[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is God referred to as He (a male)? I'm not some feminist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: 1430142417335.jpg (1 MB, 2800x1800) Image search: [Google]
1430142417335.jpg
1 MB, 2800x1800
Why is God referred to as He (a male)?

I'm not some feminist or anything, but I wish to know because I write a book and this sole piece of information might help me solve a dilemma.
/his/ is obviously the best place to ask.
>>
because all forms of civilization has been lead by men
>>
>>552356
Because human psychology.
And God's characteristics are gender neutral in the hebrew bible.
Speaking of feminism, one of the names of God is:
Elohai Sara, Elohai Rivka, Elohai Leah ve Elohai Rakhe(God of Sarah, Rebecca, Leah, and Rachel)
>>
Because the domestic order maintained by a father is analogous to the cosmic order sustained by God, although actually insisting God really is male somehow is Sunday school-tier
>>
>>552356
I'm not a theologican but I would say that it's because the original man was created in his image, which would make him male
>>
Because patriarchy. Not even memeing right now.
>>
"He" is a placeholder because in the English language (and many others), there is no pronoun for a genderless being.

Would you rather call God "It"? Sounds like an object.
>>
>>552356
God has no gender in Estonian, Mari, Komi and other Uralic languages. Mainly because we don't have the grammatical gender. Meaning this is directly linked with the language you think in.
>>
>>552373
He was actually the gender neutral form in old english, and even today, he is used when a non-object isn't explicitly male or female.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-specific_and_gender-neutral_pronouns#Generic_he
>>
>>552392
actually, if feminists and other SJ faggots were smart, they should have campaigned for making a male only pronoun, and turning he and man into a generic term for a human, instead of retarded xe/xir/whatever or a sterile "person" labeled over everything.
>>
>>552392
Yes, but it's also defined as male so it confuses idiots.

I omitted (but implied) that calling God "she" would be defining God as having a female gender, which is false.

It irks me that so many people base their criticism of religion on their own shortcomings in understanding this particular concept.
>>
Because the English language is shit and has gendered pronouns
>>
>>552366
Something like this OP
>>
>>552372
This. For one fucking time it actually applies. Now hush it before misandrists show up.
>>
>>552356
Wasn't Adam, aka a man, created in God's image?
>>
>>552434
Imagio Dei doesn't have anything to do with that.
It just means you are what Sci-Fi calls "sentient".
>>
"He" is the by-default pronoun. If God referred to himself as "she" it would'be been taken as a basis for gender, while God cannot be classified under any gender. It's just linguistics.

What you will find though is God using "we" as a royal pronoun. Just as a king or a higher rank would use "we have decreed that...."

Anyways, the usage of "he" has nothing to do with gender superiority/inferiority in this case.
>>
File: 1351799153007.jpg (289 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
1351799153007.jpg
289 KB, 1024x640
>>552356
Because either:

>the god in question is said to be an anthropomorphic man
or
>the god in question is given gender by others to help help people understand the relation the god has to them

An example of the former would be the Greek Gods and an example of the latter would be the classical view of the Abrahamic god.
>>
>>552454
I thought Jesus was a man....than again Catholics are basically crypt-Gnostics so maybe not.
>>
>>552521
See the "Dual Natures of Christ"/hypostatic union.
>>
>I write a book
First you will have to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8

Hebrew has gendered words that are arbitrarily male or female. A chair is male, an eye is female, it's the other way around in Romance languages.

It turns out that in Israel there are laws that say a job ad must have the occupation written like this: "waiter/waitress." The adjectives (like "wanted") are also gendered by the way (wanted male/wanted female).

There was no word for "goddess." It just didn't exist. Clearly that means the master plan of the patriarchy is that thick, complex and full of long term vision!

When they wanted to refer to the female deities of the pagan, idolatrous goyim scum, they called them Ashtaroth, plural of Ashtoreth, a word which should be a bit more familar when you could speak of Ishtar, Astarte, Asherah, Atirat, etc.

Before you even joke about writing a book, I will have you know that God does have female aspects in the Kabbalah: Binah, Malkuth, Shekhinah.

Now, as for the image of God business:

(Gen 1:26) And God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. They shall rule the fish of the sea, the birds of the sky, the cattle, the whole earth, and all the creeping things that creep on earth."
(Gen 1:27) And God created man in His image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

You have in both verses saying God creates 'man' (Adam, a singular word) in his image, and immediately after it goes plural: "they" in v. 26 and "male and female he created them" in v. 27.

Surprise, surprise, the word for image is male, the word for likeness is female. The conspiracy of the patriarchs does it again!

Another interesting thing many will point out is Elohim using the plural "us", "our image."

[Kaballah]Behold a plural entity creating a sexually dimorphic species in their image and likeness.[/Kabbalah]
>>
>>552521
>>552532
I would like to add that Cyril of Alexandria had some great writings on this.
>>
>>552356
Because pretty much every non-English language has genders assigned to each word. The ancient Greek or Hebrew word for God probably was of the masculine gender. Therefore, grammatically it would be correct to refer to God as 'He'.
>>
>>552356
>Why is God referred to as He (a male)?
Because then we would call it a Goddess, duh.
>>
because no one would take a goddess seriously hell imagine if Jesus was a girl people would go ''what are you fucking kidding me?''
>>
>>554724
it's not 'a' god, it's God. it's like 'his' name, not a definition.
>>
>>554265
the hebrew god was male and female though most temples were devoted to the male aspect as women didn't pray in the synagogue but did so at home. In christianity the female aspect is changed to Mary. Ironic given that all the evidence suggests she was a foreign whore.
>>
>>552356
Because the Abrahamic God is the only significant god in the Western world, and the story of Christ's parentage makes God explicitly male.
>>
>>552356
>Why is God referred to as He (a male)?
Because this is the History & Humanities board, not the Herstory & Humanities.
>>
I thought the hebrew god was largely based off a male deity in the ancient semetic pantheon.
>>
>>552356
Because god was originally YHWH, the hebrew god of war, with human characteristics like a gender (which was male). Hundreds of years later hebrews started to believe that their god was *the* god of all creation.
>>
>>552550
>When they wanted to refer to the female deities of the pagan, idolatrous goyim scum, they called them Ashtaroth, plural of Ashtoreth, a word which should be a bit more familar when you could speak of Ishtar, Astarte, Asherah, Atirat, etc.

They do the same with male false gods (Baalim). They don't really call them "gods".
>>
>>555206
They do, using the word Elohim, in over 200 times in the Hebrew Bible.

http://biblehub.com/hebrew/430.htm

An example being the "gods whom they have not known" in Deuteronomy 32:17. In that verse, the monotheistic one true God is called Eloha, the polytheistic gods are called Elohim.

Of course, in over 2000 occurences Elohim is indeed used of the one true God, but not always.
>>
>>552365

>Speaking of feminism, one of the names of God is:
Elohai Sara, Elohai Rivka, Elohai Leah ve Elohai Rakhe(God of Sarah, Rebecca, Leah, and Rachel)

I would just like to point out that the אלוה root, which you're conjugating to get "Elohai" means less "God" in the abstract, and more "God that rules over the noun that succeeds the word".

Elohai in front of the biblical matriarchs doesn't imply any sort of feminine qualities to God, simply that He rules over the women as well as the men.
>>
Because God is male
>>
Humans project their human characteristics when creating a deity. This includes gender.
>>
>>552356
Because the early Jews and Christians saw him as a bearded man sitting in the clouds.
>>
>>552356
Active creative aspect is culturally masculine.

Passive creative aspect is feminine.
>>
>>552369
Yeah. That's what I was thinking. Woman was an afterthought.
>>
>>552550
There are two accounts of the Creation myth in the Bible. You quoted the first. In the second one, God crates men from dust and breathes life into him. And only then does he create woman from Adams rib. Then Eve makes Adam eat the forbidden fruit. And God punishes Eve for that by making Adam rule over her.
>>
File: heretics.jpg (81 KB, 504x359) Image search: [Google]
heretics.jpg
81 KB, 504x359
>>552356
Where my Inquisitors at? Get some firewood, this thread is full of fucking heretics.

>ctrl+f
>Shekinah
>>552550
Is it sad that Evangelical Protestantism has gotten so far into Judaical mysticism to where I can't even tell if this guy is a Jewvangelical or just an actual Jew? It's not far from where we're at with people like Haggee to actually start talking about the Kabbalah.

If we were serious about the defense of our faith, people like Haggee would have his soul purified with fire. We would tie him to a pole, pile up his pigdisgusting heretic tomes he calls books around his feet, and carry out an age-old tradition of the faith in purging heresy.
>>
File: mgs.jpg (58 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
mgs.jpg
58 KB, 800x400
>>555622
>There are two accounts of the Creation myth in the Bible. You quoted the first.
Because it is only the first that mentions this "image and likeness of God" business, which applies to both sexes.

The second tells us nothing of God's own gender. When Adam first sees Eve he recognizes they're made of the same stuff: she's bone of his bones, flesh of his flesh. The spirit of God is in both.

>Then Eve makes Adam eat the forbidden fruit. And God punishes Eve for that by making Adam rule over her.
This has nothing to do with God's gender, but let's show the patriarchal conspiracy to all anyway:

1. Teacher (Adam) is charged with the Commandment not to eat of the tree of knowledge from God (Gen 2:16-17)
2. The Student (Eve) is created later (Gen 2:22) and is never given the commandment directly.
3. The Temptation (snaaaaaaake) asks Student whether God commanded not to eat of any tree, meaning he asks Student whether she knows the commandment (Gen 3:1)
4. Student (Eve) incorrectly replies that it is forbidden to eat of AND touch the tree of knowledge (Gen 3:2-3)
5. Teacher never corrects or questions Student, and he himself falls prey to the Temptation as well (Gen 3:4-7)

The message that if you follow the commandments you will survive is the moral of the entire Torah, but rarely does a teacher fuck up this much.

To add to God's word is to subract to it, BTW. Both are guily, more so Adam.

>>555635
>It's not far from where we're at with people like Haggee to actually start talking about the Kabbalah.
"Christian" Cabala did it first, 15th century onwards.

>If we were serious about the defense of our faith, people like Haggee would have his soul purified with fire. We would tie him to a pole, pile up his pigdisgusting heretic tomes he calls books around his feet, and carry out an age-old tradition of the faith in purging heresy.
If he really loved the Jews as much as he claims, he'd convert to Judaism, or become a Noahide.

What he loves is the State of Israel.
>>
>>555859
>*subtract
fug
>>
>>552356
God has no genitalia so it should be called an it, God is an it, we worship its praise and glory glory to the thing calling God.
>>
>>552372
>>552424
No, you're just idiots. Go back to watching your Anita Sarkeesian videos.

>>552356 (OP)
God is called a "heh" in Abrahamic religions because the bible states that man was made first, and made in the likeness/image of God.

Child-birth was also given to Eve as a sin for eating from the tree, while Adam was punished with being a slave to labor and hard work for being her accomplice.

>>555622
Wrong, read my above post for facts.

And actually, there's 3 accounts of the creation myth. Islam, Christianity, and Judaism all have their own spin on it.
>>
>>555864

How could she give birth to the Universe if she had no vagina?

Checkmate misogynists.
>>
>>555882
This world is shit, so he probably created it with his ass.
>>
>>555882

maybe she had a abortion
>>
>>555882

but wait a moment, who fucked her?
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.