[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would the history of Japan change if the Shogunate won the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: battle-of-nanshan1.jpg (360 KB, 1267x650) Image search: [Google]
battle-of-nanshan1.jpg
360 KB, 1267x650
How would the history of Japan change if the Shogunate won the Boshin War? Did they even have a chance?
>>
>>570036
not much.

Both Shogunate and Imperialists were reform minded.

Maybe Japan ruled by a Junta as opposed to...using the Emperor as a puppet and rule indirectly
>>
>>570036
Japan would still try to industrialize, but would take much longer because of the lessened European/American trade. So they don't become the dominant East Asian power in time for the two world wars, which means no Japanese hegemony in China. What would have happened to China in that scenario is a question more versed in the topic than I am. Anyway Japan would still probably fall to American influence at some point during the Cold War, and if not that, then Soviet influence, so it would basically become another pretty shitty Asian country considering how relatively poor it was.
>>
File: russo-japan-propaganda.jpg (385 KB, 1291x650) Image search: [Google]
russo-japan-propaganda.jpg
385 KB, 1291x650
>>570036
Bump
>>
>>570402
I like how they don't use katanas. But normal cavalry sabers.
>>
>>570057
>>570057
I suppose the question is if the Shogunate would lean more towards the French model of politics (having been supported by the French) or if it would still have been seen as too radical and the German model adopted anyway.
>>
>>570086
Wrong, the Shogun had every intention to pursue modernization; in fact, it was the Shogun who first opened the doors to western trade before the Emperor declared a ban on it. The Boshin War was not a war between pro vs anti-modernization, it was a political struggle to determine who would be top dog in the new Japan.
>>
>>570411
Some artists have no clue what saber swordsmanship was actually and continued to draw scenes where cunts with sabers use them like Katanas.
>>
>>570057
>>570086
>>570414

Well, Emperor Meiji eliminated the Han system and abolished Feudalism hence the Samurai class. Would the Shogun have eliminated the feudal system, even though his whole damn bureaucracy relied on Daimyo and Samurai? Would the Samurai be like the equivalent of Knights in modern day Britain, I.E, just honorary titles with honorary names? The Imperial government had more or less a clean slate.
>>
>>570411
During the Meiji era, Katanas fell out of fashion. The military of Japan adopted all things western: guns, artillery, tactics, command structure, and, of course, swords. The Katana didn't become popular again until the rise of the militarist faction during the 1920's and 30's, when they pushed a lot of traditional aspects and paraphernalia of Japanese culture.
>>
Could they go the whole way, depose the Emperor and establish a Republic?
>>
File: laughing comp.jpg (232 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
laughing comp.jpg
232 KB, 1000x1000
>>570422
>THAT FUCKING PIC
Can you imagine how awkward it would be for a European trying to train and teach nips how to properly use a fucking saber? Holy shit.
>>
>>570427
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: see >>570418
>>
>>570436
No, to the people of Japan during this era, them deposing the Emperor would be as ridiculous and unlikely as the people of the Confederate States of America electing a black president.
>>
>>570437
The Chinese have a sword style that would probably work with saber
>>
>>570437
I think it's pretty cool desu
>>
>>570437
Looking at Japanese saber manuals, they basically just adapted kendo techniques to a one handed weapon. Its no wonder they eventually abandoned the saber and went back to the katana
>>
>>570057
Dude, Meiji government was also a Junta.

All evidence shows that Meiji pretty much remained a puppet and had little to say about the direction in which country was going. An example:he was strongly against going to war against Russia.
>>
File: DSC_0694.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0694.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
I was in Japan recently and bought pic related there, its dated 1894 so probably about the first japanese chinese war (dont know if thats the right term, I just directly translated the german term)
>>
>>571603
>First Sino-Japanese War
how much did it cost?
>>
>>571761
12000 Yen so about 90 €
>>
>>570411
Well, actually, what they did was take a katana style blade and put it on a sabre handle.
>>
>>570411
Why would you 'like' that?

>>572738
'The kyū guntō was used from 1875 until 1934, it closely resembled European and American swords of the time'
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.