[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about pre islamic arabia, /his/. Were they advanced
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: 1424677157544.jpg (84 KB, 381x458) Image search: [Google]
1424677157544.jpg
84 KB, 381x458
Tell me about pre islamic arabia, /his/.

Were they advanced scientifically, compared to their contemporaries?
>>
>>519672
Why?
>>
>>519658
Before Islam, can you name one famous Arab or Berber? Seriously I'll wait.

Unfortunately, the Islamic Golden Age has come to mean Arab Golden Age which could not be farther from the truth, as the biggest contributors were Persian, Turkish, and Spanish.

Don't even try and mention Mesopotamian and Assyrians... they were a completely different "breed".
>>
>>519658
Yes OP, the pre-Islamic Arabs all lived in buildings larger than the Burj Khalifa, drove around in even more guady 4x4s, and could extract their yearly amount of oil production in a day

Then Islam came along and ruined it all. I imagine they must've been pissed off considering how they now had to live in Mediaeval conditions

Oh, that dang Islam!
>>
>>519658
Pre Islam Arabs were barbarian bandits who didn't reach any sort of civilization before long after they destroyed the Zoroastrian cultures
>>
>>519658
They were Africa-tier. Muhammad did give his people some sort of progress. A very artificial kind of progress however. Islam was very civilized (for the time) when it was created.
But instead of going the way of Christianity and branching out and re-evaluating the faith itself, it is the same stunted growth it has always been since it was created during the 7th century. The primitive mind of the Berber tribes had no real imagination of its own so arab culture is local traditions blended with persian philosophy and greek architecture.

So no, pre-islamic arab tribes were not advanced in any way, except for maybe raiding persian/byzantine trade caravans which is how they spent most of their time.
>>
>>521029

>Before Islam, can you name one famous Arab or Berber? Seriously I'll wait.

Philip the Arab
St Augustine
>>
>>522157

>it is the same stunted growth it has always been since it was created during the 7th century

You realize Salafism is a product of the 19th century? 7th-century revivalism has only been trendy for the last hundred years or so
>>
>>519658
The Sabaeans
>>
>>522157
What were pre-islam arabs like?

I heard stuff like child sacrifice and such shit or was that just propaganda?
>>
>>521029
>>521038
>>521042
>>522157
t. retards

Pre-Islamic Arabia was urbanised and civilised.

Mohammad didn't just invent Arab civilisation
>>
>>521029
>Arab
Philip the Arab
Imru al'Qais
Al-Nabigha
Al-Harith ibn Jabalah
Nu'man
Hatim Al Ta'i
St. Aritas
Amr ibn Kulthum
the Seven renowned ones
Shammar Yahrish
Dhu Nuwas
Sayf ibn Dhi-Yazan
Odaenathus

>Berber
Even more relevant in antiquity but I'm not making a list because I'm not bothered.
>>
>>522157
>it is the same stunted growth it has always been since it was created during the 7th century
Islam actually got much worse over time due to being bogged down in hadiths, it didn't just stay the same
>>
>>521029
abu kariba
>>
>>519658
They were sand barbarians sitting between piles of sand
>>
>>522228

Muhammad was just as much a champion of the nomads against the exploitation of sedentary peoples within Arabia as he was one who continued a long tradition of Arab civilization. If anything, a recurring theme in the Qur'an is the tendency for civilizations to get a little too big for their britches, abusing travelers, and thinking they don't need God until God punishes them and turns their civlization into ruins. These would have responded well to the Arab experiences of the tensions between the unsettled and the settled Arabs and the kind of moral corruption Muhammad experienced in Mecca. His first experiences of revelation were during his sojourns to the wilds outside the city of Mecca, which disgusted him for its idolatry and lack of moral compass.

Obviously Muhammad didn't favor nomads over settled Arabs, since the Qur'an condemns both at various points, but he emerges not in the context of an uncivilized Arabia, but in the context of an Arabia that is becoming civilized through the boon of international trade but is lacking in what Muhammad and Arabs understood as spiritual virtue and social justice.

There's something almost Taoist about his transformation from merchant to Prophet, he doesn't experience this transformation in the city he was born or even in the Kaaba, the holiest shrine of Islamic faith, but in the wilderness outside the city.
>>
>>522227
they were mostly pagans worshipping objects, some christians here and there, but, mostly pagans and nomads.
>>
>>522163
this is so important to realize when talking about islamic history.

salafism is not the islamic tradition, in fact it rejects centuries of lived faith (popular beliefs like saint worship, sufism etc.) in favor of their neo-traditionalist imagined past, which never existed in the way they claim. Just think about isis blowing up palmyra and at the same time claiming they are living like the sahaba: if that was what the early days of islam were like then why was palmyra still standing until 2015?

muslims today who are not educated about their own history often believe the salafi preachers though when they say that they stand for the true faith of the prophet and that is the most dangerous thing. original islam was certainly not all peace and rainbows but it was not the sort of totalitarian ideology that wahhabis and salafis today claim that it was
>>
>>522157
>Berber tribes
>berber
lel, go to bed timmy
>>
>>522228
>Mohammad didn't just invent Arab civilisation

He literally did. Islam might as well be synonymous with Arab culture.

Take this. The first written text in the Arabic language was the Qu'ran.
>>
>>524447

you're a fucking idiot
>>
>>524447

We know from the Muslims' own records of the pre-Islamic era that there was literacy among the Arabs, but the written language hadn't been perfected yet. The Arabs who were literate were usually more literate in Syriac, Ethiopian or Greek. But Arab literacy was there, it just wasn't prevalent because the Arabs hadn't perfected their own alphabet until after the Qur'an was revealed. According to Muslim legend, written Arabic was perfected by Muhammad's son in law, Ali.
>>
File: Arabischer_Maler_um_1335_003.jpg (334 KB, 2024x1585) Image search: [Google]
Arabischer_Maler_um_1335_003.jpg
334 KB, 2024x1585
>>524447

>Islam might as well be synonymous with Arab culture

nope

>The first written text in the Arabic language was the Qu'ran

again, nope

take fucking 30 seconds to google before you spout dumb shit
>>
>>524456
Provide a genuine argument or do not respond to my post in the future, thank you.

>>524461
>>524475
There is no need for crass language, give me some counter-evidence or do not reply to my post please, thank you.
>>
>>524481
>pls no bully
Cite your sources then.
>>
>>524481
>give me some counter-evidence or do not reply to my post please

All the Muslim chronicles are agreed that written poetry was a thing even before the Qur'an. Look up Jahliliyyah poetry
>>
>>521029
>what is Iberia
Seriously why does it matter the ethnicity of the contributors if all their work was in Arabic and they had Arabic names and believed in an Arabic religion?
Boggles me every time the contribution of the Islamic world is mentioned.
>>
>>521029
Jesus Christ
You've probably never heard of him though
>>
>>526227
I've never understood the reason that Jesus was made into a real person. Even if there was a guy named Jesus there's no way the myth and the man were the same thing.

Not to say that myth = fable. Religion and myth are great ways to express philosophy without getting too obscure in meaning.
>>
>>519658
Arabia had an ancient mishmash of Cushitic people who introduced crops and animals like Donkey and Camel from Africa. They also had a pre-Afro Asiatic people who while are by no means the absolute oldest were an Upper Paleolithic people who arguably migrated after a long drought that killed the Nubian complex.

The Sabeans and others were certainly around but I can't vouch for throwing anything other than merchants and sailors in cities surrounded by mostly Cushtic herders that later in their collapse altered the South Arabian languages and sellers of fish oil.
>>
>>526289
>pre-Afro-Asiatic

Source?
>>
Basically it was similar to how you think of modern nomadic/trader life. It's not like Muhammad completely changed every aspect of day to day life other than in the fields of morality/law. It was probably even more tribalistic though and we know that some groups like young women and slaves probably had it worse, surprisingly enough. Contrary to the modern day, women held a greater amount of power during pre-modern Islamic times.
>>
Aesop Fables: Hermes and the Arabs

Hermes filled a cart with lies and dishonesty and all sorts of wicked tricks, and he journeyed in this cart throughout the land, going hither and thither from one tribe to another, dispensing to each nation a small portion of his wares. When he reached the land of the Arabs, so the story goes, his cart suddenly broke down along the way and was stuck there. The Arabs seized the contents of the cart as if it were a merchant's valuable cargo, stripping the cart bare and preventing Hermes from continuing on his journey, although there were still some people he had not yet visited. As a result, Arabs are liars and charlatans, as I myself have learned from experience. There is not a word of truth that springs from their lips.
>>
>>521029
Phillip the Arab
>>
there were some arab gnostics too if I recall

Epiphanius (4th century) also mentions there being Marcionites in Arabia
>>
>>530385
K
>>
File: aravian-sage.jpg (9 KB, 85x162) Image search: [Google]
aravian-sage.jpg
9 KB, 85x162
>>519658
>Were they advanced scientifically, compared to their contemporaries?
Well, in case you are doctor and faith to before-quran an allah allow you do painting herbs and sculpt anatomy, that are blessing of scientific works. Rest in free time with music with poetry and slight boose help restore power.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.