[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's widely known that the loss of Constantinople led to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 1407154685678.jpg (7 KB, 186x139) Image search: [Google]
1407154685678.jpg
7 KB, 186x139
It's widely known that the loss of Constantinople led to the Age of Discovery, which led to European domination of the world.

Suppose the Turks never took Constantinople?

What would have happened to the New World, and European global hegemony?
>>
>>552638

>Turks don't take constaninople
>turks still control the balkans
>turks still control the suez
>turks still control the silk road
>turks still control eastern mediteranean

The only difference is they don't hold that one city. It would have played out the same way.
>>
>>552655
fall of Constantinople was the nail in the coffin
>>
>>552669

That changes nothing of what I said.
The rest still applies.
>>
>>552638

Loss to the venetian scum. By the time the turks finally conquered the shell of a city anyone and anything important was already in italy.
>>
>>552638

>It's widely known that the loss of Constantinople led to the Age of Discovery

Widely known among retards maybe. I don't know anybody who thinks this.
>>
Well i dont know what would happen to the new world, as there is TOO much variability, most likely the europeans would still colonize the new world firstly.As china during that period (i believe it was the ming dynasty) didnt really intrest itself in naval development, as long as their trade was protected they were good, japan was being japan and any other eastern asian country didnt had the groundwork for a naval power enough to actually colonize.What is more important homever, is HOW the ottomans lost.Was it a near-loss?How much damage did both sides take?Did the ottomans managed to move their ships through land?
If it was a devastating lost for the ottomans, the ottomans would crumble.Doesnt mean that the eastern romans would reach their old power, most likely local lords would rebel for their own nations, like bulgaria and albania (i think they were conquared).The byzantine could conquer more land, only in the european side homever, as anatolia would fall to different beylik's rebelling against the ottoman rule, and beyliks that havent yet been conquared by the ottomans attacking against them.Anatolia would, still mostl likely be under turkish rule, homewer a Japan-like sengoku jidai scenario may have erupted as different beyliks trying to reach for absolute power.Even if these beyliks just died on themselves, they would most likely be conquared by the mameluks or even more likely, the golden horde, as they already in our timeline struck the ottomans badly.
The east vs west schism would most likely start getting going again, to the point that a crusade may have been called, towards both the ottomans and against the byzantine, for free clay.
Byzantium would, most likely still cease to exist, but so do the ottomans.Venice would still be walking on a thin line.
>>
Considering the amount of land the mameluks managed to get off from anatolia, if any, they may become a power that would replace the ottomans, homewer they would most likely expand more towards ethiopia and tunis and less likely towards europe.The european powers would still colonize towards the west but would have less of a drive to reach china.
>>
>>552695
then why sail west?
>>
>>552882
As oppose to the vast ocean of Asia?
>>
>>552882
It's because spices were expensive and the West finally had the resources to try to go them themselves. Whether or not there was constant warring in the ME or rampaging Mamluks or Seljuks or Turks or Mongols or scummy merchant states doesn't make a difference in that regard.
>>
>>552695
That's very dismissive to not even consider the closing of the black sea trade as a push factor for breakout.
>>
>>552882
>>552655

why indeed
>>
>>552638
Nothing would have changed. Islam world would still have had the trade routes under control its control that would have driven Europeans to find other trade routes.
>>
>>552638
>fall of Constantinopole led to the Age of Discovery
Top fucking kek
You think Euopeans never would have went west if Byzantium still existed?
>>
>>552638
The only way for Western Europeans not to not colonize The Americas would be if they didn't lose North Africa to the Arab
>>
File: embarassing.png (265 KB, 334x393) Image search: [Google]
embarassing.png
265 KB, 334x393
>>552638
>the loss of Constantinople led to the Age of Discovery
tip top fucking kek
>>
>>552638
>Portuguese fishermen and minor nobles are just fucking around
>"Uhm, yeah guys, heard the T*rks took Constantinople, let's go explore the world"
>>
File: images (2).jpg (3 KB, 114x90) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
3 KB, 114x90
europeans have a tendency to hold the long term power because they're just a superior culture to every other. there's no guns, germs and steel circustantial shit about it.
>>
>>553153
It got closed?
>>
>>554806
If Christianity "had" the trade troots "under its control" nobody would've sailed West? Why is religion so important here?
>>
>>555086
t. insecure eurocuck
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.