[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did the Battle of Poitiers save european culture?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: Steuben_-_Bataille_de_Poitiers.png (3 MB, 1600x1316) Image search: [Google]
Steuben_-_Bataille_de_Poitiers.png
3 MB, 1600x1316
Did the Battle of Poitiers save european culture?
>>
>>573419
Poitiers (732) btw
>>
>battle thread

sage
>>
>>573419

Considering how it was not the first defeat of the Muslims, and that the Muslim presence pass the Pyrennes survived that defeat, I dont think so.

Great propagandistic victory, though.
>>
>>573419
>Westerners trying to downplay The Achievements of the Byzantine empire
>>
There were not much European Culture to save in France in 732 to begin with, tbqhwf.
>>
>>573421
>tours
>>
>>573419
If I had a time machine I'd go back and make the ummayads win.
>>
File: yes.jpg (678 KB, 3192x2124) Image search: [Google]
yes.jpg
678 KB, 3192x2124
>>573884
>>
>>573894
When did gb2reddit become uralefty ?
Also
>Implying the ummayads shouldn't have won
>>
File: and she goes down.png (149 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
and she goes down.png
149 KB, 499x499
>>573903
>>Implying the ummayads shouldn't have won
>>
>>573903
Islam is responsible for the sad state of the middle east today. Islam completely eradicated the roman heritage of the middle east.

It's incredible that countries with absolutely no contact with roman civilization, such as Ireland or Sweden, draw more upon greco-roman heritage than the levant, egypt or fucking anatolia.
>>
>>573915

Its not like winning Poitiers would make the whole Gaul automatically Muslim.
>>
>>573911
>Supporting the ummayads means my hypothetical gf is cheating on me
Thanks for assuming I have a gf, pal.
>>
>>573926
But I'm not using the word "cuck" in its literal sense.
I mean it as "weakling", "object of derision"
>>
File: sauce.png (8 KB, 794x484) Image search: [Google]
sauce.png
8 KB, 794x484
>>573915
>Islam is responsible for the sad state of the middle east today.

>sauce
sauce
>>
>>573419
Why do you think european culture would have died islam is not a monolith every region kept its old customs aside from a few which were too haram. There would just develop a new hybrid islamic French culture.
>>
>>573936
So you want me to be supporting the franks?
>>
Yes.
>>
>>573975
At the battle of Poitiers, yes, since the only reason you can type this out is because they won.
>>
>>573967
By their logic European Culture was already dead since Christianity isn't European despite their denial
>>
File: MFeiTke.gif (1000 KB, 500x322) Image search: [Google]
MFeiTke.gif
1000 KB, 500x322
>>573953

Here's your sauce.
>>
>>573989
I knew you couldn't back it up.
>>
>>573884

why
>>
>>573982
Only because of the butterfly effect. It's not like a frank victory is somehow directly responsible for the invention of the computer and internet down the line.
>>
>>573997
Just to see how history plays out with an enlarged islamic world.
>>
File: file.png (220 KB, 1490x642) Image search: [Google]
file.png
220 KB, 1490x642
>>574005
>>
>>573419

It saved a Christian Western European culture, so yes absolutely.

People shouldn't be so quick to say this battle wasn't a big deal. It's like they don't even know how important the Frankish kingdom was, or what Islam did to the Christian Middle East, Egypt, Anatolia, Greece, etc.

desu
>>
>>573982
>the only reason you can type this out is because the franks won a battle 1200 years ago
What kind of logic did you use to get to that sentence?
>>
>>573936
Ok, how does supporting the ummayads make me a "weakling" or "object of derision"?
>>
>>574017

The Muslims had been defeated before, the Muslims keep being active in Gaul after that.
>>
>>574046
gee anon, it's like history is a series of infinitesimal events linked up together, and disturbing a single one fucks up the whole chain
>>
>>574053
Well, I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that you're of European descent, in which case supporting the Ummayads would be to betray your ancestor's struggle.
If you are indeed Muslim, or just of non-European descent, then you aren't a cuck
>>
>>574017
>Christian Western Europe
So it saved a Semetic Religion from another Semetic Religion? :^)
>>
>>574061
>the Muslims keep being active in Gaul after that

slave raiding on the southern coast from boats doesn't count as a force of 50,000 men and horses marching on Paris.
>>
>>574091

They launch raids to the Alps from their Gaulish holdings.
>>
>>573982
>rooting for someone because they're "white"
Such a concept didn't exist in 732.

>le rabid Muslim meme
I hope you realise that apart from a few nominally "Muslim" drunkard princes in medieval times, this is a relatively new phenomenon.
>>
>>574139
>this is a relatively new phenomenon
>he fell for the "Muslims were peaceful during medieval times until ebil Christians came" meme
As long as there have been religions, there have been extremists.
And you're deluding yourself if you think that the Muslims somehow had less extremists than the Christians had
>>
nope: Lepanto and Vienna saved the white race
>>
File: 1451944447953.jpg (649 KB, 800x1360) Image search: [Google]
1451944447953.jpg
649 KB, 800x1360
>>573419
No, it preserved Europe from Islam. But Christianity isn't any elss foreign to Europe.

Had Islam replaced Christianity we would still have European culture, just more Muslim themed and rather than Christian identity faggots larping as crusaders we would have Muslim identity faggots larping as Jihadis.
>>
>>574150
As long as there have been humans, there have been "extremists". Blaming extremism on religion is laughably myopic. As for me falling for a meme, that's not what I was implying. I was merely highlighting the fact that few "Muslim" rulers that committed abuses generally didn't care about properly practicing the religion themselves, and were usually drunkards.

There is such a thing as Islamic military jurisprudence, and those that break the laws therein cease being Muslim.

>During his life, Muhammad gave various injunctions to his forces and adopted practices toward the conduct of war. The most important of these were summarized by Muhammad's companion and first Caliph, Abu Bakr, in the form of ten rules for the Muslim army:

>"O people! I charge you with ten rules; learn them well!
Stop, O people, that I may give you ten rules for your guidance in the battlefield. Do not commit treachery or deviate from the right path. You must not mutilate dead bodies. Neither kill a child, nor a woman, nor an aged man. Bring no harm to the trees, nor burn them with fire, especially those which are fruitful. Slay not any of the enemy's flock, save for your food. You are likely to pass by people who have devoted their lives to monastic services; leave them alone."
>>
>>574182
>There is such a thing as Islamic military jurisprudence, and those that break the laws therein cease being Muslim.

Except literally the same thing also existed in Christian Europe. Did that change anything about the way Christian war was fought? Not really, and the Islamic equivalent didn't stop war from being war either
>>
>>574232
More effectively so, as you were disowned by God for disobeying these commands.

One would expect to go to Hell.
>>
>>574063
So you're saying >>573982 wants me to support the franks to prevent the butterfly effect changing history, and that's why he claims I would be a cuck otherwise?

So what am I a cuck to in this scenario? The butterfly effect?
>>
>>574070
I'm pretty sure going back 1300 years most people in europe and the middle east would be descended from both sides.
>>
>>573419
No

European culture was already lost when it became Christian
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.