[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Deadliest Warrior Accuracy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: deadliest-warrior-spike-logo.jpg (253 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
deadliest-warrior-spike-logo.jpg
253 KB, 1920x1080
Anyone remember this show?

Here's some episodes and a channel with a few uploaded
https://youtu.be/LoPSg1sWdaw

https://youtu.be/PYF8Dfkuj_s

Do you think it was an accurate replication of battles between warriors thoughout history?
Is this show going to be the closest we'll come to being able to examine different cultures battle stategy, and how it would hold up against others?

I thought they did well in examining and testing the weaponry of each group.
>>
>wanted to discuss warriors I'm history
>/his/ is too busy with trap threads

Ah well
>>
>>56666
I saw one episode a few years ago where they claimed an ojibwe warrior would beat a gladiator. It looked pretty stupid desu. The natives they had in it were really angry and insecure the whole time, too.
>>
>>56714
The show has been criticized for misrepresentation of the warriors behavior in a number of episodes, along with biased results.

Despite this, I often find it to be alright. It's never going to be 100% in what-if testing.
>>
>>55747
It was definitely dumbed down, it was on Spike after all.

And everytime they shot or cut the basaltic gel, the crew always had to go "yeeeeaaaaah, awwwwwwww" and high five each other.
Or whenever a minority was on it was always "decedent of the Samurai" or "descendant of the Aztecs." As if having a white guy with the title of "descendant of knights" would mean anything to anyone from a research stand-point.

That being said, I loved the show, I think they did a fairly decent job testing and comparing weapons. Tactics didn't really play a large focus though. It would have been better if they brought in some researches for stuff like that, although I can understand how it'd be hard to implement it in their software that basically just counted kills.
>>
>>56866
Do you think we'll ever have a show attempt a more in depth look at the clash of different historical forces?
>>
>Vlad Tepes vs Sun Tzu episode.

Pretty cool seeing that Shamshir slice shit up.

But then they royally shit the bed with that last Vampire/Undead episode. Not so much due to the outcome, but the entire idea of it. It pretty much went along the lines of

>Hey, let's take folkloric creatures that have some real pop culture swing right now, and make them fight!
>Cool, who will we bring in for experts?
>Let's go get some writers to do plugs for their books.
>Say no more.

They should have just stuck with historical fighters, and try pairing up adversaries better. Pirate vs. Knight was stupid, as was Ninja vs. Spartan. The outcome of Viking vs Samurai also was nonsense.
>>
>>56990
Definitely ended a low note, and the episodes to appease culture icons were ridiculous.

I think it was Napoleon v. Washington, that was great. Good match to put head to head.
>>
50,000 WW2 VINTAGE ITALIANS VS 4 MODERN US MARINES LOST IN THE DESERT WITH THEIR HUMVEE

WH WOULD WIN

WHO WOULD WIN
>>
>>55747

The Delta Force vs. Spetznaz episode was great banter
>>
It wasn't very scientific at all.

Whenever they did head to head comparisons of weapons, they'd rarely use the same testing method. How they determine what's more lethal than other things can become very arbitrary. They didn't account for any differences regarding the racial characteristics of the people at the time, etc.
>>
>>57150

The third season in general was crap, introducing an "X factor" to basically deus ex machina whichever side they'd prefer to win.

>George Washington vs Napoleon Bonaparte
>Washington wins somehow

That was rubbish, but I guess they couldn't have Murrica lose another fight after Spetsnaz vs Green Berets eh.
>>
>>57255
>4 MODERN US MARINES LOST IN THE DESERT WITH THEIR HUMVEE

VERSUS QUARTER MILLION ROMANS AT THE PEAK OF THEIR STRENGTH
>>
>>57354

Aw shit it was Green Berets. I fucked up
>>
>>57354
The outcome was stupid, but it was a good example of pairs they should have been matching. They needed groups close enough in time and technology to stand a chance but different enough to make it interesting.
>>
>>55747

Fun to watch, bloated by recaps and useless "edge" comparisons, testing was pretty weird at times. Probably would've been better if it was by the History Channel or something, instead of Spike.
Probably the worst thing about the show, though, was that it directly inspired Death Battle. And that, simply put, is unforgivable.

>>57354
>but I guess they couldn't have Murrica lose another fight after Spetsnaz vs Green Berets eh.

Crazy Horse got his ass spanked hard, though, so that was another loss for America.
>>
I used to love this show thanks anon you are a god
>>
>>57453
I agree that the match-up was in theory one of the better ones, but they blew it. They blatantly avoided answering the eternal question "pirate vs ninja" by pairing them with ridiculous opponents as mentioned above.

>>57570
Yeah but that was the exception, every other fight was a US win.

>CIA vs KGB
>American Mafia vs Yakuza
>SWAT vs GSG9
(second most bullshit after Washington vs Bonaparte imo, they up-gunned the SWAT)
>Apache vs Gladiator
>Comanche vs Mongol
>SEALs vs Israeli Commandos
>Theodore Roosevelt vs Lawrence of Arabia
>Army Rangers vs Best Korea Spec Forces

That last one was very close, too bad muh X-factor.

Overall the show was entertaining and anyone with real intelligence would catch on that it's baloney. I dunno about History Channel doing any better, those morons gave us Battles BC and shit up the channel in general with reality garbage.
>>
>>56714
Gladiator's equipment was just not very good though. If they made better choices they would have stood a chance, but the helmet would have gotten them killed far more often than it would have saved them. They also brought a sling against an opponent with a bow.
>>
>people actually take this show seriously and think it's accurate
>>
I think the tests are cool but other than that it's a shit show. Read what's linked in this pastebin

http://pastebin.com/wMeEz1WD
>>
It would've been much better without the "matchups" and if it wasn't on Spike. Seeing various weapons in action with various tests (armored gel and such) would've been nice enough. I only watched 2 seasons but I would've liked to see more mounted combat tests (lancing things without modern saddles, stirrups, etc).
>>
>>55747
I gotten so pissed off at this show so many times. American tv at its finest
>>
>>55747
They had one episode where they simulated a lion vs a tiger. They went on for a good 10 minutes about how what sets the tiger apart from the lion is that is super stealthy and a master at sneak attacks. Then when they showed their simulation, the tiger was chilling out in the open and then the lion sneaks up on it and kills it. Fucking ridiculous
>>
>>60750

That never happened in Deadliest Warrior.
Ever.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.