[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do culturally ubiquitous drugs like caffeine, tobacco or alcohol
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: 1438980557120.jpg (21 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
1438980557120.jpg
21 KB, 500x372
Do culturally ubiquitous drugs like caffeine, tobacco or alcohol have a net negative or positive effect on a society? How have the introductions of these drugs changed society for the worse or better?

Are there any drugs our society should adopt for general use? I don't just mean marijuana. I'm speaking more of hallucinogens used in a shamanistic sense. Do you think our society could benefit from our intellectuals using these substances, in the same way med students pop adderall like candy and cocaine helped drive the 80's stock boom?
>>
>>556997
MDMA, LSD, Mushrooms and Ketamine are being looked into for medical purposes, specifically treatment of depression and PTSD.
>>
>>556997
I'd say tobacco and caffeine are a net good on the count that they have more or less no downsides, stimulate the economy by the demand for them, and generally just help people get through the day.

Alcohol on the other hand is clearly bad. Even if just for the more philosophical reasons suggested by Nietzsche.
>>
>>556997

Alcohol and tobacco are extremely destructive

No drugs should be adopted outside of medical use since the vast majority of people can't handle them
>>
>>556997
its a categorical assumption that our society needs to turn away from drug use, wholesale. The entire culture of "drugs enhance _______" is complete and utter stupidity that falls squarely in the realm of millennial interests.

There is virtually nothing in this world I could care less about having intellectuals waste their money and time on than psychadelic drugs or d rug use in general.

>pic related HURP A DERP
into the fucking trash. If i had it my way, into the fucking OVEN
>>
>>556997
>a net negative or positive effect on a society
In whose interest does our society function?
>>
Alcohol is the bane of a healthy society.
>>
>>557270
Is it worse than tobacco or obesity (sugar works as a drug).
>>
Alcohol is one of the hardest drugs available, far worse than any of the the other recreational drugs mentioned in OP.

It's just that a society run as a police state is worse than a society that allows the use of recreational drugs.

Pro-prohibition-fags: how do you prove in a court of law that drugs were found in the possession of the suspect? The testimony of the police officer who found them on the suspect is equal to the suspects testimony that they didn't find them on their person, so it's a wash. How do they then prove drugs were found, without the judge or jury elevating the word of one witness above the other?
>>
>>557194
>In whose interest does our society function?

Mine. Yours.

The question is, do you want to be locked up for possessing recreational drugs, and do you think your life would be improved if you were?
>>
Where does the whole: 'You can't enjoy psychoactive substances outside Alcohol, Tabaco and Caffeine' come from any ways?

Is it some sort of anti-hedonism stance?
>>
I've got to side with Aldous Huxley on this one, actually.

Psychedelics are immensely wonderful in the hands of the right people. The right people are an incredibly small segment of society and unfortunately the rest of the population simply isn't equipped to handle or appreciate the insights and revelations potentially brought about by responsible psychedelic use.

Naysayers are simply in the low IQ range that shouldn't have access.

Stay woke.
>>
>>557035
>tobacco has no downside
>>
>>557315
>Alcohol
Tradition, because it used to be safer to drink than water. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_YxauHnpyg

>Tobacco
Literally predates the United States and was a staple cash crop when the United States was founded. Even so, it's becoming increasingly discouraged.

>Caffeine
It's a stimulant with practical use, and significantly less risk with harder stimulants like meth and coke. Also, tea predates the United States as well.
>>
File: thisguy12.jpg (18 KB, 236x316) Image search: [Google]
thisguy12.jpg
18 KB, 236x316
>>557306
what kind of high ass idiot are you.

The social contract of any functioning western society, clearly establishes the Police and their professions duties as implicitly justified.

is this what you millennials think? That, your word and the polices word are equal? and that every last infraction and misdemeanor should be dileberated by a jury?

>How do they then prove drugs were found
fingerprints you dipshit moron. 99% of drugs, and paraphanalia will have some kind of print or biological indicator of posession. Further, when the police locate drugs on your person, or in your vehicle, possession is implied. How did you not understand this? how old are you? Do you not understand that "possession is 9/10th of the law? and that posession is determined both implicitly and through evidence gathering means?

>pic related
"its your word against mine officer"
>>
>>557312
Society certainly doesn't function in my interest mate. Read your fucking Marx.
>>
Why is coffee seen as having no downsides? How can worse sleep not be a downside? Do you guys even lift heavy weights (and see how sleep affects your performance)?
>>
>>557486
>How can worse sleep not be a downside?
Coffee puts me to sleep. It affects people differently.
>>
>>556997
>caffeine,
positive
>tobacco
negative
>alcohol
negative
>>
>>556997
They increase net GDP, so they're good. Any other metric used to justify them being negative just amounts to hurt feelings or a belief that even though they can act rationally no one else can.

I don't even use any of those substances.
>>
>>557675
caffeine can actually calm down a lot of people who otherwise have a lot of energy (ie have ADHD) allowing them to focus and be more productive, thus allowing them to make a greater contribution to society. i would say this is a net positive considering the only real downfalls are when people develop a tolerance to it and need to drink more and more
>>
>>557922
>ie have ADHD
Ja, that's me exactly.

>the only real downfalls are when people develop a tolerance to it and need to drink more and more
This is me already, I'm finding I'm drinking more and more and more. I wake up and I can smell coffee beans :-(
>>
Negative. Even caffeine, though it's low on the totem pole of negativity. But oh man do you feel good when you kick the habit. It took me a week but it's worth it and you feel 10x better.
>>
>>557035
I was visiting a family member in the hospital, and the guy in the room next to her was dying of lung cancer. Oh my god, it looks like one of the most painful ways to go. He was hacking up blood and phlegm that smelled like smoke. It was one of the most disgusting smells I've ever smelt. I'd say a tobacco death, is a fucked up, horrible way to go.
>>
>>557275
Yes, apart from the health problems it causes (as your two examples also do), it causes heavy impairment and allows for a palpable escape from facing reality.

It's one of the reasons injustice prevails.
>>
File: pieandcoffee.jpg (42 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
pieandcoffee.jpg
42 KB, 800x800
>>556997
why does that guy love coffee and pie so much
>>
>>557972
Coffee, black is a metaphor for his capacity for evil and masculinity.

The "pie" is Audrey's cunt.

Why do you think he gets trapped in the redroom to the Black Lodge instead of the White Lodge?
>>
prohibition is entirely enforceable

take a look at modern singapore, cuba, the historical soviet union. Mao's eradication of the opium problem in china.

It's just a question of will
>>
the answer is yes
it really depends on where you approach the subject from. example: Culturally alcohol is significant to many european countries: from england, to italy, to Russia. the Czech republic is known for its beer locally known as Pils, we would call it pilsner. the Czechs, much like the Germans, are good at making 2 things independent of other countries: culture and beer. what makes this different from the Germans per say is that these two niche markets are their only real big important asset not owned/dominated by another country. the republic is also responsible for a fair percentage of cars, its biggest export, that said almost all of their auto companies' parent syndicates are German. beer was also a constant in their culture when they were bent down and fucked by the nazis/soviets/others. so you could say beer is beneficial to them
on a medical level it is, like most countries and their drugs, not at all beneficial.
the closest you come with a particular poison being good for a country in almost all ways is eastern countries and many types of tea as well as a few select others.
this said, prohibition and popularization of drugs is a fairly debatable outcome. generally speaking though since we dont know what would have happened did a certain event not happen i would say most drugs have an overall negative effect on majority of societies. not saying all drugs are bad, more saying most drugs taken either recreationally or not to treat something have both highs and lows.
would endorsing drugs help the nation/area/world profit? yes and no. it depends on the drug and what its being used for, in what dosages, and by what organization and restriction. rudimentary anti inflammatory drugs and pain relievers people use quite frequently in the civilized countries when we don't actually need them.
>>
>>557036
The vast majority of people can't handle em for a reason anon. Society pressing ridiculous ammount of stress on every citizen and then repressing the means to escape this because the role model is of the stronk worker that does his labour without complaining, ultimately leads to these "unofficial drugs" abuse. Smoking, sucking, having something in your mouth, for example, is directly linked to primal suck-and-fuck well being. Most smokers are fucking dry on the inside and compensate with what they have. This aspect of society could be fixed to have more joyfull citizen that wouldn't need to abuse the bottle or cigarette but then it wouldn't sell and make money.
>>
>>557312
>Mine. Yours.
>>
>>557389
I see where you're going anon. But then the problem does not comes from who is the most truth-worthy, but from the justification of having said drugs illegal.

Having drugs illegal has proven to be a failure and to be destructive for both sides of the balance. So at this point the very question of having your words against the ones of an officer in this subject becomes ridiculous.

Also being a cop doesn't imply that you're the good guy you know.
>>
>>557389
You do realize that cops are on the reg liars and douchebags, right? People trust them implicitly and that gives them free reign to abuse the law and dodge punishment. Look at any news broadcast in this day and age and you'll see instances of cops killing clearly unarmed people and getting off scot free, or using clearly unjustified force and getting no reprimand unless there's video evidence that clearly shows that the police officer did it without a shadow of a doubt.

A cop doesn't have your best interest in mind most of the time, kid, and planting evidence on people is a common way to remove undesirables.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.