[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is athiesm about materialism? Why does the human race spend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 14
Is athiesm about materialism?

Why does the human race spend all their money on new technologies and spend their whole life trying to attain objects that are impermanent?

Why do people say being an atheist makes you smarter?

Why do they shut down spiritual topics in public schools? Couldn't they benefit from teachings about spirituality?
>>
>Is athiesm about materialism?
>Why does the human race spend all their money on new technologies and spend their whole life trying to attain objects that are impermanent?
Perhaps you are conflating materialisms.
>>
>>542445
Nah I meant like, if the world generally doesn't believe in afterlife (not sure about statistic) why would they go out of their way to improve technologies and make new buildings when if we only have one life to live, wouldn't helping people and not try killing eachother in war be a good way to go about life?
>>
I think you are confusing between materialism and hedonism
Yes atheism is materialism. Material world is the only truth and anything else is just wishful thinking.
>>
>>542454
>if the world generally doesn't believe in afterlife (not sure about statistic) why would they go out of their way to improve technologies and make new buildings when if we only have one life to live
First off, the same goes for people who believe in an afterlife.

Most people recognize they live for stuff beyond their own beating heart. They live for their genes and memes. It's why parents will give up their lives for their kids and why soldiers will fight and die for their country.
>>
>>542454

> why would they go out of their way to improve technologies and make new buildings when if we only have one life to live,

Because doing so makes life (this one thing you have since there is no afterlife) more comfortable and enjoyable?
>>
>>542454
>why would they go out of their way to improve technologies and make new buildings when if we only have one life to live

having a lasting effect on future generations and achieving something beyond yourself and having something to strive and work towards matters to some.
>>
>>542465
But then what made matter?
>>
>>542471
But where do they go when they die?

>>542480
But what about people who are dying and could use our money ?

>>542482
What happens when there is no human generation
>>
>>542498
are you high?
>>
>>542489
Why do you assume someone made it. It could be that matter was here all or it could be that it manifested before that. There are infinite answers to what happened before the universe.
>>
>>542516
That's what I'm saying, what happened before matter? How did matter come into being if it cannot be created or destoryed
>>
>>542516
I mean matter was here all along or it manifested itself or came from energy or came from another universe. You see there are infinite answers and only limited to what we can imagine.
>>
>>542498
>But where do they go when they die?
Same place they came from before they were born, nowhere.
>>
>>542522
Don't know much about physics but isn't nuclear physics about the correlation between matter and energy.
>>
>>542528
Matter would've needed a consciousness (some implued force) to manifest itself?
>>
>>542532
But we're here now and physically we came from testicles?

>>542539
So is energy matter? Or is it the force of matter?
>>
>>542540
Again you assumed it needed a consciousness. It can be questioned even if there was a first cause does that first cause has consciousness? Is it immortal? Did it die soon after the cause. There are infinite assumptions made by theologians and that's why atheists don't get along with them
>>
OP is putting thought into anything so don't waste any of yours.
>>
>>542544
No energy is not matter. Energy and matter is related.
>>
>>542555
Consciousness, energy or some implied force.

So if matter came into being, it would have needed something before it in order to be.

In order to move, we need energy, but when we die, there is no energy. Where does this energy go?
>>
>>542544
Are you bait. He meant after death we will feel just like how we felt before birth
>>
>>542572
That's what I mean! Energy and matter, so just because we are material bodies, we have an energy that makes us groove.

A table doesn't have energy but a plant does.

We only call it life because there is a surrounding energy that makes beings able to act on their own
>>
>>542580
But isn't the point to end the cycle of rebirth so as not to have to deal with unwanted suffering in the material world?
>>
>>542573
Than k you for confirming my doubts that you are baiting.
>>
>>542589
That was a legit response?
>>
>>542573
Again you are assuming it requires a first cause
>>542584
Energy is the work done. Even tables can have that
>>542587
He said there is no such thing as rebirth. The universe doesn't owe you anything in return for living
>>542596
Yes. Because as >>542569 is saying you are not even trying to legitimate. You are making more and more assumptions
>>
>>542569
*isn't
FTFM
>>
>>542625

>again you are assuming it requires a first cause
Because there is no way matter was just there all the sudden without some energy

>energy is the work done. Even tables can have that
Yeah but a table isn't alive. You can see a plant be alive and die, but not a table.(unless it's made out of wood)

>he said there is no such thing as rebirth. The universe doesn't owe you anything in return for living
He said we would feel like we do at birth?

>Yes. Because as>>542569#is saying you are not even trying to legitimate. You are making more and more assumptions
These aren't assumptions. If anything both sides are assuming assumtions
>>
>>542634
What are your thoughts about this?
>>
seriously OP, stop hogging the joint and pass me whatever Rolling Stones drugs you're smoking.
>>
>>542522

The concept that matter cannot be created or destroyed is often misunderstood. Matter can be converted to or gained from energy, via a relationship that we understand very well on the macro scale but not as well as we'd like on the subatomic scale.

That being said, as far as we understand, matter and energy require space in which to exist. Space and time are intrinsically linked (there's a reason we call it space-time). The history of the universe that we can observe is finite, and as best we can tell, space-time, energy, and matter originated with the Big Bang. There's no way to study or observe "before" the expansion of the universe, and the concept of "before the Big Bang" might not even make any sense, given that it's probably where time, as we understand it, originated.
>>
>>542420
I could believe I'm a brain in a vat and god is just as made up as the perceived material world. But the rationalization for atheism for some is materialism.

>Why does the human race spend all their money on new technologies and spend their whole life trying to attain objects that are impermanent?
Human life is impermanent. There's no proof of a permanent or eternal afterlife. Even your legacy fades into obscurity and distortion.

>Why do people say being an atheist makes you smarter?
They don't? People might, and this is tenuous, say being smart tends to make you an atheist, but very few people say being an atheist makes you smarter.

>Why do they shut down spiritual topics in public schools? Couldn't they benefit from teachings about spirituality?
Humanistic ethics like caring and sharing are just fine. You don't need to make Timmy sharing his toys about god sending him to hell if he doesn't.
>>
>>542651
What makes you think so. There are thousands of scientific hypothesises about what may have happened before the creation of universe. Read them all and you will realize that a creator is not the only answer.
Moving things has work. Not alive things.A crane spends more energy than pliant.
What he meant that we won't feel anything. What we felt before birth is nothing. Our feelings are created by our brains
Yes. But I take a neutral position and says all are likely. However you say that there are only one single thing that can be true.
>>
>>542683
Where does weed come from?

You dealer, then his supplier, then the top guy, then from a grow house, and at first a seed.

What comes before the seed? Where does the seed come from? How did it come into being? What made it matter?
>>
>>542696
Shut up and give me that.
>>
>>542655
That I am not the only one who have fallen for the Op's bait.
>>
>>542690
Time is a measurement though?

Like, okay, going to try and not sound stupid.

>big bang
>all particles are coming into being
>universe constantly expands
>matter forms earth and man (let's just say)

Is it possible the big bang is still expanding? We are just one tiny aspect of measured time?

It's like, what comes before the big bang, and what is outside of the end of ever expanding space
>>
>>542692
Aside from religion, Timmy doesn't have to share if he doesn't want to, but Tommy shouldn't spend all of his money to go to Mars and make a nuclear bomb when he could at least pay for someone too eat and families to get well.

Idk, it just seems like if there isn't some afterlife, and this one life that's it, then why do we make the conditions for others so hard?
>>
>>542716

The universe is still expanding. We've observed that.

I just told you, the questions "what comes before the big bang, and what is outside of the end of ever expanding space" probably don't mean anything, given that the only sort of time and space we can observe were generated during the Big Bang.
>>
>>542694
Simplified, there would be something before matter? Something before the beginning of what we know.

The fact we can move on our own means that we aren't just physical, there is an energy within all living forms of life. Where does the energy go
>>
>>542716
>It's like, what comes before the big bang
We don't know. That doesn't mean that it was god. It's just one of the many things to add to the list of things we don't know.
>>
>>542745

It's called chemical energy. You move because of chemical processes within your body. That energy is dissipated as heat into the air and other substances around you.
>>
>>542741
What's that supposed to mean? "Probably doesn't mean anything"?

That is why science can't prove God exists because "before the big bang doesn't matter"

God would have been before the big bang, and I don't mean a white guy with a beard, there is a source that makes us alive, the original energy that is in all life.

If the big bang "consciously" expanded, then what made it do that?
>>
>>542420
>why do they shut down spiritual topics in public schools
Because they try to avoid matters of faith that no one can agree on, there's no single correct, objective way to teach it so they (rightfully) don't.
>>
>>542754
The big bang was a part of God?

>>542761
We have life because we are energy. There is a source of this energy
>>
>>542732
>Aside from religion, Timmy doesn't have to share if he doesn't want to
Maybe if you're a sociopath and lack common human emotions like sympathy, empathy, and altruism and completely lack a conscience, then maybe you need to believe there is a god who will punish you.

Are you saying religious people are sociopaths with no conscience?

>but Tommy shouldn't spend all of his money to go to Mars and make a nuclear bomb when he could at least pay for someone too eat and families to get well.
That's a statement most non-religious people
>>
>>542772
I think they could give a few insights for students.

Especially considering they only teach about physical things and history
>>
File: 1451503935951.jpg (58 KB, 960x885) Image search: [Google]
1451503935951.jpg
58 KB, 960x885
>>542471
>they live for their memes
I know I do.
>>
>>542779
I said aside from religion.
>>
>>542763
>consciously expanded
The way a rock consciously rolls down a hill?
>>
>>542787
So you're a sociopath and rely on religion to keep you on the straight and narrow.
>>
>>542793
Who pushes the rock?

>>542796
I said aside from religion
>>
>>542763

Living things are just very complicated piles of contained chemical reactions.

There's no "divine spark" that lets you think or move your arms and legs. Your body breaks down food into sugars that it uses to generate adenosine triphosphate, which is used as a source of chemical potential energy to run almost every vital process in your cells and body.
>>
>>542806
Chemical reactions are material.

I mean things that aren't matter, energy. The divine spark.

No chemicals
>>
>>542775

It's called metabolism. You intake food which your body processes for useful chemicals that it can extract energy from.

Go take a biology class or something.
>>
Why to religious people thing morals and ethics derive from religion? It's quite obviously the other way around. Religion took humanistic morals and ethics and codified them, unless you want to argue social primates have rudimentary religion that tells them basic right and wrong.

There's a pragmatic reason to appeal to divine authority, so your specific set of morals and ethics can not be questioned by rational thought. It also promises invisible sky daddy will enforce the rules, even when you can't.
>>
>>542818
No I mean like, if we are people on the outside, and there is a soul on the inside, and that's the reason why we can move.

Just like the big bang, like there was something before it and something made it bang big
>>
>>542832
think*
>>
>>542814

There's nothing aside from chemicals. Nothing except for energy and matter.

People have studied living things for lifetimes upon lifetimes and there is no indication that anything but matter and energy is needed to compose a living organism.
>>
>>542832
I'm not talking about the invisible sky daddy.

I am talking about the world that is atheistic that is trying to land on Mars and make bombs and not feed hungry people.
>>
File: 1449865809620.png (80 KB, 226x233) Image search: [Google]
1449865809620.png
80 KB, 226x233
>>542780
Well yeah, they teach what people can actually agree on existing. I'm not making a theological statement one way or another, but imagine the bitching and moaning from parents if schools tried teaching their children spiritual concepts different from their own.
>>
>>542840
Where are these studies? Not chemicals, not matter, pure energy.

A thought makes us type, because we want to translate our energy into words.

Things beyond chemicals, because chemicals are matter, and what came before chemicals and matter?
>>
>>542799
>Who pushes the rock?
Why does there need to be a who? Erosion from wind and rain made the rock no longer stable.

Are you going to say who makes the wing and the rain now?

>I said aside from religion
Are you a literal retard that thinks atheists are soulless robots with no emotions, and one has to believe in god to have feefees and a conscience? You are quite literally a sociopath.
>>
>>542841
Why does invisible skydaddy make the world such an unjust and unfair place?
>muh trials and tribulations
>>
>>542834

The reason you can move is because long chains of molecules inside your muscle cells undergo chemical reactions and slide against each other to shorten the overall length of the muscle itself.
>>
>>542842
Why doesn't the world want to hear about God? Their preconception of what God is is based on the Bible and not experience. They only use their brain.

>>542850
But where does the rock come from? What about the hill? What came before matter?

I said aside from religion though because it implies what atheists think is the boogyman
>>
>>542420
That's a cool dragon
>>
>>542856
It's not all bad. We make our own problems and blame God sometimes even though He's probably like "really dude you got yourself into this"

>>542860
What's in between the molecules?
>>
>>542861
>But where does the rock come from? What about the hill? What came before matter?
There are lots of explanations, at some point that will come down to something I don't know. That doesn't mean it's god, it just means I don't know. I don't know who you are, and who is making these posts, that doesn't mean it's god behind the keyboard.

>I said aside from religion though because it implies what atheists think is the boogyman
That's arguing in bad faith. You're blaming atheism for human shortcomings, and you're pretending to take the stance of religion when you're just using it to attempt to blame atheism for things.
>>
>>542867

Some energy and virtual particles.
>>
>>542867
>dude your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-gandaddy really shouldn't have eaten that apple. You really got yourself into this.
>>
File: 1449724969266.jpg (86 KB, 500x530) Image search: [Google]
1449724969266.jpg
86 KB, 500x530
>>542861
>Why doesn't the world want to hear about God?
Because no one can agree on what that means and bring any evidence that supports their position.
>Their preconception of what God is is based on the Bible and not experience.
I hate to break it to you familia but no one has any actual confirmed experience with god, unless you take shit like the bible literally.
>They only use their brain.
What a novel concept.
>>
>>542880
I guess atheism and religion both have their short-comings.

>>542889
Energy and particles. Spirit and matter

>>542894
It's like I can't tell you how good queso is with broccoli but you have to try it for yourself

>claims
>evidence

Haha. It is hard to give evidence and logic about something that is transcendental of the brain.
>>

No, it's about lack belief in a god, nothing more
>>
>>542834

I take it back.

You might actually be too stupid to benefit from any more school. Please don't go inflict yourself on a university professor. Live a simple life and die in obscurity without poisoning too many young minds with your particular flavor of idiot.
>>
>>542923
But if there is no God then there are only materials
>>
>>542934

>might

What's your favorite flavor of idiot?
>>
>>542917
>It's hard to give evidence and logic
And that's exactly why people don't want to hear it. People tend to prefer ideas on the whole that have some sort of basis in reality.
>>
>>542938
>implying materials exist
I bet you derived that from your 5 "senses"
>>
>>542958
Beyond the senses, beyond matter
>>
>>542970
How do you "know" anything exists beyond your "senses"?
>>
Atheism doesn't entail anything other than not believing in a deity. I find it amazing how many people are too dumb to understand this. You can be an atheist and a nihilist, or a solipsist, or a secular humanist or an egalitarian or whatever else tickles your balls.
>>
>>542976
>whatever else tickles your balls.
If god is tickling your balls are you still an atheist?
>>
>>542974
Everything that is has a before.

You meet someone, you can get to know everything about them, but what was before them and their actual past experiences you can't reach.

Before a table, there is a tree, and before the tree there was a seed. What is before the seed?

>>542976
I just want to point out that in secular humanity, as to why if there are people who are suffering, why does the top class keep spending all this money and get into useless political debates when there are clearly people who could use the resources we take for granted?

Not the "common atheist" but the higher class people who rule the world only to indulge in material life. If this is their one life, why do they not send an outreach to those in need.
>>
>>542994
>Everything that is has a before.
>You meet someone, you can get to know everything about them, but what was before them and their actual past experiences you can't reach.
>Before a table, there is a tree, and before the tree there was a seed. What is before the seed?

But that's assuming the material world exists. You only "know" what your "senses" tell you.

>I just want to point out that in secular humanity, as to why if there are people who are suffering, why does the top class keep spending all this money and get into useless political debates when there are clearly people who could use the resources we take for granted?
Because not everyone that exists is a secular humanist, and especially people at the top, tend to be some variety of sociopath and often do claim to be part of a religion, which is how they got there in the first place.

>If this is their one life, why do they not send an outreach to those in need.
Because it's their life, not other people's lives. Sympathy and empathy doesn't mean you value others more than yourself.
>>
>>542990
I guess, if you think it isn't god but a fairy or something.
>>
atheism is a religion to the left ,as jihad is to islam,
>>
File: 1451586277184.jpg (69 KB, 562x530) Image search: [Google]
1451586277184.jpg
69 KB, 562x530
>>543056
Did that comparison make sense to you in your head?
>>
>>543056
1) Atheism originated before the left-right distinction existed.
2) The left and right have never been, are not and will never be meaningful concepts.
3)
>atheism is a religion
4) Wew lad.
>>
>>542420
Atheism is secular Judaism.
>>
>>542420

Nah, anon.

It is based on lack of evidence, coming from any metaphysical point of view.
>>
File: 760029144.jpg (29 KB, 332x499) Image search: [Google]
760029144.jpg
29 KB, 332x499
>>543266

Yeah, yeah.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+3:2
>>
>>543304
Atheism is secular judaism. Marx's philosophy dick was ridden because it is a vantage point for insane theories that can't work. Psychoanlysis is used because it gives a vantage point form which Jews can destroy christian-judean values through pointless jargon.
>>
>>542420
I'm an atheist but my Christian father had a pretty good response to this. When someone accuses another person of being 'greedy' or 'materialistic' ask them how much of their money they have given away. This will tell you if they really believe what they are saying about greed or whether they are just looking for something to complain about.
>>
File: implying.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
implying.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>543056
>>543266
>>543320
>>>/pol/
>>
File: 1384730086375.jpg (8 KB, 255x247) Image search: [Google]
1384730086375.jpg
8 KB, 255x247
>>543320

Marxism?

Physcoanalysis?

WTF are you on about?

Is your point is "you are a Freudian Marxist or the creator of the Universe is a flying Palestinian carpenter who turned into a zombie"?
>>
>>543360
My point, dear pinko, is that Atheism is about the same shit-bag communists and other liberal/leftists niggers carry under their breast (logical positivism, materialism, hedonism, communism, pro-LGBT, pro-immigration, etc. etc. etc.)
It was never about whether a God existed or not, but the desire to achieve the consequences of a godless state (leftism, basically).
For this, the Jew employs many tools, including atheism.
>>
File: 1450219433332.jpg (11 KB, 250x247) Image search: [Google]
1450219433332.jpg
11 KB, 250x247
>>543370
Please continue.
>>
>>543379
Is he the same guy that was talking about ARYANID RACES in all caps yesterday?
>>
>>543370

>liberal
>leftist
>pinko
>immigration
>hedonism
>communism
>LGBT

WTF?

How's that acid going, dude?

I am center- right.

When did not believing in flying carpenters become linked to whatever random position you wanted assign it?

It is pretty clear you are struggling with the difference between reality and rants.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-echochambers-28537149
>>
No it's about a lack of belief.
Is baldness about looking like a porn star?
>>
File: wew lad.png (26 KB, 200x229) Image search: [Google]
wew lad.png
26 KB, 200x229
>>543370
>why can't I hold all these buzzwords.
>I don't like [insert concept], that must mean the [insert ethnic group I don't like] like it.
>taking the left and right as serious concepts.
>pushing concepts you dislike together even though they contradict each other
WEW LAD
>>
>>543379
Eventually though, the Communist Jew doesn't really follow this type of ideology because he has a "correct" point of view on things whereas us Goyim are stuck in millenia old ideology. It isn't the case of a bunch of "tolerant", "progressive", "humanist" ""intellectuals"" who wish to guide humanity towards the next step.

No, such Jews do exist, and they are seldom found among the ranks of the classical leftist Jew, because the leftist Jew doesn't care about his Jewry as a /pol/tard would like to think. The left jew carries the mark of Cain in the form of pure hatred towards all existence. He lives to undermind christian-judean societies not out of desire for the future, but for its destruction. They are the incarnation of satan.
>>
>>543370
well then
>>
File: 32578658998.jpg (55 KB, 991x902) Image search: [Google]
32578658998.jpg
55 KB, 991x902
>>543370
>It was never about whether a God existed or not
>>
File: mediocre.gif (2 MB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
mediocre.gif
2 MB, 500x333
>>543056
>>543266
>>543320
>>543370
>>543405
>>
File: 1439868320130.gif (725 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1439868320130.gif
725 KB, 200x150
>>543405
>He lives to undermind christian-judean societies not out of desire for the future, but for its destruction.
>>
File: Ben_Garrison_Laughing.jpg (7 KB, 222x225) Image search: [Google]
Ben_Garrison_Laughing.jpg
7 KB, 222x225
>>543405

I've spent months primarily posting on /pol/ and I have never seen anything this hilarious, please keep going, tell us more about Satan.
>>
>>543433
Well, you should know that there are conscious spirits that have served as guides for humanity throughout history.
Pagan religions are the results of such impulse, and Christianity is the result of what I call the Christ spirit.

Satan or Yehova, the embodiment of materialism (or the spirit of materialism) is the patron guide of Judaism and Jewry, and though it has been disguised by all those terms academia has created (refer to my top post where I mention the word pinko) it is still fundamentally the same Will to Death Yehova embodies.
>>
>>542420

The religious are far more materialistic.

They all promise a real, physical reward, and the idea that your reward could be helping someone else without getting anything in return is offensive to them. If you tell them this is how the universe is, they claim that nothing would stop them acting immorally, only a physical reward is enough to make them act morally.
>>
>>543459

That was boring.
>>
ITT Schizophrenia
>>
>>543469
>Jesus answered, "My kingdom doesn't belong to this world. If my kingdom belonged to this world, my followers would fight to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. My kingdom doesn't have its origin on earth." John 18:36
>>
>>542454
Its basically that people are selfish in that regard which causes people to try to get the best possible for themselves even if it fucks up others.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.