meant to be taken literally lmfao I LOVE SCIENCE

Fuck off you anti-intellectual mental midget
>>
>>584021
tell that to all the billions of people who don't take it as allegorical
>>
>>584581
>implying I haven't already
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.