[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Christian 'Heresies' (Historical)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
File: Cathars-burned-at-the-stake.jpg (149 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
Cathars-burned-at-the-stake.jpg
149 KB, 1440x1080
One of the topics I find most interesting in history is the appearance of these Christian 'heresies' (i.e. deviations from supposedly orthodox thought) since the very beginning.

The Carpocratians, the Borborites/Barbeloites, Valentinians, the Marcionites, the Paulicians, the Bogomils, the Cathars and you could make stretch and even include the various gnostics and even Manicheans into these.

What makes these so fascinating to read about is that we know so very little about them since all their books were their destroyed, and most of what we have are polemics written against them by their enemies. However, we can see most of them had some kind of dualistic worldview, and they seemed to have shared at least a basic belief that the material world was evil and had been created by a demiurge (the 'God' of the Old Testament).

We don't seem to know much else, though, and the Church establishment makes accusations that could certainly be fabricated, but that could also be true (though this isn't very likely).
>>
File: hagia sofia.jpg (49 KB, 406x610) Image search: [Google]
hagia sofia.jpg
49 KB, 406x610
> churchcucks will not worship this
>>
>>758514

The Cathars seemed like an interesting bunch. Rights for women, no marriage, vegetarianism. Too bad they viewed the world as evil.
>>
>>758514
We tend to get the worst aspects of them promoted or even exagerated because the church would not want to portray them in a positive light.

If you look at the stuff that comes out of the Nog Hamadi Library the Gnostics saw the material world as no more 'evil' than the Christians. It was more like a neo-platonic view. The material world is in imitation of the divine, salvation comes through knowledge of the perfect divine realm, allowing complete union with the divine. It's also somewhat similar to a lot of Orthodox theology.
>>
>>758539
Catharism is post-modern society: the religion.

Holier than thou. Check.
Suicidal altruism. Check.
Don't have children. Check.
Hates church dogmas. Check.
Hates power politics. Check.
Hates males. Check.
Eastern religiosity, vegetarianism and non-violence are fashionable. Check.

Fuck them good thing the church slaughtered them all and spared everyone from this shit for a thousand years.
>>
>>758701
Fuck off, Christ-cuck: like the modern renditions of Christianity are in any way better than its heresies...

>Hates males

You're an idiot. We can't even assume any of what you said is true considering the Church destroyed everything concerning them and left behind no verifiable proof of what they actually preached or believed.
>>
File: 565464634.gif (1019 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
565464634.gif
1019 KB, 500x500
All the heresies derives from only one: gnosticism. The greatest enemy of the Church and probably the most powerful worldview on earth, until today.

>rationalism
>enlightement
>idealism
>communism
>liberalism
>new age

These are all branches of the gnostic religion.
>>
>>758514
>Not mentioning Arianism, the first and best heresy
Christ is not God but his creation and trinitarianism is a lie get fucked catholics.
>>
File: CGJung.jpg (3 MB, 2604x3909) Image search: [Google]
CGJung.jpg
3 MB, 2604x3909
>>759064

>rationalism
Descartes

>enlightement
It's true they did have a hand in it. However I think the seed of it can be found in Spinoza and Galleleo

>idealism
Plato, than Kant and later Hegel

>communism
Marx

>liberalism
Just secular Christianity

>new age
Jung and Campbell, although yes both had a lot of their influence from Gnostism

Gnostism is pretty fucking awesome but you are giving them a bit too much credit.
>>
>>759064
Nah bro, gnosticism was virtually erased. Until the Nag Hammadi discoveries there were only Pistis Sophia and a few scattered texts and what could be gathered from church people who wrote against heresies like Irineus.
>>
>>758701
>Hates males. Check.
cathars didn't believe in gender beyond the physical sense, so they couldn't hate males
>>
File: 1453164621016.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1453164621016.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
>>759064
>gnostic religion [sic]
gnosticism isn't a religion
>>
>>759064
>the greatest enemy of the Church

LARPer fuck off, Christianity as a religion isn't real. Christ didn't actually resurrect or physically defy the laws of nature, and neither did the prophets of the OT. Just a bunch of mythmaking and supernatural abilities that became attributed to charismatic to influential charismatic figures.
>>
>>759006
>considering the Church destroyed everything
actually there's a book about a churchman holding conversation with former Cathars about their beliefs,etc
>>
>>759214
>former Cathars

Ah-h, you mean the ones who were forced to convert back to Catholicism on threat of death and torture and forced to wear the Yellow Cross as a mark of shame? Surely, they gave a completely untainted view to their inquisitors.

The truth is, we can only piece together some pieces: the larger part of what the Cathars believed or preached is lost to us.
>>
>>759229
>Surely, they gave a completely untainted view to their inquisitors.
they did, why wouldnt they?

Also, most Cathars converted willfully or just died without passing their beliefs, I mean, there were Cathars teaching and working in universities alongside Catholics, so they werent mass executed as you say
>>
>>759114
males are part of the world, cathars hate the world, ergo cathars are misandrist feminazis

qed
>>
catholocism > *
>>
>>759257
>so they werent mass executed as you say
They were though.
>>
>>759472
Why is that whenever something less than stellar was done by Catholics there is always revisionism?
>>
>>759480
I don't care about pleasing the historical audience >>758701
Good riddance.
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with Arianism. God is the Father, Christ is the Son, and just as in the material life, the Father stands higher than the Son.
>>
File: but that's heresy.jpg (38 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
but that's heresy.jpg
38 KB, 400x400
>>759556
>me after reading this
>>
>>759556
>>759569
>literally believing what the Bible says as being 'true'

Maybe you should take your meds.
>>
>>759114
>Don't believe in genders
How progressive
>>
To be honest, Gnosticism is pretty much right.
>>
I support Marcionism. The Old Testament, namely Jewish supremacism, should be thrown into the trash. The Gospel of Jesus on the other hand, is unbareable. Although it allows for cuckoldry. Come to think of it. Fuck both Testaments.
>>
>>759472
no, the Albigensian crusade did little to stop Catharism
>>
>>759599
Bareable, not unbareable.
>>
Nestorius did nothing wrong.
>>
>>759079
Giving the names of the people who pratised it doesn't mean anything. What are you trying to say?
>>
>>759759
They are the names of the people that started it dummy.
>>
>>759103
>gnosticism was virtually erased
My sides. The name gnosticism was purposely erased, the practices are the same.

>>759120
Agree, it isn't a true religion.

>>759131
Your ignorance won't change the world.
>>
>>759772
And?
>>
>>759775
>ignorance

Luckily, religion in the West is a dying force.
>>
>>760353
Thank God.
>>
>>758533
>worshipping a girl

I'm not a cuck
>>
File: heresies.jpg (183 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
heresies.jpg
183 KB, 960x720
The tiny differences between these cults and how often they led to magnificent bloodshed fascinates me. Have a chart.
>>
File: heresies2.jpg (87 KB, 912x709) Image search: [Google]
heresies2.jpg
87 KB, 912x709
>>760461
Or two.
>>
>>760461
>triclavianism

Can you believe people actually died for that shit? Religion, not even once.
>>
>>760461
>Deism
>Anglicanism
?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.