[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: thinking.jpg (236 KB, 3600x3043) Image search: [Google]
thinking.jpg
236 KB, 3600x3043
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times but I'm going to go ahead and ask it anyway. Is a Philosophy degree worth my time and money? There's almost no arguing that if I want to earn lots of money there are degrees that are in much higher demand that will almost certainly help me achieve that goal much easier than a Philosophy degree will. So if I was to take a degree in Philosophy it would be for the sake of taking a Philosophy degree and the love of knowledge. However, is it really necessary to take a degree in Philosophy to pursue Philosophy? I don't see myself ever wanting to dedicate my entire life to Philosophy but I would still consider it to be one of the most valuable things in life. I have actually already applied for a Computer Science degree and have already received conditional offers but its not too late for me to change my mind. Computer Science is something that I am also interested in and it will also mean having great graduate prospects.
>>
i'd say start a book club

but most phds don't attend those.
>>
>>551049
Get a good analytical philosophy degree from a top school and be the spawn of the rich and you'll be asked to solve major financial problems and make rich men richer.

I don't think you have the mind for that though.
>>
>>551057
How else can I obtain analytical skills obtained in a Philosophy degree without a Philosophy degree
>>
>>551068
>How else can I obtain analytical skills obtained in a Philosophy degree without a Philosophy degree
Analytical philosophy isn't about being "analytical" as you know it, but about specifying and solving major problems in philosophy through the use of rigorous, even mathematised, language.

As opposed to continental philosophy which actually gets shit done like teaching you who to murder during the revolution.

Analytical philosophers with I:Is get picked up by city banking firms, commercial and forex banks.

Continental philosophers with I:Is get to do a 10 year PhD and then find a job in administration.
>>
>>551049
>is... philosophy... worth my time...?
no
>>
>>551049
Actually becoming a philosophy professor is extremely difficult. Even if you get into a top ten grad program your chances are still only around 60%. Philosophy can be a good degree to get on the side. It looks good because you learn very universal skills, namely reading, clear writing, and critical thinking skills.
>>
>tfw go to a small school that hires mostly alums and could probably easily get a teaching job once I go to grad school
>probably won't, want to work in comics instead
>>
>>551049
no, run away
>>
File: 18912248_p10_master1200.jpg (48 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
18912248_p10_master1200.jpg
48 KB, 300x400
>>551049
>is it worth my time
Yes
>is it worth my money
No
>CS has good prospect
Nice meme. The IT market is saturated.
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 233x206) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 233x206
>>554367
>The IT market is saturated.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.