[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>When you realize that west Africans were only able to be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 680x571) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 680x571
>When you realize that west Africans were only able to be enslaved en mass because of the fact that there was no state able to enforce fiat of violence on the ground after the Malian Dark Age

There's a reason why Europe sent less slaves to the Middle East after the dark ages ended.
>>
>>561385
>implying slavery only existed in West Africa

Somalia was one of the biggest slave ports, and richest in Africa, thanks to Muslims bruv
>>
>>561395
They were attacking villages of loosely affiliated Bantu ethnic groups.
>>
>>561385
>When you realize that west Africans were only able to be enslaved en mass because of the fact that there was no state able to enforce fiat of violence on the ground after the Malian Dark Age

Yea some archaeologist said something like this, I'll try to find the video
>>
>>561395
>>561404
As a Somali I don't believe that. Ajuran never exported slaves because it lacked labor in its southern provinces.
>>561404
The Bantu were conquered, that's why they're called Mushengili. No one ever enslaved them
>>
>>561424
found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEtDLBGGQeQ

3:25
>>
>>561457
As an american i don't believe you are a Somali
>>
>>561457
>As a Somali I don't believe that
I seriously doubt you're somali. At least you don't live in somalia.
>>
>>561385

I dunno, Benin told the portuguese to fuck off with their excessive slaving and was able to enforce it

But yeah, Mali really laid down the law

I read that the highland bantu successfully resisted the attacks of both the somali and the nilotic warriors

Then again I'm a Ghanaian so I can't claim east africa is my specialty
>>
>>561468
>>561473
Do you want to see my fivehead?
>To meet the demand for menial labor, black Africans from southeastern Africa captured by Arab slave traders were sold in cumulatively large numbers over the centuries to customers in Egypt, Arabia, the Persian Gulf, India, the Far East, the Indian Ocean islands, Ethiopia and Somalia

Most of the native Bantu were not slaves, and the other ones were bought from the arabs
>>
>>561490
whether you are or aren't isn't the point
we were making fun of you because you think that your heritage makes you inherently right when it comes to historic matters

you might as well have said "girl here..."
>>
>>561457
Like your people didn't enslave our Oromo population and weren't enslaving jareer from Juba down.
>>561473
/mena/ scared off the Somalilander
Everyone else is diaspora.
>>
>>561495
We usually do have more knowledge compared to most of 4chan, I don't agree with somalianon but yeah.
>>
File: 1.jpg (91 KB, 752x588) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
91 KB, 752x588
>>561457
>>
The Mali and Songhai sold slaves. They sold them in exchange for firearms and other finished products from Europe. Really, their closest analogs in history are the gunpowder empires left behind by the Mongols.

It was the collapse of the Atlantic slave trade that left them vulnerable to European conquest. Even so, the areas that were part of the French Empire on the map were not actually part of any French bureaucracy or under French control until the interwar period.

Europe sent fewer slaves to the Middle East because their navies improved.

Plus, if you are resident of a colony, if you are expected to obey laws and pay taxes, but have no vote and receive no welfare, you are a slave. Ending the slave trade didn't grant independence to the enslaved natives of colonies.
>>
>>561385
I'd be willing to bet Malian nobles in the golden age would have been quite happy to sell POWs to Euros if they got guns out of it. Japan afterall had a pretty good slave trade with Portugal on this basis
>>
>>561522
why did they send 400k slaves to mauritius and reunion? where they kept there? is even space for so much people there?
>>
>>566219
Sugarcanes, son.
It wasn't even enough, they had to bring in hundreds of thousands of Indian indentures as well.

And there are 2 million people on Reunion and Mauritius now.
>>
>>561395
somalis never exported , they imported from arabs/swahili from zanzibar
>>
>>561522
business was booming for the somalis, with the wars against Abyssinian and Pagan Oromo people
>>
>>566219
Sounds like the Barbados method.
>>
>>566257
i can imagine 2M slaves living like cattle in such a small place, but im surprised there also was enough force to avoid uprisings plus the people that lived there that wasn't force or slave. that must be a shitload of people for such a small space
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.