[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has history vindicated him yet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: mccarthy.jpg (55 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
mccarthy.jpg
55 KB, 852x480
Has history vindicated him yet?
>>
>>58264
lol no, the opposite.
>>
>>58264
Without a doubt, McCarthy himself probably didn't even comprehend the extent of soviet infiltration.
>>
File: 1432112536615.png (8 KB, 297x449) Image search: [Google]
1432112536615.png
8 KB, 297x449
>>58264
yes. Based Yuri revealed a lot of things to us.
>>
>>58300
yeah it really sucks how the soviet union took over the world and how we lost the cold war, if only mccarthy did more then this horrible reality could have been prevented
>>
>>58264

Nope

His dumb stunts and grandstanding are why the "red scare" is a fucking joke. He did more harm to his cause than helped it.
>>
They did take over the world, the parasites running the soviet union just moved onto a different host.
>>
>>58264
no, declassified soviet documents have shown that his methods allowed them to easily place red herrings while the actual agents remained under the radar. The only major spy he was able to catch were the Rosenbergs and even then that was basically a fluke. Other than that the NKVD suffered no real setbacks from HUAC.
>>
>>58264
No. In fact, if there was actually any legitimate Soviet infiltration in the US, he didn't uncover it. But him being a buffoon made it so people laugh at the concept of a "Red Scare."
>>
Pete Rose reinstated? Fuck this faggot get back to r9k
>>
he will forever be ridiculed along with the fear of communist subversion which is a shame because it actually was going on.
>>
>>58308
Is there are any proof this guy was actually who he said he was? Like, did he actually provide any official Soviet documents supporting his claims or was it all just some bullshit he said in a John Birch Society-produced documentary once?
>>
>>58264
Every single person he accused of being a communist was a communist.
The fact that he is still lied about so much today is insane.
>>
The lack of evidence in this thread is overwhelming.

Please, someone - anyone - post a fucking link.
>>
>>58264
>vindicated
History doesn't engage in moral judgements, it is about "is," not "ought."
>>
File: Senator Joseph McCarthy.jpg (89 KB, 1461x1455) Image search: [Google]
Senator Joseph McCarthy.jpg
89 KB, 1461x1455
>>58264
He was a Good Christian Man who fought for what was right and was smeared by the very forces in government he warned about.

His downfall was the proof he was right.
>>
>>59067

I think he worked for the KGB
>>
>>59342
Yes, I know that. I'm asking if there's any actual proof that he is who/what he claims to be.
>>
>>59053
there's a right way and a wrong way to do things, he quite clearly fell into the latter
>>
>>59219
since when is being a communist a crime?
>>
>>59384
Id say his accounts are evidence enough. Its clear at a certain point hes speaking from actual experience.
>>
>>58264
With the information from project Venona declassified along with access to Soviet documents it seems so. There was definite justification for investigations, spies like Hiss, Chambers, and White prove that, but the seeming witch hunt method of HUAC is a bit harder to justify.

>>59411
June 29 1940 when the Smith Alien Registration Act was enacted.
>>
>>59777
>but the seeming witch hunt method of HUAC is a bit harder to justify.

The HUAC will be the focal point of his legacy in the senate and why he won't be "vindicated". Even in this thread nobody is making the claim his accusations that there were soviet spies infiltrating the US domestically but his methods did overall more harm than good dealing with those threats.
>>
>>60295

*there were not
>>
>>59314
/pol/ logic, everyone.

>inb4 gb2reddit
>inb4 jew

Shut the fuck up, faggot. I hate commie dicksucks.
>>
>>59411
>June 29 1940 when the Smith Alien Registration Act was enacted.
>>59777

Fucking rekt
>>
>>59067
he was a KGB informant, not an officer or anything

his importance is greatly exaggerated by the American Right looking for a reason to oppose feminism etc

he is probably right to say that the Russians would have encouraged political discord in the USA, but that is hardly a surprising discovery
>>
>>58264
Not really in fact he wound up looking even worse given the actions of his assistant Khun who was a legitimately corrupt homosexual.

The Soviets were definitely going after the US however the list he boasted of never existed and at best he managed to ruin the careers of a few left wing actors and academics rather than uncover any spies within the government.
>>
>>59777
>but the seeming witch hunt method of HUAC is a bit harder to justify.
>>60295
>The HUAC will be the focal point of his legacy in the senate

protip: the HUAC was a committee in the House of Representatives, not the Senate. He was never part of the HUAC although its a very common misconception.

When he was censured by the senate even his own party was split in their voting on him and are why it passed successfully.
>>
>>60411
>>59067
I don't think there's any evidence, but most of what he says isn't surprising in the slightest. Though nearly everyone misunderstands what he meant by "useful idiots" though. They seem to think he was just calling everyone vaguely left wing of atilla the hun an idiot.
>>
>>60295
The thing about McCarthy and the HUAC though, is that he was not directly involved, McCarthy was on the senate's version (the PSI). HUAC was much bigger as far as I can tell, just the hollywood stuff alone was the size of PSI in total. But the high profile redscare cases were in HUAC

>>60478
You beat me to correcting myself.
>>
>>60345
>taking the bait like a garden-variety retard

Pack it in, faggot. Back to r/kekold with you.
>>
>>60816
Wanna know how I know you're from >>>/pol/ ?
>>
>>59411
Communism is a crime against humanity and basic human dignity. Everyone knows this.
>>
VENONA has vindicated his belief in Soviet infiltration

Whether his actions were acceptable is another question. The HUAC was quite brutal at times and hurt a lot of innocent people (plus it's unlikely the USSR would ever win or the US would ever be communist, anyway)
>>
>>60890
See, that's our obstacle to studying history. We know how things are going to turn out. The people living through these events didn't.
>>
>>60902

This is, of course, true. The closest modern analog (I'm about to break board rules but idgaf) would be the Patriot Act. If it turns out there are 4000 ISIS sleepers in the US then I guess Georgie Jr. actually had a point. But from the current perspective it seems like overkill to many contemporaries.

Now, in McCarthy's case it should have been clear that the US wouldn't go communist. Beating the USSR was obviously not assured, though, so the question of "was it justified" becomes more of "do ends justify means?"

I'm inclined to say that any action to prevent Stalinism is acceptable.
>>
>>59411
America was locked in a life and death stuggle with the Soviets being a communist in the goverment then would be like a bunch of jihadits working for the pentagon or state department now
>>
No, and he deserves to go down as a villain.
>>
>>60962
>>60902
Kind of blending these two:

During McCarthyism, the communist party USA was quite real with ~100k members and suddenly dropping to <10k. There were real sympathies with communists because there were sympathies with labor in general. That motivated people to spy, they weren't necessarily supporting the USSR, but instead supporting what they saw was a labor movement or the common man in general. When the reality of Stalinism became apparent the party and movement was abandoned, leaving a few thousand Stalinists that McCarthyism was persecuting. Then the USSR itself starts to turn on Stalinism, evident by Kruschev's "secret speech" and the US communist party is now completely alienated from the USSR, and the visible failure of the USSR in Hungary's uprising. I don't think it is a coincidence that McCarthyism ends in 1956, the same time as those two major events and the practical death of CPUSA.

With the parallel in terms of the patriot act and terrorism, terrorist ideology would need to be attractive for the act to be necessary. In the USA it seems to be unnecessary (though this could be cart before the horse), while if you look at ISIS recruits from Britain maybe it is useful there. Not to derail with modern stuff, but does Britain have a similar law (civil contingencies act?).
>>
>>59067
He had an unfortunate "accident' shortly after the interview.
Dissidents merely trash talking the USSR were not assassinated.
>>
I honestly believe almost all communists are dumb and wrong but McCarthyism was one of the most embarrassing practices in the history of the united states
>>
>>60830
Because when my views don't align with yours, it means i'm from /pol/?
>>
>>58264
No, the fact that *some of the people he accused of being communists were in fact communists doesn't alter the fact that he really didn't give a shit who's life he ruined and was in it for himself not the security of the United States. He did permanently tarnished the image of those who genuinely opposed communism. He was no different from left-wingers who scream racist at every turn.
*Important detail his supports leave out
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.