[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did such a pointless war as WW1 occur. I sometimes get on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 28
File: fuckthisgayearth.jpg (75 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
fuckthisgayearth.jpg
75 KB, 601x601
Why did such a pointless war as WW1 occur.
I sometimes get on the verge of tears when thinking about the good men who gave up their lives only to die in a shitty trench due to chemical weapons, inhumane conditions or doing the lemming run to towards enemy machine guns lined diagonally (no chance they would survive this.)
>>
>>523824
Then man up fag

Europeans were so based that the only thing that could destroy them was themselves
>>
Most soldiers probably enjoyed the war. It must have been freaking epic, too bad our generation now is a bunch of fucking pussies.
>>
>>523824
It needs to happen again desu

Von Moltke the Elder was right
>>
File: 1438429690852.png (64 KB, 216x197) Image search: [Google]
1438429690852.png
64 KB, 216x197
>>523833
>>523840
>>
>>523826
>>523833
>>523840

If anything ever does come up again will you three volunteer?
>>
>>523851
Gladly. It is the duty of men to fight in the titanic struggles of nations.

Also if you volunteer you won't get drafted into a shit regiment with people who will get you killed
>>
File: j.jpg (128 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
j.jpg
128 KB, 900x675
>>523862

>It is the duty of men to fight in the titanic struggles of nations.
>>
If only the anglos wouldn't be such warmongering cunts.
>>
There hadn't been a major war European war since Napoleon and since Europeans love to kill eachother it was just a matter of time until it exploded into conflict. The world had already been colonized by 1914 so European aggression could only turn in on itself. The alliance system at the time dragged major powers into the war and none of them were willing to capitulate once it had started.

The technology of the time had seen rapid increases in small arms firepowers and artillery but almost no advancement in vehicles. How do you break a machine gun defence with rifles and no take supports? You don't. Couple this with leaders who had spent their entire careers fighting savages with sticks and you get one massive strategic cluserfuck. As for individual soldiers and their willingness to fight, they had all been told the other side was evil incarnate and that giving up would result in the destruction of their country and lives.
>>
>>523824

Really beginning to hate "the First World War was pointless threads."

From a British perspective, unless you wanted to lose your position as global hegemon, there was no alternative to war.
>>
>>523824
>Why did such a pointless war as WW1 occur.

Colonialism began to eat itself to death... That shit was inevitable man.
>>
>>523880
Well while I defend my country I suppose you're free to keep posting on an Indonesian falconry forum
>>
>>523891
So how are you explaining it now?
When will europeans explode now?
I don't see any european country itching for war right now...
>>
>>523904
>I don't see any european country itching for war right now...
That's because they utterly destroyed themselves after the second world war. There's nothing left for them to kill eachother over.
>>
>>523904

Patience, Senpai.
>>
>>523898
>>523893
I know why it happened.But..
The cause of war sounds really fucking dumb when you put it next to such a tremendous horror and tragedy.
>>
>>523910
There's always Balkans.
>>
>>523883
Fuck off Hans, I feel like you have a million other problems you should be worrying about
>>
>>523893
>Ended up losing it anyways as a result of going to war

Good hustle good effort, Nigel.
>>
>>523915
Which part of it can even fight?
Croatia,Bosnia and Serbia despite warmongering for quarter a century since last war are now fucking pussified countries (with the advent of technology of course).
Macedonia,Albania,Romania and Bulgaria don't seem to give a shit anymore about each other and are more worried about feeding its own people.
None of these countries have good armies and none of them have the needed resources to even start one.
>>
File: Bs2D0FnCMAA1kIW.jpg (60 KB, 576x399) Image search: [Google]
Bs2D0FnCMAA1kIW.jpg
60 KB, 576x399
Pointless? It might have been brutal, bloodied and a conflict where people had all but complete disregard for human life, but it was absolutely not "pointless".

It was always in Europe's nature, that when a force(s) threatens to upset status quo or a "delicate" balance of power between the European states, it would result inf a conflict of varying scales.

I do agree however, it is a tragedy that many good men have to perish to protect the political interest of their country and even more, I lament for the generations which are subsequently left fatherless.
>>
File: ww1-german-423552.jpg (41 KB, 590x350) Image search: [Google]
ww1-german-423552.jpg
41 KB, 590x350
>>523824
>he believes the 'war is hell' narrative
grow up
>>
>>523926

The Empire was actually bigger after WW1. The failure to enforce the Treaty of Versailles was Britain's greatest mistake.
>>
>>523914

They didn't know it was going to get THAT bad. Look up the newspapers from that time. Everyone thought the war would be over by Christmas.
>>
>>523862
So I take it you did tours in Afghanistan and Iraq, then?
Tell us where you were stationed.
>>
>>523926

nigga the Empire was at its greatest extent in 1926 and we got something like 33% more territory after the end of WWI
>>
>>523935
>Hurr durr dying in a trench is so manly
Spot the 17 year old COD player. At least your fat ass could act as a meat shield.
>>
>>523893
>"I say it looks as if we may soon lose our status as big dick on the block, time to plunge an entire continent into a war the likes of Wichita the world has never seen!"
>loses empire and status less than 30 years later anyways
I'm starting to think there is something to that eternal Anglo meme
>>
>>523949

Are you fucking dense?

Germany started the war when they gave Austro-Hungary a blank cheque to deal with Serbia. They knew this risked a European War but still did it anyway.

Britain didn't have a choice, they had to intervene to preserve the balance of power.
>>
>>523940
>>523937
The Empire was an economic wreckage after the war compared to what it was before
>>
>>523959
Can you explain the blank cheque more? I keep hearing about it, but it seems like A-H was the more war-mongering of the two. Germany just said they'd back em up to beat up Serbia. Was total war in mind when Germany mobilized?

The Schlieffen plan then fucked everything up. Did Germany not know that Belgium was allied with Great Britain?
>>
>>523994
Germany were the ones who told AH to be aggressive.

Germany wanted a European war before Russia had time to modernize.

Ironically, they achieved that particular foreign policy goal. Russia is still a backwards shithole, and Germany is leagues ahead.
>>
>>523949

>time to plunge an entire continent into a war

Yeah it was really our fault that the Germans invaded Belgium
>>
>>523862
this is true of someone wars but not ww1
being a 1914 volunteer was the worst thing for your survival rate, being a fresh 1916/1917 conscript meant there wasn't enough war for you to die in
>>
>>523996
Ah ok. I didn't know that Germany was advising A-H that way. I thought they only promised to help them out (at full force).

Thanks, anon.
>>
>>523931
there is always

ISIS

http://jihadology.net/2015/06/04/al-%E1%B8%A5ayat-media-center-presents-a-new-video-message-from-the-islamic-state-honor-is-in-jihad-a-message-to-the-people-of-the-balkans/
>>
>>523994
In my class we were taught it as
Germany: "We'll back you up if anything goes wrong!"
But A-H took it as: "Sweet, Germany gave us permission to invade :DD"
>>
>>524012
THat's how I was taught as well which is why I've always been confused about Germany taking all the blame after the fact.
>>
>>523931
these days the most "warlike" are those least capable of 21st century combat
It ain't about martial spirit these days
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>524010
just let them come, we'll let allah sort them out.

we didn't have a good war in years
>>
>>523862

>falling for the nationalism prank

Good boy, fight to preserve my business interests.
>>
File: 1449959982774.jpg (1 MB, 2036x1523) Image search: [Google]
1449959982774.jpg
1 MB, 2036x1523
>>523880
but that opinion is the opposite of fedora-ness

to attack the nation, duty, tradition, etc. are stuff for the fedora
>>
>>524037
>nationalism prank

You kikes are becoming so transparent around here.

inb4 >>>/pol/
>>
>>524005
Dont believe that guy, he doesn't know shit about the First World War.

Although there were people in Germany who favored a war before Russia could mobilize, the blank check actually ment that IF any great power declared on A-H, Germany would back them up. But indeed, like >>524012 said, A-H took it the wrong way and invaded. This was also a cause because one of the few people [Franz Ferdinand] who was against a war with Serbia was killed and couldn't stop Conrad von Hotzendorf [Austrian chief of staff] from declaring a war on Serbia.
>>
>>524056
Duurrr, i'll call you a kike, therefore i'm right.

Solid critique, full of insight into the point being made there m8.
>>
File: SaiyanBar8.png (102 KB, 270x203) Image search: [Google]
SaiyanBar8.png
102 KB, 270x203
>>524036
serbs and their lust for war
>>
File: killurself.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
killurself.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
>>524056

>in denial that you're shitty ideology was invented by the elites of your country to make you do things without having to force you
>>
>>524078
we just hope this time NATO ain't going to support them as last time, but quite frankly we ain't counting on that.

>also goku ain't got shit on me
>>
>>523833
Please read up a bit on WWI before making posts like this.
Sitting in a trench for days on end while being shelled/shot at by the enemy isn't very epic. Soldiers don't enjoy war as much as you think.
>>
>>523937
>dying stars expand before they collapse
>>
File: Carlton cosplays as a european.jpg (29 KB, 364x457) Image search: [Google]
Carlton cosplays as a european.jpg
29 KB, 364x457
>>523824
I just thought the way it started was kinda shitty. The duke essentially got killed by a radical, who in turn only had a real shot of completing his mission if the driver didn't fuck up.

This guy technically started WWI.
>>
>>524103
Australians loved the war. Then again they didn't sit in the trench.
>>
>>524016
Germany was the only major power left on the central side that hadn't fragmented already, so they took the brunt of the shit.
>>
>>524462
Austria's plan was to occupy the Serbs after the Ottomans disintegrated. Serbs forming their own state would bring other Slavs in Austro-Hungary to fight for their own. They managed to occupy the Serbs in Bosnia, but Serbs on the other side of the river managed to establish their own state before Austria could act without any political repercussions. They just waited for a good cause to attack. Princip gave them one, so they attacked, and manage to destroy their own empire in the process.
>>
>>523862
you're either a fat fuck or a skinny manlet and leaving your house is a titanic struggle for you
>>
File: Vojvoda Pavle Jurisic - Sturm.jpg (142 KB, 940x768) Image search: [Google]
Vojvoda Pavle Jurisic - Sturm.jpg
142 KB, 940x768
>>524534
A lot of Slavs also, especially Slovaks, Sorbs (Lusatian Serbs as they call themselves) and Czechs, as well as Croats, that were sent to fight against the Serbs in WW1 by Austro-Hungary, deserted and joined the Serbian ranks. Austro-Hungary started sending Slavs to fight against Italy when they noticed.

One Sorb joined the Serbian ranks even in the time of the liberation against the Ottomans and became one of the most important Serbian generals in WW1. (picrelated)

Different times then.
>>
>>523964
>>523940
WW1 begat 2. So no, the Empire signed its own death warrant when it went full retard in 1914
>>
>>523833
hello walt
>>
>>523959

It was Russia who gave Serbie carte blance in the first place. They who financed and supported insurgent movements in exactly the same way they are doing now.

In a sense, WWI was pointless, because the practices that started the war were never stopped.
>>
>>523824

It never occurred to us that a massive web of mutual retaliation treaties could bite us in the ass.
>>
>>523935
how many wars have you fought in?
>>
>>523891
>Europeans love to kill eachother it was just a matter of time until it exploded into conflict
/thread
>>
>>523931
>Austro-Hungary
thought the same thing 100 years ago...
>>
>>524470
Why would you ever think this? Getting sent to the wrong beach by Churchill the Eternal Anglo to die for British greed isnt enjoyable.
>>
>>523939
He said titanic struggles of nations.

We easily took down Saddam's regime. Afghanistan and Iraq after Saddam weren't real nations. Learn to reading comprehension.
>>
>>523898
You mean how if it wasn't Europe it would've been them fighting each over over scraps or potential wealth in shit lands in Africa, Asia or the new world?.

You don't know how many wars were averted during the Scramble where only because of the restraint of the rulers of the colonial powers were able to stand back and say "why the fuck are we bitching over a shitty swamp in Central Africa or some shit river in Sudan? Just ignore it and deal with more pressing matters"?
>>
>>524806

Any "titanic struggles of nations" now would mean the end of the human race. And veterans from those wars don't lead peachy lives now.
>>
>>524852
>any "titanic struggles of nations" now would mean the end of the human race.

I know that, and I'm most certainly okay with that.

inb4 edgy or suicidal

Nah m8, just a defective human being, more biologically defective than a homosexual/tranny.
>>
>>523935
>he buys into meme propaganda thats its fun and exciting
>>
>>523932
>left fatherless.

and brotherless, sonless, husbandless which meant that many families lost their breadwinner or family support due to male death.
>>
>>523826
>Based
>Annexes world and takes away their indepedence
>Loses it
You're not going be able to post your criteria for a region/continent/group of nations being based are you?
>>
>>524933
It's pretty clear what his criteria is, being so much better at everything that nobody can even imagine to stop you
>>
>>524958
kek
>>
>>523826
>based
nice meme, autist
>>
>>523824
>serb terrorist kills the archduke
>Serbia were you involved in this?
>n-no he has no affiliation with us
>We need to investigate then
>no you c-cannot, but we didn't do it I swear
Come on.
>>
>>525861
Bullshit they wanted the keys to the nation.

Austra-hungryfags are as bad as byzanboos
>>
>>525899
Imagine if the president of any country today were assassinated in Serbia. Would they just stand by and let Serbia conduct it's own "Internal Investigation?" Of course not.
>>
>>523824
answer is eternal anglo
>>
>>525929
Probably wouldn't let the slain president's country handle the investigation either. Especially when the new president is known for wanting to wipe the other country off the map.
>>
>>525945
Provide me a source where Franz Josef states this.
>>
>>525956
I was thinking more of Hotzendorf than Franz Joseph, frankly. The analogy was off since Ferdinand wasn't exactly "president".
>>
>>525861
>>525929
Nice try, Franz, but the Austrian policy was designed with one goal in mind - war with Serbia - and Serbia had actually accepted all points but one of the ultimatum.
>>
>>523824
Because Germans wanted it. That's literally it. That doesn't mean they are the only ones who have the responsibility for starting it, but it is the answer to your question. Why did a war involving all the great powers occur? Because one of those powers dragged it and its power block into a war with the other powers.
>>
>>523824

Jewish elites
>>
WW1 wasn't all dying and trenches guys... read some books, don't watch movies. WW1 is one of the wars most people are ignorant about, hence 99% of the replies in this thread.
>>
>>524052
nah
Conservatism is fedora
Post-structuralism is what all the cool young chads are philosophising about.
>>
>>525990
>one point
>Investigation of the murder of the archduke by Austrian police
How unreasonable! Damn German warmongers. Go Serbia!
>>
>>523902
What country?
>>
>>523824
>pointless war
I had really hoped that /his/ was better than this shitty meme
>>
>>527731
reddit is always ready to make cancerous posts using le sad dude or le mean frog they saved down from facebook
>>
>be serb
>have austrian emperor who is pro slav and federalism
>kill him and cause the destruction of western civilisation

good job serbia
>>
>>523824

Explain to me how WW1 was more or less pointless than any other war.
>>
>>525861
Giving Austria rights to come in Serbia and investigate would make Serbian police useless and it would aswell destroy nation's integrity and sovereignty.
>>
>>527803
Damn you dont know shit about Sarajevo assassination
>>
File: British India-map.jpg (225 KB, 1000x895) Image search: [Google]
British India-map.jpg
225 KB, 1000x895
>>524933
>Annexes world and takes away their indepedence

Except the vast majority of people on the planet were ignorant peasants ruled by brutal dictatorships and theocracies.

Other then India, for the most part European colonialism greatly benefited humanity by eventually exposing everybody on Earth to advanced European concepts of civilization, that are now more or less the standard world wide.
>>
>>523935
of course its not just plain hell, everything has 2 sides and a lot of gray areas in between, some people probably had a pretty good time, some worse but I think it is safe to assume that this kind of "war is manly and great" shit comes from classic 4chan contrarianism and edgyness, I mean nowadays its not half bad, you get good pay, have the best medical shit accesible(even if its not allowed on civilians) and you are relatively secure, that is why I will join my army(hopefully I will make it, its the highest starting rank so they dont take anyone) and probably be a commando officer after a few years.
>>
File: hapsburg-empire_ethnic.png (1 MB, 2000x1547) Image search: [Google]
hapsburg-empire_ethnic.png
1 MB, 2000x1547
>>525861

Hapsburg, please.

You want to expand your empire at the expense of Serbia and this presented the perfect opportunity.

If it wasn't for the assassination, you would have found some other reason to attack them.
>>
>>528225
Setting up trading posts around the world would have been better for the natives in both the short and long run.
>>
File: partition of africa.png (119 KB, 844x551) Image search: [Google]
partition of africa.png
119 KB, 844x551
>>530796

In India for sure, as it was already an advanced society but for Africa, full-on colonialism was needed and should have continued post-WWII.
>>
>>530942
>but for Africa, full-on colonialism was needed
I fully dispute this. I'm holding that Africa and all other colonial territories would have been better off with just trading colonies as opposed to annexation.

I'm sure you will agree with me at least that the native americans would have been better off.
>>
File: Kaiser_Wilhelm_II.jpg (35 KB, 344x486) Image search: [Google]
Kaiser_Wilhelm_II.jpg
35 KB, 344x486
>>523824
>100+ replies
>still no mention of Willy
I know Great Man theory is out of vogue but come on guys.......
>>
>>523948
TOP KEK!!!
>>
File: EUOPEAN-COLONIES-AMERICAS-1763.jpg (90 KB, 466x600) Image search: [Google]
EUOPEAN-COLONIES-AMERICAS-1763.jpg
90 KB, 466x600
>>530951
>I'm sure you will agree with me at least that the native americans would have been better off.

No, Africans, American Indians and Australian Aborigines were simply too far behind the times and out of the loop, though I will agree that some Indian tribes (Iroquois and Cherokee) adopted elements of European civilization very quickly.
>>
>>530987
>American Indians
Am I being rused? You're not suggesting that european occupation was ultimately good for the native americans are you?
>>
>>530999
There's not many native americans who would object. [spoiler]Since most of them died off[/spoiler]
>>
>>530987
>No, Africans, American Indians and Australian Aborigines were simply too far behind the times and out of the loop,
Limiting overseas expansion to small trading cities on the coasts would give the natives access to tech and our ideas in exchange for their resources, and they would slowly adapt and learn from that, eventually catching up.
>>
It's all more complex than what you people think.
>A-H was evil!
False. It wasn't great, but it wasn't evil either. It was a bit backward, true, but that was actually Hungarian part, not Austrian. Franz Ferdinand was a federalist, he wasn't even liked by Austrian court. A-H was like proto-EU.
>Serbs were evil!
False. Read about Bosnia. Read about policies there (elimination of Serb and Croat identity). Read about social situation (Muslims owned 90% of land). Read about Schützkorps.

It was basically a clash of Serbian nationalism with Yugoslav twist (though Serb idea of Yugoslavia was rather Serb-centered), and A-H idea of multicultural empire of Germans, Hungarians and Slavs (though dominated by Germans and Hungarians).
Serbs in that empire would lose independence, Slavs would probably be played off each other, Serb position would potentially be threatened in Bosnia, in Vojvodina, in Croatia.
Of course, it would have positive effects, but Serbs had no reason to trust the monarchy after what happened in Bosnia, or considering previous treatment and interactions.
So yeah, drop the evil-good narrative.
>>
>>523880

yep this pretty much
>>
>>523824
Lel don't care
Independence. Fuck you big European empires.
>>
>>523824
because without them, we would have no aids nor tranny
>>
>>530987

This is the dumbest post I've ever read.
Colonialism means exploiting the natural resources of the colony and sending it back for the benefit of the empire. In return, the Empire is supposed to provide with education and modernization. The thing is, the people being colonized have nothing to say about this - they are in effect serfs to a higher order. You cannot suggest that they were "better off" than otherwise when maybe they didn't want to get modernized. holy shit, look at the state of the world today, it's in complete shambles. Are you suggesting this is the end goal? This is what everyone should aspire to be?
>>
File: 1452333823533.jpg (16 KB, 246x400) Image search: [Google]
1452333823533.jpg
16 KB, 246x400
>>524103
false. why don't YOU read up more on WW1. Most WW1 veterans and historians agree it was a jolly good adventure.
>>
>>531410
Ride a motorcycle, fly in an aeroplane, shoot two germans.
>>
"When the war ended, I don't know if I was more relieved that we'd won or that I didn't have to go back. Passchendaele was a disastrous battle – thousands and thousands of young lives were lost. It makes me angry. Earlier this year, I went back to Ypres to shake the hand of Charles Kuentz, Germany's only surviving veteran from the war. It was emotional. He is 107. We've had 87 years to think what war is. To me, it's a licence to go out and murder. Why should the British government call me up and take me out to a battlefield to shoot a man I never knew, whose language I couldn't speak? All those lives lost for a war finished over a table. Now what is the sense in that?"- Harry Patch, one of Britain's last surviving veterans f the First World War.
>>
File: 1490ad1417412041699.jpg (312 KB, 1200x1641) Image search: [Google]
1490ad1417412041699.jpg
312 KB, 1200x1641
>>530999
> You're not suggesting that european occupation was ultimately good for the native americans are you?

The Aztec, Maya and Inca (and the previously mentioned Iroquois and Cherokee) could conceivably adopt enough European tech and practices to eventually join the rest of the world on a somewhat equal basis but as another anon pointed out, most of them are going to die off due to the unavoidable introduction Old World diseases.

And as bad as European colonization may have been for the Indians, had any other Old World society (such as the Chinese) colonized them first, they would have been exterminated without a second thought and there would be zero Indians alive today.
>>
>>531026
> Limiting overseas expansion to small trading cities on the coasts would give the natives access to tech and our ideas in exchange for their resources

Because of their essentially stone age culture, any trade with the Americas, Africa and Australia would be limited to the most primitive items; beaver pelts and such. The Indians for example, won’t be capable of mining anthracite coal in Pennsylvania and trading it for European manufactured goods, as they have no concept of coal, or mines or even the basic concepts of creating transportation routes to get that coal to your coastal trading towns.

The same goes for Africans (despite being an Old World culture) and there’s no point even discussing the Australian Aborigines, who _today_ live no different then their ancestors in 10,000 B.C.

Compare this to the introduction of firearms in Japan; literally within days of seeing their first European musket, they were manufacturing their own guns because they already had a sufficiently advanced civilization to further build upon.
>>
File: Kiowa-Indian-Camp.gif (75 KB, 547x360) Image search: [Google]
Kiowa-Indian-Camp.gif
75 KB, 547x360
>>531393
> You cannot suggest that they were "better off" than otherwise when maybe they didn't want to get modernized.

Sorry, but history doesn’t work that way. You can’t reject advanced tech and practices and expect the rest of the planet to just leave you alone to hunt buffalo and live in tepees.
>>
>>531410
I see your Jünger and raise you a Remarque.

That book only proves that one german had a good time during the war.
>>
>>532533
>And as bad as European colonization may have been for the Indians, had any other Old World society (such as the Chinese) colonized them first, they would have been exterminated without a second thought and there would be zero Indians alive today.
Is there any place that information could have come from except your own anus?
>>
>>532544
>Americas
>stone age
>what are aztecs
>what are incas
>what is cahokia

>Africa
>stone age
>what are the empires in pic related
>>
>>530942
>Italians try to take Abyssinia and get their asses kicked

Top kek.
>>
>>523824
It wasnt anymore pointless than WW2

Germany fought because it wanted more land (just like Germany in WW2)
France and Rusia fought because they were attacked (just like America in WW2)
Britain fought to defend an ally (just like Britain in WW2)
>>
>>523824
It wasnt anymore pointless than WW3

France, Rusia and Britan fought because they were attacked (just like America in WW2)
fought to defend an ally (just like Britain in WW2)
>>
Hell is fighting a war on behalf of incompetent leaders. WW1 was hell incarnate
>>
>>523824
The european superpowers wanted to try out the new weapons they had invented. They also wanted to test each other to see which empire would reign supreme.

Europe had fallen into a sort of bored daze. European empires dominated the entire planet and the youths of the era started to feel restless. They welcomed the war (at first) and saw it as liberation from boredom and monotony of normal life. So a combination of popular support, romantic nationalism and human competitive instinct triggered the entire thing.

When the war broke out nobody actually thought it would be as bloody as it later ended up. They would just fight each other for a while and then one side would win and that would be that. The 20's something would have something to tell their grandkids and the leaders would have proven the power of their empire. The entire notion of warfare was extremely romanticised. Probably because up until then europeans had mostly fought primitive natives armed with spears or 16th century matchlocks, so casualties were kept to a minimum.
>>
>>532992
It wasnt anymore pointless than WW4

France, Rusia, Britan and Amerca fought because they were attacked (just like America in WW2)
defend an ally (just like Britain in WW2)
>>
>>523824
It wasnt anymore pointless than the scramble for Africa

Leopold fought because he wanted more land (just like Germany in WW2)
France fought because it was attacked (just like America in WW2)
Britain fought to defend an ally (just like Britain in WW2)
>>
>>532572
>what are aztecs
>what are incas
>what is cahokia
Technically all Stone Age

>African """""empires""""" in pic related
How many of those are memes that are actually tribal clusters?
>>
>>533020

Try to use the words correctly
I only came to say that.
>>
>>532998
so many words
so little knowledge
>>
>>532998
>The european superpowers wanted to try out the new weapons they had invented. They also wanted to test each other to see which empire would reign supreme.
Did you get that from the opening to an anime
>>
>>526077
>Reads Ernst Junger once
>>
File: 1450127239813.png (798 KB, 684x868) Image search: [Google]
1450127239813.png
798 KB, 684x868
>>530962
>>
File: _T__RWES.jpg (131 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
_T__RWES.jpg
131 KB, 640x1136
>>
>>533956
Why are you trying to make me mad?
>>
File: 1437051072597.jpg (149 KB, 1167x660) Image search: [Google]
1437051072597.jpg
149 KB, 1167x660
>>533425
>>
>>534138
Meat is murder bro
>>
>>532560
>Is there any place that information could have come from except your own anus?

Yes, look at the manchurians today... oh they are all chinese now. no trace of them is left!
>>
File: large.png (205 KB, 1008x568) Image search: [Google]
large.png
205 KB, 1008x568
>>523824
WW2 was pointless. WW1 was pointful.
>>
>>536661
Assimilation is hardly "extermination without a second thought"

...You're just rusing aren't you
>>
>>536663
>Poland without Wilno and Nowogródek
>>
File: killme.png (30 KB, 155x106) Image search: [Google]
killme.png
30 KB, 155x106
>>524859
>Nah m8, just a defective human being
>>
>>531417
>>532549
Ernst Junger was wounded 14 (!) times during the war, including one time a bullet blew his chest open. I wouldn't consider it a particularly good time.
Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.