[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is a good book to read about stoicism? Ideally, a contemporary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2736x3648) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2736x3648
What is a good book to read about stoicism?

Ideally, a contemporary look at the philosophy.
>>
Read the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
Then read Epictetus' Discourses.

The rest is rest. Seneca was not much of a stoic, there are few fragments of Musonius, Marcus Aurelius was not a professional philosopher and his books were his exercises. And we have almost nothing on the other ones.
>>
>>508864
The SEP article is pretty good. Then move on to the Cambridge History of Hellenistic Philosophy for greater depth—though still accessible to non-classicists.

AA Long, Epictetus - a Stoic and Socratic guide to Life (2002)
B. Inwood, Reading Seneca (2005)
R. Brouwer, The Stoic Sage - The Early Stoics on Wisdom, Sagehood and Socrates (2014)

I haven't yet gotten around to reading Eric Gunderson, Sublime Seneca (2015)
>>
Can someone give me a sum up of what was the main "dogma" of the stoics?
>>
File: 1440668935581.png (439 KB, 1024x441) Image search: [Google]
1440668935581.png
439 KB, 1024x441
>>511558
>>508864
>>
>>511558
Cynicism for pussies.
Epicureanism for wussies.
>>
Anything by Seneca. He's just a bit hypocritical since he preaches poverty while being the richest man in Rome.
>>
Pierre Hadot. I think he's translated to English. If not, learn French.
>>
>>511558
Ratio/logos/reason is the highest good.
Emotions suck and you shouldn't be affected by them.
Don't worry about the things you can't change, it's Fortuna.
Luxury is useless. The body doesn't care whether it drinks wine from a golden cup or water from a pond.
Spend your time on philosophy (which includes/is the same as science) and reading.
Money is bad, rich people live in constant fear of losing all they have: The poor are happier.
We are all slaves to fortune, those who chain and those who are chained.
>>
>>511795
> Sartre stealing the purse
top kek
>>
Tad Brennan - The Stoic Life
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.