[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could someone disprove solipsism please?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4
File: 1423024347220.jpg (35 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1423024347220.jpg
35 KB, 480x640
Could someone disprove solipsism please?
>>
I would, but there would be no point since you're not real anyway.
>>
Pretty sure God disproves solipsism, and I experience him as intimately as I experience I.
>>
>>511648
That doesn't prove you exist.
>>
>>511815
Solipsism doesn't deny that I exist, in fact solipsism maintains that I am the only thing I can be sure of.
>>
>>511821
Not from my point of view.
>>
>>511833
I fail to see how that is relevant.
>>
>>511841
Because if you're arguing against solipsism, you're not arguing with yourself.
>>
>>511833
>>511841

thus it is proven to be nothing more than blind egocentrism.
>>
>>511851
If I accept the premise of solipsism, I am in fact arguing with myself
>>
>>511878
Except the entire premise of the thread is to argue against it, retard. Your only argument so far is circular, but as a christian, I'm sure you're very familiar with those anyway ;)
>>
>>511625
experiences exist independent of the ego; you are not born with knowledge of all.

if you were the only mind, you would be omniscient, since there is nothing but you.
>>
>>511886
Solipsism is in itself begging the question, so I see no problem.
>>
>>511897
>if you were the only mind, you would be omniscient
Not necessarily. Is the controlable character in a video game omniscient just because he is the only one with a consciousness?
>>
>>511625
you literally can't
>>
It is disproven.

I have disproven it.
>>
>>511625

Wittgenstein
>>
Does anyone else believe this solipsism bullshit or is it just me?
>>
>>512277
I've been starting to believe it more and more recently. Great minds think alike!
>>
File: 1402836594299.jpg (11 KB, 441x408) Image search: [Google]
1402836594299.jpg
11 KB, 441x408
>>512277
>>512281
>>
>>512277

I see what ya did there.
>>
>>512277
>>512281
haha rekt
>>
>>511642
I laughed.
Did you imagine this replay to feel better about yourself or do you lack control of your illusions?
>>
>>512141
yes, because the mind that controls it is outside the videogame you fucking retard

if solipsism is true then your mind is all there is, and you should know everything that is happening all the time because everything is an emanation of your mind
>>
>>511625
Solipsism is untrue because I disbelieve it :^)
>>
>>513820
Oh, ok. Thanks, now I understand what is right. :^P
>>
>>513827
Is the mouth of the emoticon twisted 90 degrees to the right?
>>
File: 1448758258001.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1448758258001.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
1. Solipsism states that only one's mind exists.
2. Organisms are the result of evolution.
3. The human mind came about as a result of evolution.
4. The mind came about by organism's interactions with their environment.
4. Therefore, something other than the mind exists, i.e. the environment, otherwise it would not have exist.
5. Solipsism is false.
>>
>disproving something
>"what is burden of proof"
you don't prove that something does not exist, you refute how wrong someone is by saying that it does, retard
>>
>>513927
So prove that you're real and not a figment of my imagination.
>>
>>513948
I have an imagination.
I know this because I am a solipist.
So I'm not a fragment of your imagination.
You're one of mine.
But at the same time you have imagination, you know that.
So this is a paradox. How can everything come from your imagination and everything come from my imagination at the same time. Which one is the true world?
>>
>>513975
There's no paradox. You can't have imagination, because you're merely a figment of mine. I could easily imagine you having an imagination, doesn't mean you have one - or indeed that there is a "you".
>>
>>511625
I couldn't have imagined sasha grey's fine ass.
>>
>>511648
How do you know your experience of God isn't another illusion created by you?
>>
>>513998
ok then, have fun living in your own autistic imaginashiun world
>>
>>513871
STEM fags canĀ“t into philosophy
>>
>>511625
>Could someone disprove solipsism please?
You're too stupid to imagine the world.
>>
>>513871
You can't accept premise 2 if solipsism is true.
They contradict themselves so you have proven nothing.

>if A, then no-B
>If B, then no-A
>I choose to believe B because why not
>therefore no-A.
>>
>>514115
Welcome to arguing.
>>
>>512273
>Wittgenstein always gets ignored when posted in solipsism threads

W I T T G E N S T E I N

YOU FUCKS

P U B L I C L A N G U A G E
>>
>>514016
How do you now your experience of you isn't another illusion created by God?
>>
>>514286
If I were an automaton of some sort that didn't actually have a conciousness I wouldn't be capable of doubting my own existence or realizing I'm a thinking entity.
>>
>>511625
Listen to me, It simply isn't true, you wouldn't lie to yourself now would you?

>Dostoyevsky
>existentialist
Is this a joke?
>>
>>514343
Dostoevsky is considered a proto-existentialist alongside Kierkegaard and Nietzsche.
>>
>>511625
The universe doesnt cease to exist everytime someone dies.
>>
>>514402

Well for them it does
>>
>>514016
Solipsism claims that your mind is the only thing that exists. Thus illusions cannot exist because it implies that the way you perceive reality is different from true reality, thus there exists something other than your mind namely an independent reality. Also as a result you're omniscient.
>>
>>514360
Not him, but I tend to lump those three plus Camus, Sartre, and Beauvoir as existentialism because modern philosophy bores me.
>>
>>511648
you'd have to prove God exists first, buddy
>>
>>513871
>oh hey I'll just disregard the central claim of solipsism, that'll be sure to disprove it!
>>
File: darkstar1.jpg (35 KB, 550x367) Image search: [Google]
darkstar1.jpg
35 KB, 550x367
I taught this AI existential phenomenology and all i got was a stupid explosion
>>
>>515912
Not to you, obviously.
>>
>>516012
What makes me so special? If you're trying to disprove something, you can't just presuppose the perfect thing that will disprove it and then say that it's consequently disproven; especially when the actual existence of said thing is of significant widespread contention.
>>
>>511625
If your mind exists, reality exists, and you're only arguing over the nature of reality.
>>
>>511625
The Chinese Room?
>>
Is solipsism stating that I can only prove that my own self is real, or is it saying that my own self is the only thing that is real?
>>
>>516033
Since solipsism is the doctrine that only "I" exist, disproving it to myself disproves it I don't need to disprove it for each and every person, obviously, because solipsism is only addressing me, not you.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.