[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any of you guys know any ancient languages and know how to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: sabean.jpg (194 KB, 580x385) Image search: [Google]
sabean.jpg
194 KB, 580x385
Do any of you guys know any ancient languages and know how to speak them?

>pic related its sabean script
>>
It's possible to read hanzi from long ago.
The one true advantage over alphabet.
>>
Ge'ez and barely, it's been supplanted by liturgical Hebrew in my community though
>>
I think I know quite a bit about Proto-Indo-European. AMA.
>>
>>532801
I speak caveman
>>
>>533749
>AMA

As much as I hate Ribbit being used as a bogeyman to ad hominem anons you don't like with, Redditors really come here. And if you just unironically said "AMA", then you are probably one of them.
>>
>>533782
>tfw I've tried to learn proto-Afro-Asiatic

I really recommend it anons, feels good to know a confirmed language and religion of people who lived in times before the agriculture happened

Also is there anything known about proto-Niger-Congo, or is the family too much of a clusterfuck to deduce even a few certain facts? If Afro-Asiatic is so old, then surely Niger-Congo must be even more ancient?
>>
>>532801
sanskrit
>>
>>534072
Niger-Congo is agricultural.
>>
Hopefully i'll improve my Latin this year
>>
>>532801
I speak and write in Syriac Aramaic, 2,000 year old language.
>>
>>532801
I took two years of Latin in Highschool. I was grammatically quite good at it. Though, my memory of vocabulary was trash. We translated cool poetry from Ovid and would have I taken a third year, Caesar too.
>>
>>533782
كيف احوالك؟
>>
>>534985

I'm curious: How, if at all, is that different to the sort of Aramaic used in the Gemara?
>>
>>535022

يا انون، شاكو ماكو؟
>>
>>534048
The number of fancy words you used, combined with your garbage grammar, and how much you care if someone here uses Reddit, kind of make me hurt inside.
>>
>>535022
How are you, I think, but it looks funny to me
>>535229
Can't figure this one out just by reading it, I mostly just know Lebanese dialect, and without the Harakat it's even harder
>>
>>535301

It says "shakoo makoo" which means "what's up?" in Iraqi. Sounds cool

I'm pretty deficient on dialect too lol
>>
>>535301

In MSA, the standard form of "How are you" is

كيف حالك؟

for second person singular,

كيف حالكم؟

for second person plural, and

كيف الحال؟

in general, not specifying any pronouns
>>
>>535021
>would have I taken a third year

Why didn't you?
>>
>>534048
Reddit has always been here. This site is not your secret club.
>>
I speak Latin with ease, but being Italian I don't think it counts tbqh
>>
>>532801
>Do any of you guys know any ancient languages and know how to speak them?

I know quite a bit of Ancient Greek because I study Classics.

But since it's a literary language I don't worry too much about speaking it.(Even though I probably could).

>ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς
>>
>>535032
The Talmud is written in Hebrew, which essentially has the same alphabet as Syriac but Syriac didn't exist until centuries later. I don't know Classical Aramaic but I know its the parent language to Syriac. There are Akkadian loan words im Syriac too.

Zuzu - Akkadian
Zuzeh - Syriac
(It means half a shekel.)
>>
File: Compare_Arabic_Hebrew_etc.png (15 KB, 494x280) Image search: [Google]
Compare_Arabic_Hebrew_etc.png
15 KB, 494x280
>>535032
ܫܠܡܐ
Shlama (Greetings in Syriac) like Shalom in Hebrew
>>
>>533749
How do you say "I am a cuckold"?
>>
>>535900
No but ama didn't originate on 4chan so it shouldn't belong, I don't care where you came from but be original if anything
>>
>>533749
What is the link between someone who knows quite a bit about Proto-Indo-European history and the measles vaccine?

>>535900
If you want to use Reddit, use Reddit don't come here and cringe the place up then not expect to be attacked
>>
>>533747
Even then we don't know the exact sounds for the letters on estimates based off the languages descendants (Tigrinya and Tigre) and other guesses.
There's letters that are redundant since they make the same sound but we don't know why though.
>>
>>535968
>The Talmud is written in Hebrew

"Of the two main components of the Babylonian Talmud, the Mishnah is written in Mishnaic Hebrew. Within the Gemara, the quotations from the Mishnah and the Baraitas and verses of Tanakh quoted and embedded in the Gemara are in Hebrew. The rest of the Gemara, including the discussions of the Amoraim and the overall framework, is in a characteristic dialect of Jewish Babylonian Aramaic. There are occasional quotations from older works in other dialects of Aramaic, such as Megillat Taanit. Overall, Hebrew constitutes somewhat less than half of the text of the Talmud.

This difference in language is due to the long time period elapsing between the two compilations. During the period of the Tannaim (rabbis cited in the Mishnah), the spoken vernacular of Jews in Judaea was a late form of Hebrew known as Rabbinic or Mishnaic Hebrew, whereas during the period of the Amoraim (rabbis cited in the Gemara), which began around 200 CE, the spoken vernacular was Aramaic. Hebrew continued to be used for the writing of religious texts, poetry, and so forth."

tl;dr - The majority of the Talmud is actually Aramaic.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.