[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how did ancient societies deal with what is now known as cancer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 6
File: Screenshot (707).png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (707).png
2 MB, 1920x1080
how did ancient societies deal with what is now known as cancer?
>>
1 Corinthians 14:34
>>
They didn't have cancer.

Cancer is common now because people eat shitty foods and lack vitamins.
>>
They died from it.
>>
They died? On a related note isn't it believed Cao Cao had a brain tumour?
>>
>>559122
>Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says.

?
>>
>>559140
Implication that women are cancer.
>>
1. They didn't live long enough to get cancer.
2. The plague is visible. Leukemia you have a 30 minute nose bleed.
>>
>>559150
Pretty good post desu

-sam harris
>>
what happens if cancer isn't treated?
>>
we dont know they died !
>>
>>559125

Yeah there was an abundance of vitamons and minerals in the diets of those who suffered from scurvy and ricketts
>>
>>559125

Cancer was first diagnosed by the ancient greeks, if I recall correctly. It's from there it got it's name, because they thought the tumours looked like crayfish or something.

I guess it could be bull, but that's what I heard.
>>
>>559168
fuck off you dopey cunt. you dont get a fucking half hour nose bleed, you get really fucking tired, gums bleed and your lymphnodes go crazy
>>
File: emperor.jpg (3 MB, 1863x2839) Image search: [Google]
emperor.jpg
3 MB, 1863x2839
>>559112

There was a description of something like cancer found in the Edwin Smith papyrus, dated to somewhere around 2500 BC:

> If you treat a man

You can check out the whole papyrus here, it's pretty neat: https://ceb.nlm.nih.gov/proj/ttp/flash/smith/smith.html

> Case 45: If you treat a man for ball-like tumors on his chest and you find they have spread on his chest, and if you put your hands on his chest and on those tumors and find it very cold, with no warmth in it, and your hand finds they have no granularity, and they do not make water or create drops of water but are ball-like to your hand, then you say about him: "One who has ball-like tumors: an ailment I will fight with."

> Treatment: It is nothing. [Literally, there is no treatment]

Basically, though, the ancients knew of tumors, but they didn't understand what cancer was (and not every tumor is cancer), so it's almost impossible to diagnose who had it.

There's a good book on the history of cancer treatment that won the Pulitzer for non-fiction. It doesn't have a lot of examples in the ancient world and jumps pretty quickly to the nineteenth century, but it's still neat reading.
>>
>>559168
>1.

Bullshit.

People lived to be over hundred years old before the flood.
>>
>>559220
When Constantinopl got sacked, did we know what a lymph node is?

Everyone who works is fucking tired. 66 percent of the population has insomnia and depression. Symptoms of which include goddamn tired.

Gums bleeding? They didn't have toothbrushes when Mohammed (the devil fuck his ass eternally) was the Caliph.
>>
>>559225

what flood??
>>
>>559252
It's a meme
>>
>>559252
The global flood that happened around 2000 BC you retard.
>>
>>559252
The Great Flood present in many narratives across the world that occurred sometime between 10,000 BCE and 5000 BCE.

It actually happened.
>>
File: girlbacc.jpg (32 KB, 493x335) Image search: [Google]
girlbacc.jpg
32 KB, 493x335
they are died
>>
>>559242
what?
are you saying the plague was cancer? in most cases of leukemia even now you are diagnosed and die the same day
>>
>>559276
>10,000

That's impossible because the Earth is 6000 years old.

4000~2000 Creation, Eden, Fall, Antediluvian civilization, Nephilim, Dinosaurs, Flood

2000~0 Antiquity, ancient, pagan civilizations, Israel, etc.

0~2016 Church Age
>>
File: fredo999.jpg (13 KB, 160x225) Image search: [Google]
fredo999.jpg
13 KB, 160x225
>>559287
>even now you are diagnosed and die the same day

this is why I avoid Doctors
>>
>>559122
>>559150
Nice post, anon
>>
>>559324
So you can die that day without being diagnosed?
>>
>>559287
I'm saying that plague is larger potatoes than cancer. You can't see cancer without an MRI, x-ray or blood panels. If you see someone with plague, you know it's plague. Cancer is sneaky. Cancer in the middle and ancient ages went undiagnosed.
>>
by dying
>>
>>559287
>in most cases of leukemia even now you are diagnosed and die the same day
do you live in rwanda or what the fuck?
>>
>>559366
the symptoms are somewhat mild. I thought i had a chest infection + wisdom teeth coming through. turned out that was just leukemia. white cell counts were 420 (normal is 10-15)
>>
>>559343
No diagnosis, no death. Anon is immortal now.
>>
I enjoy reading about common afflictions like this in medieval times. I feel like it really ties "then" and "now" together in a more human way. Another really interesting topic of reading is instances of what we now call PTSD throughout history.
>>
>>559454
Recommendations?
>>
>>559292
What about the stars we see today from witch the light has travelled millions of light years?
>>
>>559125
>this is what hippies actually believe
>>
>>559242
>Gums bleeding? They didn't have toothbrushes when Mohammed (the devil fuck his ass eternally) was the Caliph.
Actually, islam recommends teeth brushing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miswak

>>559168
Living long helps, to get cancer, but is not necessary.
>>
>>559122
Pointless non-sequitur but this is 4chan after all.
>>
>>559112
They prepared for the suffers death. Just like they dealt with all disease. They had no way to treat it so they dealt with it in the only and obvious way. They might pray or offer sacrifices depending on their religion but mostly prepared for the inevitable.
>>
>>559125

go away
>>
>>559125
It's worrying that people engage so confidently in philosophy and history without any foundation of understanding of the physical observable universe.
>>
>>559112
Skallagrim doesn't have cancer
>>
>>559412

>420

Dude Lukemia Lmao
>>
File: Spyvs.spy.png (2 MB, 800x1102) Image search: [Google]
Spyvs.spy.png
2 MB, 800x1102
I wonder how they dealt with alcoholism.
>>
>>559454
>>559460

Seconded. Recommendations?

I know there's ancient Greek accounts of soldiers coming back different, a lord in the Wars of the Roses who went mad after Towton and Shakespeare's Hotspur clearly has it based on his wife's description.
>>
>>559191
Ded.
>>
>>559931

>Nothing New under the Sun: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorders in the Ancient World
Authors: Walid Khalid Abdul-Hamid1 and Jamie Hacker Hughes2
Source: Early Science and Medicine, Volume 19, Issue 6, pages 549 – 557
>>
>>559125
As somebody with cancer, cancer is "common" now because we actually live long enough to get noticed before we keel over with the deads.
>>
>>559654
By drinking it away
>>
>>560154
And also because you don't die of cancer per se, you die of complications caused by it, and before modern medical practice they most likely thought it was something else, when it in fact was cancer.
>>
Cancer wasn't that common mostly because people didn't live long enough to get it. If one actually had a cancer, he or she died and doctors gave some vague diagnosis about fluids and elements.

>>559191

It it's benign, you live with it.

If it's malicious then in 99.99999999% of cases you die. Or you get a spontaneous remission.
>>
>>559654
They had alcoholic deadbeat dads and families who had to deal with them.

Sometimes these guys featured in comedies.

I suppose we haven't really changed a lot since.
>>
>>559125
This is actually somewhat correct. Cancer wasn't nonexistent, but fossils show that it was very scarce and it became more common as we lived longer and ate worse
>>
>>559292
>please ignore everything I say: the post
>>
Most people die before they get cancer in ancient society. Average life expectancy was 35 years old, you have to be very lucky to live longer.
>>
I'm interested in what people thought of the phenomenon where you get shocked after rolling around in bedsheets or stepping on carpeted floor

You can now just google what that is and why it happens, but I want to see some written mention of it, not in a scientific context, but just some passing mention, share some solidarity with those of the past over some small silly experience like this
>>
>>560308
>Most people die before they get cancer in ancient society. Average life expectancy was 35 years old, you have to be very lucky to live longer.

This is bait btw.
>>
>>560370
Calling noon bait bait is shitposting.
>>
>>560279
You have to also think of that we are much more globalized now, the genes that would cause cancer are much more wide spread than they have ever been before.
>>
>>560388
I'll fight your dubs with my knowledge and sharp wits.

Life expectancy of 35 does not mean people died of old age when they reached 35, Rather, it means that for every child that died in infancy, another person might have lived to be 70.

And children died in infancy. Alot. That brought the life expectancy down. If you got past the age 10, you were most likely going to make it past 60 if you didnt die by violence or disease.
>>
Hell, the base cause of cancer wasn't well-understood until the latter half of the 20th century.

The treatment for breast cancer used to be radical mastectomy, which involved removal of the breast, underlying chest muscle (including pectoralis major and pectoralis minor), and lymph nodes of the axilla. This procedure was the dominant treatment until the mid 1970s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_mastectomy
>>
my cancer begon with sweating and itching. sneaky it is!
>>
>>559112
They died from it. I would assume that it's a more prominent problem now because most of the old killers have been subdued through modern medicine.
>>
>>559112
Youd be surprised how the new age spraying of chemical agents has brought us this new cancer. Cancer wasnt a problem back then. An occasional case of cancer is just an exception. We brought this disease upon ourselves.
>>
>>559224
Good book. There's a Ken Burns doc on netflix right now based on it.
>>
>>560460
>Cancer wasnt a problem back then.
Yes it was, people just didn't know it. It used to be called "dying of old age".
>>
>>560279
>Fossils
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>560460
Go read a wikipedia page on cancer or something before you start talking about it my god.
>>
>>560468
>>560475
You should learn to ignore posts like this, friends. He probably thinks there's a magic bullet cure that the gubmint is just hiding for profits.
>>
i think it's plastic
>>
I heard in most of Europe most people would just hide themselves as they died, it was just seen as some sickness and was far less prevalent than today
90% of cancer is caused by people being stupid, fuck idiots who get it and waste money on squeezing a few more years out coughing up blood and sitting in a hospital bed with no hair
>>
>>560403
>Life expectancy of 35 does not mean people died of old age when they reached 35
The other anon never claimed that, and yet you called what he said bullshit. That's shitposting, m8.
>>
They did have cancer back then

it's essentially a constant

it's just that nowadays we've managed to effectively deal with every other disease

so now only really cancer is the big unstoppable cause of death
>>
>>559168
>They didn't live long enough to get cancer.
Why not? People lived as long as we do now.

Are you the last person to figure out that life expectancy metrics are fucked up by infant mortality?
>>
>>559112
wat
why did you use a skall pic?
he doesn't have cancer, that was a car accident
>>
Most cancers which appear in childhood like leukemias cause people to die of other causes, like infection and bleeding, they wouldn't be all that notable from any other infectious disease.
cancers that comes with old age are rarer, and also the tumor in itself doesn't kills you, you would look cachectic, get infections, develop ascites, all of which can occur without cancer. Tumors are often benign as well.
Disease was seen in much simpler terms:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humorism
>>
>>560553
Because he gives people cancer
>>
>>560812
he's realistic to the point that is boring
>>
>>559983
>Walid Khalid Abdul-Hamid
His parents must have been high as a kite when they named him.
>>
>>559125
>>560279
Utter and complete nonsense.

Plenty of mummified people, even fucking animals have been diagnosed with cancerous masses in their bodies.

Cancer was just as common as it is today since it's mostly a matter of chance. To a certain extent you can affect the likelihood of developing cancer (e.g. by no living near nuclear waste), but the idea that you could avoid cancer by living "correctly" is utterly foolish.

However, most people get diagnosed with cancer at an old age; that's where cancer is generally the most prevalent and people in the past often died from other causes before cancer could kill them, not to mention that doctors back then often assumed that it was simply old age which killed them rather than cutting them open and looking inside.
>>
>>559112
They died
>>559125
Yes they did. Cancer is almost completely random in that an error in cell reproduction is its cause. You can have a greater chance of getting it depending on your genes, but there is no evidence that vitamins or diet will prevent or help in the case that it arises.
>>
>>559112
It wasn't as big of a problem back then because people weren't exposed to the artificial carcinogens of our modern industrial civilization, and they often died young from other diseases or violence.

When someone did get cancer, it was terminal.
>>
>>561025
>just as common as it is today
now that is bullshit
>>
>>559112
Skall had a bike accident, not cancer and he is pretty well
>>
It was less common and people didn't live long enough to get it a lot of the time.

When people did get it, they just died usually although I think I have heard of very haphazard surgeries consisting of them just cutting the tumor out.
>>
>>561025
>Plenty of mummified people, even fucking animals have been diagnosed with cancerous masses in their bodies.

No they haven't
>>
File: johnson3_1398.jpg (49 KB, 343x400) Image search: [Google]
johnson3_1398.jpg
49 KB, 343x400
>>559224
Quite fascinating how much detail there is for such primitive times.
>>
>>559112
does Skallagrim have cancer?
>>
>>561545
No, the joke was that he is cancer, it has been explained many times in this thread.
There are only 86 replies before your post, I expect better from you /his/torians, read the thread.
>>
>>561553
lmao nigga i dont got time for that ayy yhahahhahahah lam o haha lmao ayyyyyyy
>>
>>561600
Listen here you little shit

dont you ever
ever
reply to me again
>>
>>561613
>>
>>559137
Possibly, but also might have been just some superstition or "roleplaying"
>>
>>559112

They didnt, they just died.
>>
>>559287

> Leukemia
> Die on day of diagnosis

sure if you are a murilard and dont go to see the doctor before you are massively anaemic
>>
>>561752
No, he's just retarded. My mom's brother died of Leukemia back in the 70's and even then the time from detection to his death was several months even though they couldn't really do anything to treat it.
>>
>>559137
And Jiang Wei had liver cancer, when Wei soldiers did autopsy on his body, they discovered that his liver is as big as a bowl
>>
>>561375
Yes, you retard.

http://discovermagazine.com/2013/julyaug/16-history-cancer-afflicted-people-since-prehistoric-times-fossils-show

>>561177
No, it's not. People didn't die as often from it because people usually died from other things much earlier. Cancer is still an old-people disease and has always been because the most prominent cause of it is simply mutation.
>>
>>559125
I bet you actually believe that bullshit
>>
>>559125
It was that they didn't have plastics tbeh.
>>
>>560475
>Go read a wikipedia page on cancer or something before you start talking about it
>The great majority of cancers, some 90–95% of cases, are due to environmental factors. The remaining 5–10% are due to inherited genetics.[5] Environmental, as used by cancer researchers, means any cause that is not inherited genetically, such as lifestyle, economic and behavioral factors, and not merely pollution.[28] Common environmental factors that contribute to cancer death include tobacco (25–30%), diet and obesity (30–35%), infections (15–20%), radiation (both ionizing and non-ionizing, up to 10%), stress, lack of physical activity, and environmental pollutants.[
>>
life expectancy was low in the olden days because was childhood death was so high. If you lived to the adage of 10 and you're ok theres a good chance you'll make it to 20, then 30, then 40 etc...

So if you don't die as a kid and lead a normal life you will probably live to 60 or 70 like everyone else. Do people really think there were no old people in ancient times?
>>
>>562044
Was it a little bowl?
>>
>>559112
They didn;t all that much because most people didn't live that far outside their 40-50's
>>
>>560279
>fossils
u fookin wot m8
>>
>>559125
>All these people mad over obvious bait
>>
>>559168
I think you're thinking or cocaine matey
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.