[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: underrated thinkers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 9
File: George_Grant.jpg (13 KB, 200x272) Image search: [Google]
George_Grant.jpg
13 KB, 200x272
ITT: underrated thinkers
>>
File: Simone_Weil.jpg (28 KB, 450x416) Image search: [Google]
Simone_Weil.jpg
28 KB, 450x416
>>
File: ellul.jpg (44 KB, 640x409) Image search: [Google]
ellul.jpg
44 KB, 640x409
>>
File: Oakeshott.jpg (173 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
Oakeshott.jpg
173 KB, 900x1200
>>
File: Ernst_Junger.jpg (13 KB, 300x274) Image search: [Google]
Ernst_Junger.jpg
13 KB, 300x274
His late works are sadly neglected.
>>
File: Jmaistre.jpg (52 KB, 683x899) Image search: [Google]
Jmaistre.jpg
52 KB, 683x899
>>530900
>>
File: 220px-Vilfredo_Pareto.jpg (14 KB, 220x308) Image search: [Google]
220px-Vilfredo_Pareto.jpg
14 KB, 220x308
>>530919
What can you tell me about his later works?
>>
>>530919
If it makes you feel any better Eumeswil is on my reading list.
>>
>>531009
It's surrealist, subversive, antiauthoritarian, existentialist, irrationalist and arguably neo-Luddite. If his early work was shaped by his experience of the First World War, his late work was shaped by his experience the Second—particularly of the Nazi regime. It retains some elements of his earlier work though, such as his heroicism, which takes the form of vanguardism (albeit of a non-Marxian sort).
>>
File: knut hamsun.jpg (4 MB, 2294x3300) Image search: [Google]
knut hamsun.jpg
4 MB, 2294x3300
>>531048
Sounds good.
I remember reading On the Marble Cliffs a long time ago, which really shows his disillusionment with NS Germany. I didn't realize he was so prolific after the war too.

Pic related is another very relevant author that's sadly not read today as much.
>>
>>531009
>What can you tell me about his later works?
>>
>>531387
ayтизм?
>>
>>530925
Where should I start if I'm interested in reading his works?
>>
>>533326
Considerations on France, most definitely. Then the Generative Principle of Political Constitutions, then On the State of Nature. Those are his three major works I would say. Once you're done with them and feel like going a step further I would recommend The Saint Petersburg Dialogues, but this is more about theology than politics per se; it's a great reading regardless.
Regardless of what you read I would also suggest you find a good secondary source to follow up on, since some contextualization and systematization might be in order (there are plenty of good secondary works, just stay away from Isaiah Berlin).

Remember also that Joseph de Maistre might seem pretty odd and out there, especially at first reading, but he thought very, very hard on every line that he put down and nothing is gratuitous or exaggerated.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.