[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>You will never save Europe from the Turkish hordes >You
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 620x330) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 620x330
>You will never save Europe from the Turkish hordes
>You will never be declared the savior of Christianity by the Pope himself
>You will never become the mortal enemy of the Ottoman Turks to the point that they give him a badass nickname
>You will never participate in the largest cavalry charge in history

>You will never get betrayed upon death and have your country is carved up by the "allies" you had sworn to protect

Feels bad desu
>>
How is it that Eastern Europe is populated by these ridiculous circus - tier nationalists?

>Albanians
>every scientist, general, artist etc ever was Albanian
>Hitler himself called Albanians the master race
>we wuz kings of half the ancient world

You can apply the same logic to Serbs, Croats, Bulgarians, Hungarians, almost everyone in the region.
>>
>>582543
When everyone hates everyone else, the dick waving becomes a bit excessive
>>
>>582543
Settle the fuck down.

Also did you really just compare those other groups to Albos?
>>
>>582533
Turks should've saved Europe desu
>>
>>582533
>implying that is not the worst poland could have done

If only ottomans and poles divided europe between themselves.
>>
>>582561
Yeah because all of them tend to indulge in shit like that.

>Albania - WE WUZ ILLYRIANS AND SHIT
>Hungary - WE WUZ ATTILA AND SHIT
>Slovakia - WE WUZ GREAT MORAVIA AND SHIT
>Macedonia - WE WUZ ALEXANDER AND SHIT
>Bosnia - WE WUZ TURKS AND SHIT
>Romania - WE WUZ ROMANS AND SHIT

Combine that with how all of them tend to claim their grandfathers served in the SS which makes them the master race and how they're on a crusade to restore Greater [insert country] and you end up with a legit clown show.
>>
>WE SAVED EUROPE N SHIT
>>
>>582533
>austria would be destroyed by ottomans if no one helped them
>gets the most clay
explain this.
>>
>>582587
Hapsburgs are born and bred to be the ultimate backstabbing traitors.
>>
>>582533
When will the "Vienna 1683" meme die?

Europe may have been threatened by the turks during the first siege in the early 16th century, but in the second half of the 17th the turks were no real threat anymore.

Noone of the big powers -England, France, Spain, Netherlands- would have given a single fuck if Vienna fell. In fact, France did all they could to aid the ottomans to keep austria out of the real wars being fought by the big boys at the same time
>>
>>582619

Spain was the clossest Austrian ally.
They did care about Vienna.
>>
>>582579
desu us Macedonians are pretty passive about these things, no one's that vitriolic unless an outsider starts shitting on us
>>
File: portrait of pepe as a child.jpg (76 KB, 460x628) Image search: [Google]
portrait of pepe as a child.jpg
76 KB, 460x628
>>582619
It's a symbolic victory of the West over the Turks
On that note
>tfw you will never see a Vienna 1683 film
>>
>>582676
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChdGe2YxVmA

Its pretty bad though.
>>
>>582543
Oh the shittier the country the more proud people are of it.
Even in America the most patriotic stares in the south and are the shittest states
I think it's because if you got nothing you gravitate towards nationalism
>>
>>582694
I'll watch it later, but just tell me this.
Is there a bad ass winged hussar charge?
>>
>>582700
Yep, based Jan saving the day.
>>
>>582676
I would agree with something like Lep<nto being an important symbolic victory over the Turk; but in the1680ths it was just one battle in one of many turkish wars.
>>
>>582710
If Lepanto was the symbolic denial of access to the Mediterranean to the turks then 1683 is the denial of Western Europe
>>
>>582723
The denial of Western Europe was in 1529. It was clear then that the Ottomans couldnt push farther then Hungary- and they didnt try again for over 100 years and this despite being at the height of power.
Since then austria became a real power and the turks only grew weaker (okay, in the 17th century at least)
>>
>>582579

As a bulgarian i can totaly agree with you. The poorer and dumber the people are the more nacionalistic they are because nothing else is there to be pround of. What really pathentic is, that actually the balkan nations think that they used to be relevent and build up the modern world.. somehow and now every one owe them something.
>>
>>582759
>1529

That's false. Suleymans siege weapons got stuck in bad weather and he had to retreat for the winter. Then they got lazy and took their time to try again because they never saw Austria or anyone else from western Europe as a real threat. Then the wealth of the Americas started flowing in and in their comfort the Ottomans suddenly found themselves in a big disadvantage. 1683 was just a "oh shit we really should have taken Vienna by now" desperation move.
>>
>>582843
I would say that Bulgaria was relevant in the past; they used to control most of southeastern europe and were the foremost foes of the Byzantines for some time.
They were also pretty badass in the Balkan Wars and WW 1
>>
>>582865
I dont thing much of the wealth of the americas flew to austria
>>
>>582871
Not austria specifically maybe but it did to western merchants. The Ottoman economy was pretty much fucked at 1683 because European merchants could always outbid the Ottoman merchants.

This video explains it nicely if you're actually interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-SUlb4rwls

Anyway my point is that in 1529 the Ottomans saw themselves as superior to Europe and didn't see them as a real threat. That is why they took their time for a second siege. Not because they were badly defeated in 1529 or anything.
>>
>>582619
You're wrong.

Turkey may have not been the threat it was in 16th century, but when the Sultan was able to consolidate enough power to rule janissaries(not the other way round) it was still enormously powerful country when compared to majority of Europe. I mean think of it - majority of Europe didn't have standing army and if they did, it was quite small. Mercenaries still played big role, a lot of people were just drafted when the war began etc. etc. This is why the outdated artillery is often cited as the thing Ottomans tried to reform first.
Janissaries may have been unruly, use outdated tactics etc. but they were well enough trained and disciplined to be able to overwhelm typical standing army pre-18th century European countries have had given their quantity. Then there were also drafted armies Ottomans could build themselves and while they were pure fucking shit when compared to any army European powers had(it was basically a mob), they were still good enough to hold siege etc. If Janissaries were able to cripple/destroy standing army first and the entire ottoman army would get control of important communication lines, huge towns/cities then they would be able to stop army-building process and likely win the war. Those things tended to be protected by forts so having modern siege artillery was a matter of life or death for the Ottoman empire.
The strategy was obviously worth shit if fighting against countries like Commonwealth or Russia but for Austria it was a dangerous thing.

>>582871
The sea routes towards indies crippled ottoman's economy while the wealth coming down from Americas eventually dripped down on every country, even the ones that didn't had colonies. Only the countries focused on trading with ottomans to import eastern goods like Venice haven't profited from these processes too much.
>>
>>582911
>it was still enormously powerful country when compared to majority of Europe.

Not compared to France or England or Sweden or the United Neitherlands.
During the Nine Years' War the lrgest field armies had grown to nearly 100,000 men. And I daresay they were of a lot better quality then turkish armies.
The fact, that these massive turkish armies were actually defeated by second rank (by that time) powers like Poland-Lithuania, Austria or Russia says enough.
>>
>>582969
You're pretending like fighting Poland-Lithuania, Austria, Russia and others at the same time is something easy.
>>
>>582543
>>582696
basically this.Same thing. there is an inverse relationship between national pride and a countries actual achievement
>>
>>582533
from the picture and post I thought you were talking about Hulagu Khan
>>
>>582696
>>583193

The most nationalist state in western Europe is France tho
>>
>>583366
None of them are any less nationalist.

Norway, Holland, Germany (minus 20s-50s), Britain, France, Spain etc etc; All have pride in their people, their history and their accomplishments.

It's just that for the Balkans 2016 doesn't reflect on any great, past time, which delegitimizes any pride (or nationalism, to be specific,) that they may have.

Which isn't necessarily right imo.
>>
>>582676

You can just watch the charge of the Rohirrim in Return of the King

>Orcs=Ottomans
>Minas Tirith=Viena
>Rohan=Poland
>>
Get the fuck out of the way Pole shits, real bane of the turks coming through.
>>
>>584060
Is that my nigga prince eugene of savoy?

brofist for good taste m8
>>
>muh defender of christianity

I love how poles try to market themselves as defenders of europe while ignoring the fact they were in bed with the turks for about 300 years against Russian aggression.

Turks and poles were allies for most of the modern history.
>>
>>584240
This. Poles came in at the very end, previously having an eternal peace with the Ottomans.
Hungarians and Austrians dealt with the brunt of it.
>>
>>584060
How the fuck did he so consistently smack the shit out of the Turks?
>>
>>584240
>against Russian aggression.
I think its pretty good reason, mate :^)
>>
File: russian-turkish wars.png (44 KB, 617x515) Image search: [Google]
russian-turkish wars.png
44 KB, 617x515
Amateurs.
>>
>>584240

Interesting that you conveniently ignore Varna where the Polish king lost his life fighting the Turks. But hey, anything to push that butthurt agenda amirite.
>>
>>586473
>Crimean War
>Italy

WTH?. Thats like saying Germany won the Napoleonic War.
>>
File: 1877.png (32 KB, 290x911) Image search: [Google]
1877.png
32 KB, 290x911
>>586473
I like how it says ottoman, british, frech and italian victory in crimea but not russian, romanian, bulgarian, serbian victory in 1877.
>>
>>586488
>1 battle when Ottocucks when they were not even at their prime for about a century
vs
>300 years of alliance with the turks

Nothing related to butthurt, but you should be honest with your history. Turks and Poles did fight one another but for most of the time they were allies. Nothing wrong with any of them, what is wrong is that you using only one battle to hide centuries of friendly relations, portraying yourself as if you were the major antagonists aganist turks.
>>
File: rkconstantineXI.jpg (50 KB, 298x393) Image search: [Google]
rkconstantineXI.jpg
50 KB, 298x393
>>584378
>Hungarians and Austrians dealt with the brunt of it.
Fuck you, I still don't even got all my clay back.
>>
File: balkan.png (67 KB, 1809x296) Image search: [Google]
balkan.png
67 KB, 1809x296
>>583193
>>
>>587522
The only Balkan country that really has a "greater" is Greece but 95% of the land is covered in Turks now.

All the other countries have basically always been small shitters for most of their existence.
>>
>>582579
what the fuck does attila has to do with hungary
>>
>>587549
>Hun
We wuz Huns and SHEEEIIT
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.