[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do You Want to be Wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 8
File: 1447012534756.jpg (277 KB, 1024x807) Image search: [Google]
1447012534756.jpg
277 KB, 1024x807
I'm just curious fellow atheists on /his/- do you go to bed at night hoping you're wrong? That there actually is a god(s) coupled with an afterlife with a pie in the sky for every man and woman ever born? Part of the reason why I attack religion with every argument I can summon is to try to squeeze some actual evidence from it so that I might actually reassesses my position and realize that somewhere, something was overlooked, and that one religion is in fact, true. Because the alternative is a depressing universe where all ends in oblivion, and our lives may as well have never even been lived in the first place with the demise of our consciousness. The atheist's universe is a scary, depressing place with no redeeming qualities besides drowning yourself in hedonism until your forget about your inevitable fate.

Accuse me of a blogposting or whatever, but going to bed right now, I really, really hope I'm wrong.
>>
>>558502

No.
>>
>>558524
So you want to be right and utterly cease to exist?
>>
>>558502
I don't want to be right or wrong, based on my own preferences, but more accurate.
>>
>>558547

You are doing so much implications with that statement.
>>
>>558502
>Because the alternative is a depressing universe where all ends in oblivion, and our lives may as well have never even been lived in the first place with the demise of our consciousness.

From one atheist to another, you clearly need religion if you are stating this, so go join the one you like. It won't matter to me none, and you will probably be much happier. I'm happier without all that man made stuff.
>>
>>558502
Maybe it's possible to not lie to yourself, and simultaneously be a stable person.
>>
>>558571
Except there is no evidence to support any of it. I can't believe in anything really- I only acknowledge theories with solid backing. The only way I could take up religion is by wiping my brain of all my memories.
>>
>>558502
No i don't want to burn in hell eternally.
>>
www.compellingtruth.org

Not believing in God is illogical and retarded.
>>
>>558586
Religion is more than that for a lot of people. It provides more than just intellectual needs, it also provides social and psychological needs. I could very easily see you joining up with a religion to have one of these other needs met, probably most likely when you are older and realize that all this shit doesn't matter, only what makes you happy.

As for me, nope. I'm cursed, I've read too many primary sources and have placed just about every religion in its proper historical and sociological context... there is no more mystery for me. You could possible get to where I am, but judging by your OP, I doubt that.
>>
>>558598
Christianity is illogical and retarded.
>>
>If Christians are right: Heaven
>If Christians are wrong: nothing

>If Atheists are right: nothing
>If Atheists are wrong: Hell

Fedoras are so retarded that they are willing to risk their eternity in the blind hope that there is no God and their actions have no consequences.

If they want to suck Satan's cock so much, let them I guess.
>>
>>558607
Atheism is illogical and retarded.

There is overwhelming evidence and arguments for God yet you reject Him.
>>
>>558608
occam's razor is an old argument that has been confirmed as a fallacy a long time ago.
>>
>>558610

>There is overwhelming evidence and arguments for God yet you reject Him
Such as? I'm not from a christian country please let me hear some of them.
>>
>>558615
I just provided a link, are you blind?
>>
>>558615
>inb4 loopy logic
>inb4 "the Bible says"
>>
>>558618
>archeological evidence supports Bible
>historical evidence supports Bible
>science supports Bible
>ancient civilizations support the Bible

If it walks like a duck...
>>
>>558617
I'm not going to click on some propaganda website. If you have any arguments, provide and let's discuss.
>>
>>558602
No I'm basically in the same spot. I see virtually all religions (western at least, not too familiar with asian history) like dots in the history of man, and the greater history of the planet. We see how they evolve slowly over time, how they mutate and split from other religions almost like living organisms themselves.

I just really wish in the future this position could be proven, scientifically, completely and utterly false. Although I suppose I could always go with Buddhism.
>>
>>558502

No. The idea of having the live an eternal existance in heaven seems horrible to me.

Most of the life's good things are directly related to the fact that life is finite and you have to find the good among the bad.
>>
>>558622
>asks for proof
>post proof
>"HURRR I AINT CLICKING DAT NIGGA"

So I win the argument.

That was easy.
>>
>>558639
You are acting like a child.

https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/
believing in God is illogical and retarded

hurr durr i won an argument
>>
>>558502
I want to be wrong. I want to be wrong about a lot of other things as well. I want to be wrong about my mother having died of cancer and it is just some sick prank. I want to be wrong about me not having a billion dollars in my bank account.
>>
>>558638
Except without continued consciousness, it doesn't matter. Your experiences are completely worthless without the ability to remember and focus upon them, cause y'know, your brain turns into dust. For all intents and purposes, if you're incapable of remembering it happening, it didn't happen.
>>
>>558502
Nah.
Death isn't going to be the worst thing.
Humans run on a biological clock, if you die from old age then you're body prepares you for it, and you calmly accept the abyss.
>>
>>558635
I have a BA in Religious Studies, trust me when I say: Asian religions become just as disenchanting as western religions once you study them thoroughly. Buddhism too.
>>
>>558653

>Your experiences are completely worthless without the ability to remember and focus upon them,

Says you.

I enjoy my experiences and therefor they are not worthless.

> if you're incapable of remembering it happening, it didn't happen.

If a tree falls in the forest but nobody is around to hear it, does that mean the tree didn't fall?
>>
>>558678
>I enjoy my experiences and therefor they are not worthless.
They are when you can't enjoy them because you're physically incapable of doing so.

>If a tree falls in the forest but nobody is around to hear it, does that mean the tree didn't fall?
Each individual observer is the center of the universe. If nobody saw the tree fall, the tree didn't fall.
>>
>>558681

>They are when you can't enjoy them because you're physically incapable of doing so.

When my time has come, I no longer need to enjoy them, but I have in the past. In the future my children can enjoy the fruits of my labor and the joy of my experiences.

>Each individual observer is the center of the universe. If nobody saw the tree fall, the tree didn't fall.

You're profoundly self-centered to the point where you think your subjective experience is absolute truth.
>>
>>558502
>the only alternative to atheism is theism

lol I feel bad for you son. Read books, read philosophy, live your spirituality inside you instead of grafting it onto the external institution. It's possible to not be an atheist and also not be a Christian either. Educate yourself
>>
>>558694
The theistic god is a bastardization of the Absolute, literally The Eternal Source For Dummies. Live your reality at the deepest levels and you will find the philosopher's and mystic's "god" has been there and waiting for you this whole time
>>
>>558690
>When my time has come, I no longer need to enjoy them, but I have in the past. In the future my children can enjoy the fruits of my labor and the joy of my experiences.

Which again, does not matter without the ability to actually be aware of such. With oblivion nothing matters- your entirely family line could get wiped out in a car crash the day after your death and it would not matter to you, because you would be wholly unaware of it due to no longer existing.

>You're profoundly self-centered to the point where you think your subjective experience is absolute truth.

It is for all of us. For all intents and purposes, if we are but mortal, the universe only lives as long as we do. When we die the universe dies with us. Each of our subjective lives is the absolute truth because for all intents and purposes, there is nothing beyond our subjective experiences as individuals.
>>
>>558711

>does not matter

What do you even mean by this?

My life matters because I say it does. That fact that the period in which I can say that is finite does not change that.

>if we are but mortal, the universe only lives as long as we do

Having some basic understanding of physics I know this to be factually incorrect.
>>
>>558711
We exist as subjectivities in an objective reality. "Nothing exists beyond my individual experience" is beyond autistic. So we're all just omnipotent god-minds hallucinating the same reality? Come on
>>
>>558718
>So we're all
>we
>Implying you exist and I'm not just hallucinating you.
>>
>>558715

>Having some basic understanding of physics I know this to be factually incorrect.

And it does not matter. It does not matter how beautiful you build a sand castle if there is nobody to behold it because without observation, without recognition, it may as well not be. Yes the universe technically continues to exist post your demise- but it might as well not considering you are wholly unaware of its continuation, as is the same with every other individual.
>>
>>558547
yes
>>
>>558731
No, you don't stop fronting like some nihilistic anime villain
>>
>>558733
>not wanting to live for eternity in North Korea but paved with gold is 'nihilistic', 'anime,' and 'villainous'.

ok.
>>
>>558547
You imply existing is a good thing.
>>
>>558547
Personally, I look forward to a time when my consciousness ceases to exist so that I wouldn't feel obligated to answer dumb fucking questions on /his/.
>>
>>558617
That's right, have someone else fight your battles for you.
>>
>>558746
>thinking heaven is some corny Sunday school shit
>thinking existence in a transcendent realm is going to be "boring"

Nigga please, your shit's family guy-tier
>>
File: 1447713596500.jpg (443 KB, 975x1920) Image search: [Google]
1447713596500.jpg
443 KB, 975x1920
>>558768
>believing in a sky-daddy who wishes everything into existence isn't corny Sunday school shit in the first place

lmao
>>
>>558768
Also I call bullshit on people whining about eternal life would be boring.

If there's a god, all he needs to do to make me happy is supply me with an infinite library and infinite cups of hot cocoa. I'm a man of simple joys.
>>
>>558746
>thinking there is "time" in heaven
>thinking there are negative emotions, feelings or concepts of "boredom" in heaven

Spotted the retard.
>>
File: 1448649405713.png (685 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
1448649405713.png
685 KB, 500x350
>>558777
>blah blah blah these things aren't in heaven
yeah there's nothing in heaven because it doesn't exist tardlord

nice trips, checked.
>>
>>558773
>implying I believe in a sky daddy
>implying the only concept of the transcendent absolute is the Christian one
>being this ignorant of metaphysics and spirituality
>>
>>558777
Then what's stopping you of eventually just taking your positive emotions for granted and thus ending the point of having them?
>>
File: tips fedora.jpg (42 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
tips fedora.jpg
42 KB, 479x720
>>558781
>>558782
>>
>>558781
Heavens just another way to talk about higher, rarefied states of consciousness, culminating in the infinite consciousness itself, the Absolute
>>
File: 9fOpvWJ.png (15 KB, 609x230) Image search: [Google]
9fOpvWJ.png
15 KB, 609x230
>>558782
>"metaphysics"
>"spirituality"
>>
>>558787
>fedora meme
>>
>>558786
Because heaven is like an eternal orgasm.
>>
>>558502
This image makes me imagine a coming of age movie where the civil war veteran dies, and the leaves the city boys with a request to bring his saber to his son in some other far-away state.
>>
>>558790
does the belief in "higher states of consciousness" even have a scientific basis? i hear it a lot from spirit science memers, but i've never seen any evidence for it.
>>
File: average atheist.png (250 KB, 523x372) Image search: [Google]
average atheist.png
250 KB, 523x372
>>558781
>>558782

>I'm 15 now mom, don't tell me what to do!
>My Marxist professor told me there is no God!
>>
>>558798
can someone shop the "JUST FUCK ME UP" hair on this guy for me?
>>
>>558796
Spirit science is fucking trash

>>558798
>>558787
I'm obviously arguing for a higher power. Just one that's greater and even more indescribable than the Christian god. Look into orthodox mysticism, the desert fathers, meister eckhart, Kierkegaard or dyionisius the arepogite you mental midgets. You don't even know the history of your own religion fucking lol
>>
>>558798
>ad hominems
>>
>>558808
Yeah, too bad your belief is completely meaningless because it's constructed to be completely falsifiable. Enjoy standing on your tall rock shouting "YOU CAN'T DISPROVE THE UNKNOWABLE" and ranting about your great and indescribable god whilst more grounded people discuss shit that matters.
>>
>>558823
*unfalsifiable.
>>
>>558502

Yes, I do feel the same OP, but more pertaining to the present. If fear death and endless nothing much less than the meaningless present. But using reason and reason alone, one has to conclude that life is indeed meaningless. I kind of need faith, but I find it very hard to muster.

But this Tolstoy might help you with your problem: https://www.brainpickings.org/2014/06/03/tolstoy-confession/
>>
>>558823
>implying I need to prove shit to some fedora on 4chan
>implying gnosis isn't a thing
>implying "there is one ultimate source that everything comes from" is that ridiculous of a statement
>implying you need to prove the transcendent to live the transcendent, as if I need to literally find a virtuous man on the street first before I'm allowed to strive towards an ideal
>implying the deepest self-affirmation of one's Being isn't the metaphysical God
>implying even existentialists like Heidegger don't concede the unknowable transcendence of nonbeing
>implying the Absolute is a scientific position and not a conscientious alignment with the root and principle of reality
>implying having a healthy relationship with oneself and existence isn't the most practical thing there is
>implying you know shit or ate even educated about the topic to speak on it

Go back to reddit nigga your shits weaksauce
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 600x450
>>558843
hello this is me update
i am a big giant fag i like big fat cocks i am super super gay i like long big cocks
>>
>>558854
Epeck, upvoted!! XD
>>
File: Atheists.gif (63 KB, 612x764) Image search: [Google]
Atheists.gif
63 KB, 612x764
>>558502
>I'm just curious fellow atheists on /his/- do you go to bed at night hoping you're wrong?
See this why only Atheists will be ok when dying.

>Die
>Nothing Happens
>Mythbusted,jpg
>Except you cant do that since you're pretty much reduced to pre-birth non-existent consciousness.

>Die
>There's a god/gods/afterlife.
>What a pleasant surprise.
>>
>waaaah, I want there to be an afterlife to badly!
>this world is scary!

How weak can you faggots be? It takes an incredibly weak individual to constantly have to lie to yourself to pretend there's some sort of fairy tale ending at the end of your life.
>>
>>558608
>Christians are right
>But this is how you see things.
>God sees through your shitty fencesitting
>Go to hell.
>>
>>558900
>le burly atheist man not afraid to look life unblinkingly in the eye maymay

Back to reddit good buddy good pal
>>
>>558911

>this is considered an argument in the 21st Century

How far we have fallen.
>>
>>558900
>implying the most spiritual constitutions aren't forged through profound suffering and polished by tears
>>
>>558915

>implying I implied that at all
>>
>>558857
::::::^^^^^^^^))))))
no problemo friendo
>>
>utilitarian arguments for the deepest truths of life
how low will christ cucks go
>>
>>558502

This is the biggest fucking bait thread. I'm expecting Constantine or some other Christfag to come out being behind this whole thing.
>>
>>558502
Not an atheist but was one for 99% of my life so far
I never cared about the concept of religion, which I understood as nothing more than psychologically reassuring superstition. Who cares if our lives are eventually meaningful to the universe or not though? How does that even change anything about your daily life?
>>
>>558954
>how would life having an objective, transcendent meaning, even if it's something as non-determinate as "grow and acquire wisdom", change anything about how you live it lmfao

Do hipsters really believe this?
>>
When I die ill deal with whatever happens then. I dont see any point in wasting time thinking about it now when nobody can tell me what happens after death anyway.
>>
>>558547
Yes. What's so hard to comprehend about that?
>>
>>558502
You religious types are so stupid, you think a being would waste their time catering to the primitive desires of apes they designed.
>>
>>561164
>false flagging this hard
>>
>hope
No

>wish
Yes

Ill just have to make a society with artificial gods
>>
>>561164
Thats a stupid statement. An omnipotent god doesnt have a hypocampus and limited time to give to others. He would have infinite patience.
>>
>>558502
>I'm just curious fellow atheists on /his/- do you go to bed at night hoping you're wrong?
no

>That there actually is a god(s) coupled with an afterlife with a pie in the sky for every man and woman ever born?
yeah that would be cool but so would a lot of things

>Part of the reason why I attack religion with every argument I can summon is to try to squeeze some actual evidence from it so that I might actually reassesses my position and realize that somewhere, something was overlooked, and that one religion is in fact, true.
well it's good to question your beliefs but you shouldn't ask a question if you already have an answer in mind and you're just trying to validate something.

>Because the alternative is a depressing universe where all ends in oblivion, and our lives may as well have never even been lived in the first place with the demise of our consciousness.
It's only "depressing" if you compare it with something, which from the atheist perspective doesn't exist. Might as well complain about the lack of anime girls.

>The atheist's universe is a scary, depressing place with no redeeming qualities besides drowning yourself in hedonism until your forget about your inevitable fate.
It is what you make of it. You'll never know all there is to know, you'll never run out of pleasures to experience. What would you want from heaven besides eternity, which is something we're not equipped to experience or understand. If we were able to experience it we wouldn't be human.
>>
>>561250
An omnipotent would not give a crap about you.
>>
I think I would like it if some legends and myths turned out to be roughly true. Like there is actually a unicorn-like species running around somewhere and it wasn't just a game of Chinese Whispers played with a rhinoceros. Or maybe there really are some invisible concious beings somewhere. I dislike most ideas of traditional gods because they seem very authoritarian, but some mythical creatures might be nice.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.