[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the United States becoming independent the biggest underdog
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 350x175) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 350x175
Is the United States becoming independent the biggest underdog story in history?
>>
No. It had support from France. It also had uninterruptible supply lines.
>>
Covert America-hate thread?
>>
No. It had support from Spain. It also had its own territory to fight on
>>
>>518249

The Greeks fending off the Persian invasion is surely a bigger one.
>>
>>518249
Britbongs shouldn't have tried to cuck US after the French and Indian War.
>>
>>518302

>believing Heredotus' figures

I'm not sure even the Greeks did
>>
How big a global power was England at the time, like 5th?
>>
>>518312

Even if you don't, take say, VDH's figures, which put the invasion force at roughly equal to the entire adult male population of Greece.

Persia was huge, wealthy, and powerful, and for a divided collection of backwards city states to fend them off is pretty damn weird.
>>
>>518249
Cortés and Pizarro say hi.
>>
the rise of the British Labour party desu
>>
>>518249
nah, the vietnam war is the biggest underdog story in history.
>>
>>518253
and spain
>>
>>518249
Rome
>>
Christianity taking over Roman Empire is one of them.
>>
USA vs Britain isn't even the biggest underdog vs Britain story, much less of all time. Republic of Ireland gets it vs Britain. Not sure what the all time would be, but as >>518302 Greeks vs Persians was a big one.
>>
First Arab–Israeli War
>>
>>518302
But they lost.

>poor Greek states jelly that Persia is so rich
>tries power grabs against the most powerful empire of the time (supporting the uprising in ionia for example)
>Persia says you fuckers better stop or else
>Greeks don't
>Persians go on offensive and fuck their shit up, roll over the 8,000 (was not 300) in Thermopylae, conquer Athens and burn it to the ground
>then just leaves (you have to understand Persian governance, they tried to not rule by force and realized the Greeks would require a lot of force/resources to rule)
>attacks on Persia stop aka victory
>>
>>520458
the Greeks won an important naval battle which stopped the Persian advance forcing them to retreat. Then a few hundred years alexander
>>
>>520458

>What is Salamis?
>What is Platea?
>What is the war of the Delian League?

Are you retarded? Like, parents were siblings level of retarded? They didn't "Just leave". What the fuck do you think Mardonius was doing with a shrunken but still massive army in Boetia? What do you call the raids and attacks all over the Persian Mediterranean coast? The liberation of most of the Ionic states?
>>
>>520482
>Then a few hundred years alexander
Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds?
>>
>>520391
>Republic of Ireland
I'll raise you the Battle of Isandlwana.
>>
>>520513
I call that Greece preventing Persian influence from spreading and enlightening Europe a thousand years before the Romans did. Could you imagine if the spark had been lit in Europe a thousand years sooner?
>>
>>520458
you forgot
>Greeks continue to support and actively fight with Ionian rebels afterwords
>>
>>520531

So, you're a butthurt Persiaboo who can't into honest historical evaluation.

Whether or not Persian rule would have been better or worse for Greece (and there were plenty of areas under Persian rule which didn't exactly advance because of it) is irrelevant to the question of who won the Greco-Persian wars: which is quite obviously the Greeks.
>>
>>518249
No the biggest underdog story is Ireland becoming independent.
>>
>>518249
A bunch of rebelss + two major european powers vs one major european power.
The odds were against Britain

Also, the British Empire of the 18th century wasnt very big
Pic related, in orange on that map
>>
>>518258
>>518404
Can somebody clarify the Spain part? The French are well known for helping out the US along with Steuben but American education almost never mentions the Spanish.
>>
>>520688
Spain was France's bitch since 1701 (kinda like the UK currently is to the US)

France helped the rebels to piss of Britain and Spain joined because France told them to (kinda like the UK joined in Iraq because the US told them to)
>>
>>520688
The largest battle in the American War of Independence was in Gibraltar.
>>
File: cries-in-spanish.jpg (28 KB, 540x380) Image search: [Google]
cries-in-spanish.jpg
28 KB, 540x380
>>520691
I see, thank you. I always wondered why nobody seemed to give a shit about them, I guess it was due to irrelevancy.
>>
>>520711
Explain. Or at least give a source.

Genuinely curious here.
>>
>>520716
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Siege_of_Gibraltar

It wasnt the largest in term of numbers nor the most relevant, but it definitly was the longest
Im not >>520711 btw
>>
>>520760
>The largest battle in the American War of Independence was in Gibraltar.
>It wasnt the largest in term of numbers nor the most relevant, but it definitly was the longest

So are you using "largest" to mean "longest"?
>>
>>518249
No

What happened had to with
>retarded amount of taxes the English were paying to fund the war
>France starting a fuck load of wars everywhere
>France backing the US

As my history teacher once put it:
Imagine Britain and France as two two hundred pound boxers going at it and then there's a fly that's trying it's best not to crushed. That's America.
>>
>>520770
Read the last line
>>
I think Genghis Khan rising to power was.
>>
>>518249
Arabia
The Khanate
or the greeks

Those nobody arabs fucking everyone's shit up was the underdog wetdream
>>
French Revolution.
>>
>>518306
That is DEFIANTLY not what happened. After the seven years war Britain assigned a standing army to the American colonies to ease the burden from the colonists (complying with their wishes) however they asked the colonists to pay for it like the British people do and they went into a frothing Jew rage.
>>
>>518407
This.
>>
>>518249
I'd say no.

It's basically a story about how a small fledgeling nation won its independence from the largest empire on Earth... with the help of the two other largest empires on Earth.
>>
>>518320
I would say 1st... In its capacity to fight land wars, yeah probably 5th - if that. But it was the most industrialized country in the world and had the strongest navy, it was also less of a powder keg than most other European states. Had excellent sources of revenue and taxed with a level of enviable efficiency.
>>
>>520770
I'm not sure where he's getting that. The Grand Assault of September 1782 had over 60,000 French and Spanish soldiers, marines and sailors attacking the fort. That's more than the entire American army, including French allies in America. I'm not sure which other battles in the war involved 70,000 or so combatants.
>>
>>520458
>>then just leaves
>they just left for no reason, still in total conttrol, decided to spare grekz lel xD
See, here's where you're wrong. They won that single battle, but could not win the war, never mind the myriad of other battles where they got their asses kicked, lost a decent number of men and more importantly, morale for campaign.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Plataea
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mycale
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Artemisium
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Salamis

It's clear that both the numbers of soldiers and their losses are grossly over exaggerated in primary sources, but modern estimates still show that your horde of half a million, take, ran away from a fully uphill battle and didn't just decide to spare them for no reason.
>>
>>520530
>Battle of Isandlwana
the Zulu lost the war though
>>
I'd say the Haitian Revolution is waaaaaayyy more impressive considering they were slaves and not a bunch of rich people
>>
File: 1450977200945.jpg (729 KB, 1701x2005) Image search: [Google]
1450977200945.jpg
729 KB, 1701x2005
>>521341
This
>>
>>518320
At the time it had the largest empire EVER
>>
>>521341
Overlooked in comparison because the second part got so batshit out of control and thus it's underdog aspects are overshadowed but how a revolution can go wrong.
>>
>>518402
>nah, the vietnam conflict is the biggest underdog story in history
FTFY
>>
It was impressive yes. But I don't think it was THE biggest underdog victory. If US could have won without the help of France I would consider it a contender for the 1st place.
>>
>>522546
That's false, kiddo
See pic >>520672

The Spanish Empire was wayyyyyyyyy larger than the British one in the 18th century

The British Empire only became the biggest ever in the 2nd half of the 19th century by conquering technologically inferior people in Africa and Asia
>>
Would say the North Vietnamese holding off long enough to force America out was a greater underdog story.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.