[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm glad there is finally a philosophy board. I will be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: 1441240484911.jpg (49 KB, 700x465) Image search: [Google]
1441240484911.jpg
49 KB, 700x465
I'm glad there is finally a philosophy board. I will be here to talk about the nature of consciousness with you other smartfags soon.
>>
>>56198
What is a man?
>>
File: 2359-2023677491.jpg (118 KB, 471x600) Image search: [Google]
2359-2023677491.jpg
118 KB, 471x600
>>56232
A miserable little pile of secrets.
>>
>>56198
Any recommended readings on the subject by the way? I would be interested but I have no idea where to start.

>>56317
Every time
>>
>>56198
/lit/ has actually been more philosophy than literature for the few years I've been there. I'm not too happy that the long-awaited history board has to also include philosophy threads when /lit/ had been doing that just fine.
>>
>>56377
The Nature of Consciousness -- Philosophical Debates ed. Block, Flanagan & Guzeldore (MIT 1998)
Philosophy of Mind -- Classical and Contemporary Readings ed. Chalmers (OUP, 2002). One third of the book is specifically on consciousness.
The Blackwell Companion to Consciousness ed. Velmans and Schneider (Blackwell, 2007)
Mind and Cognition ed. Lycan and Prinz (Blackwell, 3rd ed, 2008)
Explaining Consciousness--The Hard Problem ed. Schear (MIT 1997) (a set of early essays responding to David Chalmers, including his own paper and a final reply)
>>
File: 1431400445165.jpg (71 KB, 720x656) Image search: [Google]
1431400445165.jpg
71 KB, 720x656
>>56393
Lit philosophy was shit because many lit fags are science retards.

However, /sci/ fags are also often philosophy retards.

It's good for philosophy to finally have an official place that isn't /lit/.
>>
What's the point of anything when determinism removes all meaning from your thoughts and actions.
>>
>>56539
>Lit philosophy was shit because many lit fags are science retards.
what

WHAT

W H A T
H
A
T
>>
>>57045
What do you need meaning for anyways?
Religion and ideologies in general unite just as much as they divide.

Am I missing the point here?
>>
Check out >>57094, OP.
>>
>>57080
Holy shit /pol/tards are right you guys do type like you're from Tumblr.
>>
>>57045
What's the point of anything if meaning is entirely subjective? Action is its own reward.
>>
>>57240
>>57163
But you are only concerned about that because of your genes and past experiences.

I mean why even bother learning about philosophy or pondering questions when the answer is always "because of your genes and past experiences"? Anything that will be will be, and all your thoughts and actions are not your own. They are only reactions to your past and envrionment.
>>
>>57197
>t. poltard pretending not to be poltard
>>
>>56539
Well if there is any consolation from this bullshit, is that retards like you aren't shitposting in /lit/'s philosophy threads
>>
>>57305
>I mean why even bother learning about philosophy or pondering questions
Because it's interesting and the knowledge serves as context for several other disciplines such as history, politics and math.

>the answer is always "because of your genes and past experiences"?
What about this? What's the problem with cause and effect? We can't even know everything so we'll never be able to predict everything for sure.
>>
>>57197
sorry that was my /mu/ speaking desu senpai
>>
>>56198
It's actually just secondary /pol/
>>
File: consciousness.png (111 KB, 953x660) Image search: [Google]
consciousness.png
111 KB, 953x660
Which models are not insane or wrong?
>>
defining consciousness is often detrimental to itself, kinda like trying to do the work of clock hands. it's possible a second is dissimilar for every individual. I think it is integral to admit to all these so called conscious activity. But I think that will eventually take more time because I fear we operate ourselves forcefully out of a window to explore this at a control level. it is hard to imagine a bulkier world in near tranquility for much longer.
>>
>>57305
>scientism
>>
>>58305
Substance Dualism, Cognitivism, Higher Order Theory and Buddhism
>>
>>56377
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>58305
Numbered left to right. top to bottom -

1.insane
2.probable
3.possible
4.quackery.
5.probable
6.probable.
7.insane.
8.probable.
9.possible.
10.faggotry.
11.who knows. maybe.
>>
>>58442
Missed one. Higher order theory (should be 11), isn't insane.
>>
File: homura4.jpg (24 KB, 560x315) Image search: [Google]
homura4.jpg
24 KB, 560x315
>>56198
>smartfag
the fuck did you just call me, nerd?
>>
>>57368
Well, on the other, now you have a devoted set of /lit/izens clogging up the remaining philosophy threads with "OFF TOPIC GO TO /his/".

They won't be missed.
>>
>>58305
Either Functionalism, Behaviorism, or Epiphenomenalism... (The rest of the options are magic hipster nonsense)
>>
>>57045
Quantum mechanics does not leave room for determinism. Nothing is certain.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.