[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw will never travel in a zeppelin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: hindenburgdininghall.jpg (72 KB, 736x513) Image search: [Google]
hindenburgdininghall.jpg
72 KB, 736x513
>tfw will never travel in a zeppelin
>>
File: 1930s-car-TGJ.03.jpg (101 KB, 660x440) Image search: [Google]
1930s-car-TGJ.03.jpg
101 KB, 660x440
1930s were classy af
>>
File: Nuremberg Rally.jpg (262 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Nuremberg Rally.jpg
262 KB, 800x450
AESTHETIC
>>
>>510755
>art deco/streamline modern will never return
>>
>>512121
It did in 90s editorial art. Also in industrial design in the 80s. Really, it never quite left.

On the other hand, it was pure nostalgia from the get-go, nobody liked cars like>>510771 at the time as (slightly) more modern designs were already commonplace.

I ask why do you want it to return other than that contemporary design is more often than not total shit?
>>
>>510755
You could travel in a Zeppelin NT
>>
>>512172
So I can buy a top hat and drive around in my art deco car pretending I'm a comic book villain.
>>
>>512172
To justify blasting Elgar's violin concerto out my window.
>>
>>512226
>>512229
You can do all that now you filty steamaboos.
>>
Why doesn't some travel company just build a new zeppelin of that size and offer really expensive intercontinental flights. I'm sure rich people would lap it up.
>>
>>510755
Sad thing is modern Zeppelins are safe as fuck. I do wonder what the advantage would be over an airplane, though.
>>
>>510755
Zeppelins are coming back tbqh
>>
>>514303
I like the idea of zeppelins as a "aerial cruise." the views would probably be more spectacular approaching cities from the sky rather than a port too
>>
>>514461
also you wouldn't be constrained so much by sea routes, so you could travel far inland into places
>>
>>514461
>>514468
My thinking is it'd be far better to use zeppelins as overland sightseeing trips.

Send that shit down through the Grand Canyon or up over the Rockies.
>>
>>514474
yeah thats what I'm saying too. I'm not sure how feasible it would be sending zeppelins to the rockies though. iirc the one and only time a zeppelin tried to dock on the empire state building the wind was too strong and the it almost crashed. But I think the idea of using the zeppelin for visiting natural wonders or even inland cities would be cool. Imagine an inland city becomes known as a hub for zeppelin travel.
>>
File: lz127-speisesaal_3.jpg (283 KB, 1824x1265) Image search: [Google]
lz127-speisesaal_3.jpg
283 KB, 1824x1265
>>514474
Exactly, aerial cruises
>>
Anyone got more pics of fancy Zeppelin interiors?
>>
File: empire state zeppelin dock.jpg (96 KB, 500x609) Image search: [Google]
empire state zeppelin dock.jpg
96 KB, 500x609
>>514474
I would think metropolitan area to the next would be titties.
>>
>>514303
I think various military organisations around the world are looking into zeppelins as a transportation vehicle. Hopefully they'll make a comeback and someone starts manufacturing public models eventually.
>>
I've always wondered why they don't make massive flying structures ala naval carriers. It'd be far more effiicient and good luck bringing it down if you have thousands of drones in hundreds of miles of radius.
Literally a massive Mothership.
>>
What happened to Goodyear? I don't see their Zeppelins anymore
>>
>>517981
Weren't those blimps?
>>
>>514303
>Sad thing is modern Zeppelins are safe as fuck

I don't know anything about them but how do they manage in storms/high winds or other dangerous situations that a plane can just fly over or maneuver away from?
>>
>>517999
> The American naval ships USS Akron and USS Macon may also be referred to as zeppelins since they were built by the Goodyear-Zeppelin joint venture.
>Zeppelins still fly today and the new Goodyear airship is a not a blimp but a zeppelin, built by a descendant of the same company that built Graf Zeppelin and Hindenburg.

http://www.airships.net/dirigible

Zeppelins are basically a brand name of rigid air ships with an internal structure. Blimps have no structure and holds its shape from internal pressure.
>>
>>517941
They risk exploding of stray bullets due the way Zeppelins worked.
But yes, it would be nice.
>>
>>518113
Couldn't you just make the structure out of some durable yet light fabric like kevlar or something?
>>
>>518155
No because it would still have to be a missile sponge.
>>
>>518341
cant we use helium (nonreactive) and make a hydrogen core somehow?
>>
>>513753

They wouldn't. Look at Amtrak, who offers entire rooms for rent on their long haul routes. Few people go for them due to the cost and slowness. Even fewer people lash up private coaches for luxury travel.

related:

https://www.amtrak.com/privately-owned-rail-cars
>>
File: car.jpg (343 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
car.jpg
343 KB, 640x426
>>518950

That's because the Amtrak "rooms" are like high occupancy Chinese shanty apartments.

I would kill to have a private rail car on the other hand.
>>
>>518970

on a 20-30 hour trip, having your own bunk and a toilet is comfy as fuck
>>
>>515876
Apart from a few tests they never really used the Empire State Building as airship dock, though. Apparently it's too windy for it to be safe.
>>
Bump because this is a comfy thread
>>
Zeppelins are cool
>>
>>518970
That's gaudy as fuck, not even remotely aesthetic.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.