[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ancient, classical, and extinct languages and linguistics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: greek-latin-bilingual-text.jpg (120 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
greek-latin-bilingual-text.jpg
120 KB, 640x426
Ok in this thread we will discuss language, languages we know, languages we're learning, languages we'll learn and give advice and recs to other anons and dead tongues in general

I'll start off with a question, should I learn ancient greek or latin first?
>>
>>514845
I'd have to go with Latin, but I have no idea why, just gut feeling. Learned latin in school, and it was pretty cool to be honest.
>>
>>514845
Only Ancient/classical language I know is Biblical Hebrew. Can't be much help to you, OP.
>>
>>514976
How did you learn biblical hebrew? Is there any merit to it?
>>
>>514982

I'm Jewish, and studied at a religious school.

Not sure what you mean by there being merit to it, can you clarify?
>>
>>515004
Did it help you in your life? Do you regret it? Would you recommend learning it?
>>
>>515014

>Did it help you in your life

Not hugely.

> Do you regret it?

Not at all. It's a skill, and skills are generally useful.

>Would you recommend learning it?

Unless you're really interested in biblical scholarship, not really. It doesn't have a very wide application, and if your native language is English, it's going to be tough to pick up, Semitic languages are a bit tough to grasp at first.

I'd say the single biggest practical effect it has had on my life is make me annoyed at how universally shit bible translations are, and wonder why after 2,000 or so years, people still can't get the basic grammar right.
>>
>>514975
Thanks I think I'll go with latin since I'm already interested in other romance languages. Now if could give a good book recommendation so I can into linguistics that'd be appreciated.
>>
>>515189
*if someone could give me
>>
I know both and find greek works better compared to latin. Illiad better than Aenid, Plato better than Cicero etc etc. Also take into account many romans wrote in Greek. (Julian, Marcus Aurelius etc)

I would say Greek dominates every subject except law. So unless you are specifically interested in law you should start with ancient greek.

Learning latin for romance languages is meh. It helps but juice is not worth the squeeze, if you get what I'm saying. I would rather learn a modern romance language than starting into latin.
>>
>>514845
If you are interested in Classical languages you should learn both desu, doesn't really matter which one you start with.

I study Classics with a major in Attic Greek, and it's fascinating.
>>
>>515213
I'll consider all of that, thanks. What other languages do you by the way. I only know english and spanish and I thought it would be easier getting into latin. I've read that greek is more difficult as well.
>>515214
I plan to learn both.
>>
Learn both but start with Latin, just because it is easier than Greek.

In fact some of the Greek courses you find online take for granted the student knows some basics of Latin.

Per faciliora ad difficiliora
>>
Who /pali/ here?

Bāle ca paṇḍite ca kāyassa bhedā ucchijjanti vinassanti na honti paraṃ maraṇā’ti. Sace imassa bhoto satthuno saccaṃ vacanaṃ, akatena me ettha kataṃ, avusitena me ettha vusitaṃ. Ubhopi mayaṃ ettha samasamā sāmaññaṃ pattā, yo cāhaṃ na vadāmi ‘ubho kāyassa bhedā ucchijjissāma, vinassissāma, na bhavissāma paraṃ maraṇā’ti.
>>
>>514845

هل اي موجود هنا الذي يتكلم بالفصحى؟

\اهلا\
>>
>>515004
I've never seen anyone admit to being Jewish unironically on this site
>>
>>515693
I'm sure there are a lot of interesting texts to read in Pali, but I'm not sure why you'd learn it over Sanskrit. Also Pali is sort of boring sounding IMO.

>>516219
Ana darastu 3rabiy saghir lakin laysa utkalamuhaa. Haha omg my Arabic is terrible. I'd love to take it up again because it was so fun, but I'm way too caught up with uni.
>>
>>516733

I like reading Arabic a lot. I'm much better at that than speaking.
>>
>>516742
Agreed. I think it's because the grammar has a really floaty feel to it so you're never really sure if you've said something correctly. Reading it is really fun though, the consonant roots and inflections make it seem like a puzzle almost.
>>
File: jamielynnsiglersopranos.jpg (91 KB, 700x508) Image search: [Google]
jamielynnsiglersopranos.jpg
91 KB, 700x508
other than literature, are there any reasons to learn italian?
i've been learning italian the past couple of weeks, and since i already speak spanish, italian has been really easy to learn.
i can't find a good way to use it, but i'll learn it anyway. i should be able to reach a good level in less than 2 months.
>>
>>516788
Not really. You can travel or live in Italy? Italy is an amazing country. Also some people in Switzerland, Albania and Eritrea speak it I guess.
>>
>>516733
-easier than Sanskrit, easy to pick up if you're learning Sanskrit also
-read the most ancient Buddhist poems in the Sutta Nipatta
-the motherfucking Dhammapada, fuck yes
>boring sounding
Are we reading the same language familia?
>akatena me ettha kataṁ, avusitena me ettha vusitaṁ.
That kicks ass.
>>
> learning languages for any other reason that to read poetry

it's literally the best form of language
>>
>>516788
Improving your writing , mind and maybe translation work but that's all up to you I guess. The reason I want to learn latin and ancient greek is to improve my writing later on.
>>
>>514845
I'm learning Volapük...
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.