[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: great moments in christian history >After hearing of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Diego_de_Landa.jpg (99 KB, 443x439) Image search: [Google]
Diego_de_Landa.jpg
99 KB, 443x439
ITT: great moments in christian history

>After hearing of Roman Catholic Maya who continued to practice idol worship, he ordered an Inquisition in Mani ending with a ceremony called auto de fé. During the ceremony on July 12, 1562, a disputed number of Maya codices (according to Landa, 27 books) and approximately 5,000 Maya cult images were burned.

>"We found a large number of books in these characters and, as they contained nothing in which were not to be seen as superstition and lies of the devil, we burned them all, which they (the Maya) regretted to an amazing degree, and which caused them much affliction."

>Only three pre-Columbian books of Maya hieroglyphics (also known as a codex) and, perhaps, fragments of a fourth are known to have survived.

>Scores of Maya nobles were jailed pending interrogation, and large numbers of Maya nobles and commoners were subjected to examination under "hoisting". During hoisting, a victim's hands were bound and looped over an extended line that was then raised until the victim's entire body was suspended in the air. Often, stone weights were added to the ankles or lashes applied to the back during interrogation.
>>
File: image.jpg (305 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
305 KB, 640x1136
>>526706
>>
catholics aren't christian though
>>
>>526861
> meme
>>
>>526861
So are Protestants as >>526721 shows
>>
>great moments in history
>can't persuade people to adopt your religion so just destroy things you don't agree with
I sure hope this is bait
>>
>>527388
>just destroy things you don't agree with
so you agree with human sacrifice and sexual libertinism?
>>
>>527396
I fail to see why this kind of treatment of anyone who opposed them was necessary, and I really struggle to see how an empire that enslaved millions can take any sort of moral high ground
>>
>>527422
>and I really struggle to see how an empire that enslaved millions can take any sort of moral high ground
like the aztec empire?
>>
>>526706
>all that lost history
>>
>>527426
>two wrongs make a right
Lel what a child
>>
Is this real or is it another meme?

Honestly, there is so much myth around "the Spanish Inquisition" that I've closed my ears to most of it. Protestants cling to it because they need to demonize Rome in order to legitimize themselves and then there are butthurt Jews who cry about "muh expulsion" even they deserved it for opening the doors (sometimes literally) to the Muslim invaders.
>>
>>527501
its real, but he got in trouble for doing that
>>
>>527426
Kill yourself, sweetie
>>
File: 8d0.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
8d0.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
>>526706
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.