[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Sea Peoples and the Late Bronze Age Collapse
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (84 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
84 KB, 1280x720
so i've been reading up on this period of time while bored at work a lot recently. it was always something i kind of knew existed but never paid much attention to, and it's really fascinating. but who exactly were the sea people. were they greeks? combination of ethnicities? were the philistines greek? what about the israelites - some kind of combination of hyksos remnants/habiru/shasu/canaanites?

and the mitanni seemed pretty baller
>>
>>792964
We don't know much about them. They seem to have been a various group of raiders, consisted with Sumerians, Philistines, Mycenaeans, Sardinian and other Greek-like populations
>hyksos remnants/habiru/shasu/canaanites?
Hyksos existed only around a thousand years before the raiders showed up, and the sea peoples attacked Canaanites. So, no.
>>
>>792964

>were the philistines greek?

Just going by the Bible, (and I realize the flaws in this methodology) they were probably an Indo-European group of some sort. The few Philistine words that the Bible records are a mix of IE stuff (Goliath) and Semetic stuff (Dagon), and given that by this time they were living right smack dab in the middle of a bunch of semites, it makes more sense for them to originally be of Indo-European stock who picked up a bit of the local languages rather than Semites who would have gotten Indo-European words from somewhere.

That's about all I know offhand though.
>>
>>793006
i thought some of the sea peoples may have been semites though, like the weshesh = tribe of asher? or is that just a bunch of gobbledygook made up by looking at words and saying "that looks right"
>>
>>792964
1177 BC is the comfiest book on this topic
>>
>>793030
Well, there's not a whole lot known about the sea people and yes the Weshesh did join them, but in a later period. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meshwesh

Originally, it appears the sea people migrated from north of the Mediterranean sea until subdued in Egypt. Remember that the raiding took centuries before they finally stopped.
>>
>>793108
>Remember that

Gotta find some new didactic phrases buddy, I saw 5 instances of that phrase here only today.
>>
>>793108
are you implying that the Meshwesh/Libyans are the same thing as the Weshesh of the Sea Peoples? they seem like two different things with coincidentally similar names
>>
>>793115
Fine. Force your brain to acknowledge that the raiding took centuries before they finally stopped

>>793134
click the link.
F-Ctrl, type in 'sea people'.
Read.
Gasp, and have a historical orgasm.
Sweat in embarrassment.
Then reply: Y-y-you know nothing, anon.
>>
>>792964
We're gonna build a wall, and the sea peoples are gonna pay for it!
>>
>>793161
Different guy-I thought the whole point of the Sea peoples was their attacks were unprecedented and unexpected
>>
>>793161
i already read the link. the sea people were raiders from the aegean, the meshwesh were a libyan berber tribe who fought in conjunction with the sea peoples.

that's why i'm asking if you're implying that the meshwesh and the weshesh are the same thing, because that's the first time i've seen that claim made. even the main wiki page for the SP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Peoples doesn't make that link. i don't pretend to have big knowledge on this stuff, hence why i created the thread.
>>
File: flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg (114 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg
114 KB, 1000x1000
>>793176
>I thought the whole point of the Sea peoples was their attacks were unprecedented and unexpected
Uh, that how armies/raiders normally strategize.
The reason why they called 'sea people' because they fought at sea ( although ironically, they fought on land more.)
No one knows why they started raiding.

>>793200
>meshwesh and the weshesh are the same thing...
I-I assumed it was this whole time.
>>
>>793026

>Uses a bunch of desert myths for history.

Goddamn I wish the retarded christfags would leave.
>>
>>793026
Its mention somewhere a group of the sea people settle in a place called Dor. A place which Joshua(?) wrote about philistines inhabitants.
>>
Proto-Vikings, obviously.
>>
>>793006
>Sumerians

I doubt it, sea people attacked from the Mediterranean or by land from the north (Anatolia and came through the Levant) according to Egyptians.

And there is nothing that suggest any connection between sea peoples and Sumerians, neither in any of the names of the different tribes or in the material culture.
>>
They were probably mixture of Mycenaeans and remaining pre Indo European peoples.
>>
>>793353
>not taking full advantage of every ancient text we have
I guess you completely disregard the Illiad too, because it has gods in it? The descriptions of Bronze Age geography and culture is just 100% rubbish to you?
>>
Only legit answer is The Atlantis.
>>
>>792964
>who exactly were the sea peoples?
Syrian refugees
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.