[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
History of the decline and fall of the roman empire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 5da.jpg (93 KB, 680x529) Image search: [Google]
5da.jpg
93 KB, 680x529
Should I read a bunch of more modern stuff before jumping into Gibbon's Decline and fall? Should I read it at all? Regardless, are there any other works regarding the fall of Rome that are required reading?
>>
Bumpin.
>>
>>565322
Most modern works are influenced by the decline and fall, so you don't need to. However, it is important to remember that Rome never really "fell", it just sort of faded away sometime in the early middle ages.
>>
rome in its prime was fucking glorious, even the expansion i.e. wars on foreign territory's are fucking awesome. the Punic wars are my favorite
>>
>>565442
>Rome never really "fell",

It fell when it lost control of the city called Rome.
>>
The decline of the roman empire started when it became a roman empire.
>>
>>567246
The empire wasn't so centralized that the loss of even the capital destroyed it. When you're province is weeks of travel from the capital you get to be pretty self-sufficient.
>>
File: inheritance of rome.jpg (26 KB, 226x346) Image search: [Google]
inheritance of rome.jpg
26 KB, 226x346
>>565322
I'm currently reading "The Inheritance of Rome". It"s very well written
>>
>>567246
Not at all, it fell only in 1453
>>
>>567249
Empire > Republic
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.