[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can art be saved?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: diamond-skull-print-l-d.png (697 KB, 570x768) Image search: [Google]
diamond-skull-print-l-d.png
697 KB, 570x768
Can art be saved?
>>
>>576307
Art doesn't need saving.

Modern art is quite nice. Don't like it? Then enjoy other kinds of art that's still being made.
>>
File: Júlia Végh.jpg (184 KB, 1280x915) Image search: [Google]
Júlia Végh.jpg
184 KB, 1280x915
How are we archiving art? I really like contemporary art but mostly they go unnoticed on the internet. Shit i see in museums alway suck or are edgy.
>>
File: s7lO2Sl.jpg (36 KB, 400x567) Image search: [Google]
s7lO2Sl.jpg
36 KB, 400x567
>>576307
Why do you think it needs saving, mi familia?
You're sounding like a defener.

Where you born in le wrong generation, op?
>>
File: spengler21.jpg (115 KB, 397x600) Image search: [Google]
spengler21.jpg
115 KB, 397x600
Art is over. Our civilisation stopped being capable of producing art over a century ago. What is called "art" today is a sad parody maintained alive artificially by an entire industry of frauds merely imitating 19th century attitudes of "connoisseurs", "collectors", "patrons", or "artists" in order to make money on the collective self-delusion of the West.

But Western art is dead, and it's perfectly normal, just like how the Romans didn't produce any relevant art. We have simply passed the stage of inner self-expression. Ours is the time of engineers and statesmen, not artists.
>>
>>576386

this desu senpai

i hate people who say music isn't as good these days, for instance. Really? Really!?
Have you looked hard enough? Because there's millions of more music producers today than there were 40 years ago. Are you telling me none of those are producing the kind of music you like?
>>
>>576463

t. le 4channer
>>
File: 13e7ab8cf32a9a0a.jpg (27 KB, 495x495) Image search: [Google]
13e7ab8cf32a9a0a.jpg
27 KB, 495x495
>>576463
>just like how the Romans didn't produce any relevant art.
>>
>>576473
>implying they did
>>
>>576463
Hank?
>>
>>576386
>well rounded and informed human being
and
>>576463
>autist
>>
>>576463
Sure, but I disagree about the last phrase.
>>
>>576418

There isn't a "go-to" wiki for art, but most modern art works are online in some form.

Sounds like what you're looking for is populist art. Most works hung in museum galleries are critiqued by those well-versed in the history, techniques, and context of art.
>>
>>576433
Most aspects of contemporary life are better than past life, but that does not mean every single aspect is better or that there are no problems. For example, people care more about the environment now than they did in the past, which is a good thing, but the actual extinction rate is much higher now than it has been throughout most of history, which is a bad thing. To say that you shouldn't care abut the extinction rate because life in the past was generally worse and therefore there are no current problems would be ridiculous. The decline of art is a similar though less urgent problem that shouldn't be swept under the rug.
>>
>>576466
>>577016
Tempora mutantur my dears. In the 17th century people were complaining that had and Mozart were abandoning baroque polyphony and dumbing down music. People lamented that art was becoming too secular, and titian should stop painting pagan scenes and return to glorifying god. The 19th century was a good time for opera, but a bad era for hiphop. The world will never stop turning, as much as I'd like sonnets to make a comeback.
>>
>>576463
>What is called "art" today is a sad parody maintained alive artificially by an entire industry of frauds merely imitating 19th century attitudes of "connoisseurs", "collectors", "patrons", or "artists" in order to make money on the collective self-delusion of the West.

You didn't even define 'art', you fucking retard
>>
>>577067
>you have to define every word you use

Spot the high school student.
>>
>>576307
>can
>>>/pol/
>>
>>577300
>the meaning of words is not important

Spot the pleb
>>
>>576466
People who say that shit judge "modern music" entirely by mainstream radio and music videos. Music is more diverse than ever before.
>>
>>577828
We actually have access to music in foreign lands that our ancestors would never be able to hear.
>>
>>576307
From what, autists that judge contemporary art based on assumptions they have formed by what little they absorb by osmosis? We have a huge breadth of art to enjoy today; it isn't just some 50 year old hack desperately trying to retain the last shreds of his youthful cachet by wearing fuck ugly fluro streetwear as he hocks 10k photographic prints; and his 60 yo self help seminar rhetoric spouting buddy in NY selling aluminium balloon dogs and second hand store kitsch.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.